Reason #15432 to Upgrade to RECON by Rebel - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-19-2011, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Reason #15432 to Upgrade to RECON by Rebel

Rebels,
A very good customer of ours ordered our front RECON conversion and opted for an expensive Fox shock and Teraflex spring combo for the rear of his 2-door JK. Why? He was unsure if coilovers were safe to be mounted in the Jeep JK shock OEM location like in our RECON conversion.

We discussed how coilovers inherently prevent damage to their tower due to the strength and durability of the spring. We discussed that we've never had a single coilover come back with damage to the tower from the hundreds of systems we've sold throughout the US, Canada, Mexico, and Greece. We showed him the coilovers on the back of the Jeeps at our facility - how the powdercoat shows minor wear from rock contact - and yet no damage to the tower itself. We showed him how the lower coilover mount has a skid plate integrated to protect the bolt and lower control arm joint.

Still, the customer opted for an alternative setup. No fear, we knew he was an experienced driver and would have a great weekend with his buddies in any event.

Monday morning this week he comes back by the shop to drop off his Jeep. He didn't say anything, just pointed to his Jeep's rear suspension. Sure enough - the damage had been done. While descending an obstacle a rock caught the bottom of his Fox shock's reservoir, shifted it counter clockwise, and pushed it up into the upper shock mount of the Jeep's frame. The steel braided line was destroyed and the Jeep lost all up travel in that corner.

Needless to say - our rear RECON coilover conversion was ordered and King 2.0 12" coilovers are being built as I type.

http://www.rebeloffroad.com/product_...n-complete.htm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-19-2011, 09:46 PM
JKO Addict!

huh?
So instead of a new shock and a couple of $5 clamps to put the res on the frame or crossmember he is ditching it all and doing a almost 2K setup?

Wish I had that kinda money

Then again, I mounted my reservoirs where they were not a target.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-19-2011, 10:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdoc14 View Post
Exactly!

Current project jeep 08' wrangler 2dr
Past jeep:
- 07' Rubicon 4 dr, RAMICON- 3.5" ROCK KRAWLER Coil-Over lift
- 5.38 gears- Gusseted/Trussed/inner sleeved
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-20-2011, 06:35 AM

Must be nice to have deep pockets.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-20-2011, 07:26 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
huh?
So instead of a new shock and a couple of $5 clamps to put the res on the frame or crossmember he is ditching it all and doing a almost 2K setup?

Wish I had that kinda money

Do you have any pictures?

I have 5160's coming and I need some ideas where to mount the reservoirs. I was just going to strap them to the shock body but I did not realize how easy it would be to smash it on a rock.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-20-2011, 07:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcally View Post
Do you have any pictures?

I have 5160's coming and I need some ideas where to mount the reservoirs. I was just going to strap them to the shock body but I did not realize how easy it would be to smash it on a rock.
not any more as my shocks are outboarded from the frame (outside with hoops) but there is a cross member quite literally RIGHT THERE that you can put the reservoirs on, you can see it in the picture. Or you can put them on the inside of the frame rail as well.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-20-2011, 08:13 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
not any more as my shocks are outboarded from the frame (outside with hoops) but there is a cross member quite literally RIGHT THERE that you can put the reservoirs on, you can see it in the picture. Or you can put them on the inside of the frame rail as well.
Thanks

Do you know where to get some mounting brackets that I can bolt or weld on the frame to mount the reservoir. I really do not want to use the hose clamps. I would like to find a better solution.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-20-2011, 08:58 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Thanks

Do you know where to get some mounting brackets that I can bolt or weld on the frame to mount the reservoir. I really do not want to use the hose clamps. I would like to find a better solution.
check out poly...the have resi clamps you can weld on......
post #9 of 9 Old 05-20-2011, 09:01 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Thanks

This is what I did works much gooder now

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...t=rock+magnets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode