drive shafts - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 05-20-2011, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
drive shafts

at what size lift should they be replaced? and if you were going to do one at a time what one would you do first

Steel Blue 07 2dr
"Its the A.M bitches, its time for donuts!"
Jersey
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-20-2011, 10:42 PM
Granite Guru

I installed a Teraflex 2.5" coil 4dr kit on my 2010 2dr rubi 3 weeks ago and I just ordered a complete driveline package from Coast Driveline.

I have a vibration from my front driveshaft, I tried adjusting the lower control arms to less than factory specs and it drove like crap and vibration was still there! No torn boots or any signs of failure, just a bad vibration! took the shaft out smooth as glass!

I guess it just depends, I got over 3" of lift and do not have any heavy accessories.

I also have Teraflex monster track bars, front lower and rear upper control arms.

This lift is getting expensive, But Bill from Coast assures me my vibration will go away and I can go back to a normal caster range!

I never anticipated needing them so soon but it is what it is.....Flip a coin, No way to tell until after the install.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-20-2011, 11:32 PM
Rock God

I'm not sure if I got lucky or what but I have a TF 2.5 spring lift and when I installed my 5.38s they (4WP Denver) told me I would probably need a new front drive shaft or I would get vibration out of the front end. ??? "cause it's spinnin faster"??? Figured I would wait to see if I had any problems and I didn't so I'm still running stock shafts, no problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-21-2011, 12:49 AM
Rock God

Garage

they say that anything with a 2.5 lift or higher you should replace the ds. i'm running a 3.5 rk lift and stock gears, frnt lower control arms and stock drive shaft as well and no vibrations ever! even when i had the 2.5 bb on there last year had no problems.

2011 MANGO TANGO sahara jku....bone stock.
r.i.p.08 jk x steel blue

CALL MARCUS.. NUFF' SAID..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-21-2011, 04:26 AM
JKO Addict!

Dustin Id replace the front first a lot of people tear the boot on the exhaust crossover pipe, and they go down hill from there.

Official sponsor of the Jersey
Crew

"Wasn't Me I was in Sweetwater"
post #6 of 10 Old 05-21-2011, 06:09 AM
JPK
Rock God

I am still running stock shafts with an AEV 4.5" lift and 37's on a JKU. 20,000 lifted miles and going strong.

My Jeep has a Hemi and a 545rfe transmission as well as RROR skids, the different transmission and the RROR skids don't interfere with the front DS at full droop and cause boot tearing, whereas the oem 42rfe trans and the oem skid do, and sometimes the exhaust cross over as well.

If you don't tear the boot your oem shafts should be fine on a four door. In fact, the oem shafts are stonger than most aftermarket shafts because the rzeppa joint is stronger than the aftermaket u-joints. There will be less vibration with the oem shaft as well since the rzeppa is a true constant velocity joint.

If you do tear your front DS boot then it seems results vary widely, with some shafts lasting more than a year with a torn boot and some not lasting more than a month or so. As an alternative to a double cardin jointed shaft, you can send AEV your front drive shaft and the will modify it to make it thinner and (greasable too) to prevent auto trans/skid plate/exhaust interference while maintaining the rzeppa joint.

I have read that two doors with tall lifts reportedly need rear shafts because of length and angle issues.

JPK
post #7 of 10 Old 05-21-2011, 06:40 AM
Rock God

I have 51k on my jk. About 30,000+ on my 2.5" TF coil lift. The front start boot on the drive shaft tore the first time I flexed it. I've been keeping it lubed manually ever since. So far do good...knock wood.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Adam
First Jeep:

(heavily modded and wheeled!)
Last Jeep:

Sunburst Orange

Ordered 11/14/08
Shipped 11/25/08
Delivered 11/28/08

Mods:
Wrangler MT/R 35x12.5x15 on Soft 8's for the trails.
Duratrac 35" on Dick Cepek's for DD'ers.
5.13s, TF 2.5" Coil Lift, LCAs, & track bar, Mopar bumpers, WARN 9.5ti, diff covers, lots o' skids, EVAP relocated, breathers extended, ALLGIG, backup cam, Soundcoat Absorbtion Panels, and more...
post #8 of 10 Old 05-21-2011, 11:01 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Run the stock shaft till you need to change it unless the vibes are real bad. That said, it'll probably be my next mod even though I'm really not having any major issues.

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #9 of 10 Old 05-21-2011, 12:26 PM
JKO Addict!

when they die
plan on front dieing first
post #10 of 10 Old 05-22-2011, 12:57 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

For sure replace the rear first. I had a 4" Teraflex spring lift and had the rear fail at 70 mph on the hwy The front will get a ripped boot but that won't make it fail. Most of us spend at least 90% of our time on the street so the rear gets the workout. It will fail first in most cases.

All good now - JE Reel 1350 front & rear

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

Last edited by TEXASKEV; 05-22-2011 at 01:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode