Question about 40" MTRs w Kevlar - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 05-18-2011, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Question about 40" MTRs w Kevlar

I've got a friend with a K5 Blazer thats looking at a set of MTR's. He's worried about vehicle weight and potential sidewall damage. Any of you guys running 40's have any issues? Anything to look out for? what about tread life?

The K5 weighs in at about 5000 lbs. I figure we're about even in weight once the armor, bumpers, axles and everything else is upgraded... I seem to remember Hitmoney saying he weighed in about ~6600lbs

Its between the KM2 and the MTRs... and the KM2 are almost $200/tire more.

Joe -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-18-2011, 01:53 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

They are both Load Range C tires. They'll work, especially if he's just wheeling it.

Marcus

post #3 of 13 Old 05-18-2011, 02:01 PM
...slightly sane.

goodyear shows that the 40X13.50R17LT has a max load of 3,195lbs @ 35psi

that should handle a jk or a skinny 5k lb k5...

|
|

Last edited by skivviss; 05-18-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-18-2011, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Any actual experience from anybody.. come on, I know there are several of you running these tires... at least I thought there was

Joe -
-
-
-
post #5 of 13 Old 05-18-2011, 03:31 PM
Rock God

I went from a 72 K5 on 35's to my 4dr on 35's. My K5 with full cage and 4" .250 wall front and rear bumpers weighed in a couple hundred pounds less than my JK does. He's got nothing to worry about.

Mike
post #6 of 13 Old 05-18-2011, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Garage

Do the MTR/k's and don't look back.. not only is it a great tire, but weighs in like a 35" and is more true to size than a KM2.

KM2 is obviously a great tire as well, but if it came down to a choice for me, it would be MTR/k without a second thought.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #7 of 13 Old 05-18-2011, 03:51 PM
Rock God

I love my MTR/k's for the trail and street combo. Slippery Jeep weighs in at about 6000. I would chose something else if I was trail only... red label 39's, lol.

post #8 of 13 Old 05-18-2011, 04:06 PM
TrailDuty.com

I ran 40" MT/R Kevlars for two years, 60k+ miles and never had any issues with the sidewalls. I don't know the weight of Jeep, but it's over 5000 lbs. Ran them at 6 psi off-road and flexed the hell out of the sidewalls with no problems, folded the sidewalls over completely on many occasions.

They do a sticky version, but I don't know how easy they are to get. Here's some sticky 40" MT/R Kevlars in action:

post #9 of 13 Old 05-18-2011, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

thanks guys! that really helps...

Joe -
-
-
-
post #10 of 13 Old 05-18-2011, 05:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yeah, it'd be an easy decision if GY would just make the damn things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #11 of 13 Old 05-18-2011, 09:07 PM
Granite Guru

I've seen a few fat K5s running K-MTRs. no issues i seen. Both had no beadlocks.
post #12 of 13 Old 05-18-2011, 10:15 PM
Rock God

It's gonna be heavy! They start out at 4500lbs (base, stripper model) when just sitting on stock 10 bolt axles. When you upgrade to 1 tons (Dana 60 front 14bff rear), beefy bumpers, a winch, rock sliders, a cage, etc, the weight adds up quick!!! I'd be willing to bet that a K5 built beefy enough to handle 40's is gonna be pushing 7000lbs when loaded for trail riding. Mine is built for 40+" tires (350,sm465,203/205doubler,dana60,14bff....but sitting on 37's (and soon won't be mine hopefully! (selling))) and I'd bet it weighs in at around 6000lbs now without a cage, bumpers, a winch, or any gear in it.

I don't run MTR-Ks since they weren't out yet when I built it. But, I see no reason why they wouldn't be up to the task. If you check out Petersen's fourwheel and offroad's Ultimate Adventure, that's all the tires they ran this past year, on heavy Chevy's like Cousin Willard and that sweet regular cab one, and on their big Ford rig too!

Sent ya a PM!!!

Last edited by VADERJKU; 05-18-2011 at 10:23 PM.
post #13 of 13 Old 05-19-2011, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Hey Vader- Thanks for reply. I got the PM and replied. I dont think I realized that K5's were that heavy. I'll pulled a few out of sand/mud and other impediments and they never seemed that bad. I figured without all the "safety" crap ours have, they were closer to 3- 3.5K lbs.

Thanks for the info all! I think his mid has been made up... now lets see how long it takes to get them.

Joe -
-
-
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode