Springs or Spacers - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 05-18-2011, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Springs or Spacers

I'm looking to modify front/back to accomodate weight of bumpers, etc. Might want to go to 33" tires, so I'm not planning on a radical lift. Two options are appealing: replace coil springs (e.g., Eibach leveling lift kit) or spacers (many brands available). Any thoughts or experience?

And would installation of either then require other modifications to steering, suspension, etc?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-18-2011, 09:04 PM
Granite Guru

If your going to run most of the time on the street with little to no wheeling you can get away with just a BB kit. Off road - doing a spring lift is the better way to go. Higher spring rates, handling, actual suspension travel.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-18-2011, 09:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Spacers

I've wheeled the shit out of spacers and even shock extensions out of a rubicon on 35s. Not as good as a "real lift" but far from a "street" or "light trail use" application.

Sent via paper airplane

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-18-2011, 09:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

I disagree
OP says its to accommodate heavier bumpers/winch etc
more weight on stock springs = sag over time

carrying more weight needs higher rated springs, not just mashing the under rated springs farther.

I had a BB on my rig, added bumpers, winch etc and a couple of months later it sagged
We did Chris's 2dr rubi, had a BB lift - added a bumper and winch, a couple of months later it sagged

if you plan on adding weight, use correctly rated springs to compensate, not just spacers to make up for stock spring "squish"

I wouldn't use eibach springs, maybe on a street car, but not a jeep.
get real springs from poly, ome, tf or someone that specializes in off road vehicles.

2.5" spacers in the rear w 3" springs in the front works pretty good though

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-18-2011, 10:06 PM
JKO Addict!

^ true. I overlooked it was more for weight and not height. I did put rubicon unlimited springs on my 2dr. Pretty cheap upgrade if op is running a 2dr

Sent via paper airplane

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-19-2011, 05:48 AM
Granite Guru

I have 2.5 teraflex coils,my JK is a 2dr,and this are the new tera springs
specific for a 2dr,they hold up my bumpers very well and the ride is a dream,
with the new ones they even fixed the bowing issue in the front springs,
my actual lift is 2-3/4 in the front and 2-3/8 in the back.
good luck!
PS:no sagging thus far.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-19-2011, 08:17 AM
Rock God

Please please please don't do spacers if your adding weight or plan on wheeling. I had RE 2.5 spacers, added a front bumper winch and sliders, maybe 6 months later the springs were sagging very bad. When I upgraded to a RK 2.5 stock mod lift I gained about 3" measured at the middle of the vehicle (not strictly front or back measurements), so you can see the sag was substantial. Not to mention the fact that it felt like I was riding around on square stone wheels. Spacers place stress on the springs constantly compressing them slightly, which will cause premature wear. If you are adding weight you will eventually want to go with new springs, the stock springs simply aren't rated for it. I would say avoid my mistake and do it right the first time.

2008 Detonator 2Dr. 6 Sp.
Olympic double tube sliders I Rugged Ridge front XHD I Smittybilt XRC 8 I Ef's pod I Chopped flares I Rock krawler 2.5" stock mod with Bilstein 5100s I 35" Dick Cepek Crushers

Jersey

Crew
post #8 of 10 Old 05-19-2011, 08:58 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i went with a bb for moneys sake.
ive got the rubi springs in. didnt do to much for me.really heavy winch/bumper combo.

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
post #9 of 10 Old 05-19-2011, 09:48 AM
TrailDuty.com

Spacers are cheap, but as much work as changing the springs. Spacers will not stress the springs or do anything to them that is not already happening. You can stack spacers at the front, if you stack them at the rear there is a good chance they will fall out when flexed, this may even happen with a single spacer.

As already mentioned, the better solution is correctly rated springs for your application. The disadvantages are that they are more expensive and you may not get it right first time, but they are a better long term solution.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-19-2011, 11:12 AM
Rock God

Rock Krawler Stock Mod kit. Has new progressive rate springs. Coupled with the recommended Bilstein shocks yields a very nice on road ride and room to fit 37's if you later add flat flares.
I added a few hundred pounds of steel armor and my ground clearance is still 6.5" higher than stock. This is from the RK2.5" kit, another 2.5" from the 37's and about another 1.5" from the RROR skid plate kit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode