This isn't new or novel, but maybe i'll document something that will help others (and I also might need some advice myself).
For the last year, driving 30-50 mph on street when I hit a small bump, i get a very very slight wobble in the steering. I let of gas and it goes right away. I've checked all bolts and they seem tight. When I torqued and balance the tires it seems to go away for a while.
Yesterday I was approaching a toll booth (~40mph) slightly on the brake, changed lanes going over the reflector bumps when it went into full on death wobble. Whole jeep shook, steering wheel violently went 10-2-10-2. The shaking didn't stop until I came to a complete stop.
So today I'll tear into it and see what I can find. This sucks as I have no idea what's the issue. I've read the threads, so I'll check usual suspects.
Current set up:
- 07 4dr Rubicon (Shrockworks front stubby and rear bumper)
- Stock tires for 25K miles, 35 KM2 for 15K miles and 37KM2 for 1K miles
- Synergy Stage II 3" lift installed in 2008 when I moved to 35KM2 (poly track bar axle bracket without the cam bolt washer)
- Stock tie rod
- stock track bar
- axle C brackets & sleeves
- Been offroad 7 -8 times for 1 day rides and i baby it
Updated findings (5/21):
- Trackbar bolts seemed tight, but when removed the trackbar mount holes are larger than bolt (see video links below)
- Stock tie rod ends have 1/16 vertical play when squeezed with channel locks
- Flipped draglink end has 1/16 to an 1/8 inch of horizontal play when steering wheel turned. The end threads and castle nut don't move, so horizontal movement is in TRE.
Trackbar axle mount
Trackbar frame mount
Trackbar bolt holes
Fixes in progress:
- (5/23) Replaced track bar bolts with 9/16" bolts with full sholder through brackets. This took up all the extra slack so the bolts couldn't move around. (still have issues with shimmy / wobble)
- (5/25) Dealer inspected and claims ball joints and wheel hub/bearings assemblies are fine.
-- 6/5 --
- Draglink end is looser than new TREs. Swivels easy and has 1/16 of play when I just grab it with my hands.
- Toe was 1/8" out (everyone says it should be 1/8" in, so I'm 1/4" off)
- Caster is 9 degrees
-- 6/6 update --
What I've done:
- I've replaced both track bar bolts with 9/16 bolts
- Added adjustable trackbar centered axle
- Added track bar frame brace
- Added new tie rod adjusted toe-in to 1/8"
- Centered steering by adjusting drag link.
- Steering stablizer is NOT installed at this time
- wobble is greatly reduced, there is still a constant minor vibration (but if I wasn't chasing DW I probably wouldn't think twice about it)
- ESP/etc lights are sometime on / sometimes off
Next Steps (to be completed next week):
- Caster is 9 degrees, plan to reset to 5 degrees
- A re-measurement found axle needs to shift 1/8" to passenger
- Steering wheel is just slightly off, but that's an easy adjustment
- Drag link TRE is questionable, new one on order and will be replaced
- Will be installing Poly drag link TRE adapter (because it has better contact/support than the current reamed setup)
- Replace all LCA bolts with 9/16 bolts from PP F911 hardware kit + adding cam elimination washers.
I will update after all fixes have been completed
-- Update 7/17 --
- I replaced the drag link TRE and used the 7/8 insert adapter. I believe the issue was with my poorly drilled tappered hole and not the TRE.
- I replaced all front control bolts with 9/16 and found LCA frame bolt holes to be wallowed slightly.