Full skid MPG - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
View Poll Results: MPG up or down w/full skids?
Yes, I noticed an increase in MPG 2 7.14%
Nope, I got a decrease in MPG 2 7.14%
No difference noticed 3 10.71%
Don't really care I was to busy eatin' Bacon and wheeling 9 32.14%
Pure unadulterated bacon.... 12 42.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old 05-17-2011, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Full skid MPG

I know poles are semi-gay but I did add bacon.

Several, some even respected on here, have mention they noticed an increase of MPG after install of full skids. Honestly, I had always thought it was an "or" situation... weight of armor w/less MPG or less GVW w/more MPG.

If anybody has some experience they would like to share I'd like to hear it especially if you want to give the estimated increase. Hell, if there was no decrease I'd be happy.

Got me thinking a full aluminum set would be the best for me. Looks like you'd gain protection, only add a few pounds, and gain MPG to boot.

I know the secret of the lack of economy for the jeep is aerodynamics or, the lack there of. I'm just really curious to the feedback here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
.....a dark forum, were people would sometimes be rude but yet be helpful.
JK 2dr rubi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by toymaster; 05-17-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 05-17-2011, 12:38 PM
Granite Guru

post #3 of 34 Old 05-17-2011, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

^^^^^^^^^ So, do ya' claim an increase in MPG????

Quote:
JK 2dr rubi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 05-17-2011, 12:53 PM
...slightly sane.

have the RROR steels.

i do not know if i gained/lost, just wheelin' and bacon for me.

|
|
post #5 of 34 Old 05-17-2011, 12:58 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

My JK has become such a fatty that I'll never get good gas mileage again.

07 Rubi rescue Green
"The previous explanation is based on my historically bad memory of a conglomeration of past experiences and conversations. The opinions above probably have some kernel of truth to them but the details are most likely flawed on some level. Please acquire further help from experts before listening to anything I say."
post #6 of 34 Old 05-17-2011, 01:01 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASFIR4X4_AZ View Post
I hate quoting pics and rarely do it but that is one sexy belly right there!
post #7 of 34 Old 05-17-2011, 01:03 PM
Rock God

^^^^ X2
post #8 of 34 Old 05-17-2011, 01:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've read this before but have no first hand experience. Seems like PhilD was involved in the discussion. Maybe he will chime in on the subject. Thanks for the bacon option in your poll. And yeah poles are gay unless they are your own
Quote:
Originally Posted by toymaster View Post
^^^^^^^^^ So, do ya' claim an increase in MPG????
looks like he's just claiming to manufacture skids. IDK

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #9 of 34 Old 05-17-2011, 01:43 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Do you have any more info on these skids? I'm trying to improve my mpg's
post #10 of 34 Old 05-17-2011, 02:14 PM
Granite Guru

We have yet to do any MPG comparison's and do not claim that we will increase Fuel Mileage.

I do know that we offer one of the lightest kits on the market with great protection.

All of our skid plates are made from Ballistic Grade Aluminum and engineered for maximum strength and performance without adding excessive weight.

PM me for info, this is not the right forum for me to be advertising, but I can offer information.
post #11 of 34 Old 05-17-2011, 02:36 PM
JPK
Rock God

I have the RROR full aluminum skid package plus a custom skid that RROR made for my auxilliary fuel tank. According to Kenny at RROR, the weight difference between my skids, including the custom skid, and their steel skids, which wouldn't include the custom skids is about 100lbs @ 75lbs for aluminum and @ 175lbs for steel. The skids are 1/4" aluminum. Not sure which alloy.

I haven't noticed any change in mpg. I have a 5.7VVT in mine, so that may make a difference one way or the other. BTW, the skids paid for themselves through protecting the tranny pan in Moab, shortly after they were installed. The 545rfe pan is exposed and plastic, it needed the skid! Here's a photo - the auxilliary tank and skid are at the right rear of the photo, the charcoal cannister has been relocated behind the axle. Also, the engine/tranny skid is dropped 1" at the rear to clear my Hemi exhaust cross over pipe, and that is why there are the two round bolt head protectors. The skids would come with dome headed allen bolts there but for the need to drop the rear end of the tranny/engine skid on my Jeep:

JPK

Last edited by JPK; 05-17-2011 at 02:44 PM.
post #12 of 34 Old 05-17-2011, 02:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
All of our skid plates are made from Ballistic Grade Aluminum and engineered for maximum strength and performance without adding excessive weight.

PM me for info, this is not the right forum for me to be advertising, but I can offer information.
You have a yellow star so why wouldnt this be the right forum for you to advertise?

What grade of aluminum do you use?
post #13 of 34 Old 05-17-2011, 02:46 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
You have a yellow star so why wouldnt this be the right forum for you to advertise?

What grade of aluminum do you use?

We do have a yellow star, just outside of the Vendor Forum so I don't want to push it.

We use 5052. Here is a little history on that grade series:

http://www.keytometals.com/Article102.htm
post #14 of 34 Old 05-17-2011, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

^^^^^^ Dude it is my thread and I don't mind, let us know what you have.

Honestly, I like capability and if there are not any trade-offs here the margin call is pretty damn easy. To armor up with steel or aluminum and not lose hi-way milage would be awesome.

Mine is not a DD, far from it, but I plan on taking it with a small trailer on a road trip when me and the wife get back stateside. She's from Romania and I want to show her the American landscape. The rub is I have a F350 crew cab that is great for road trips and I get 17 -18 mpg easy, plenty of fuel (100 gallons), and comfort. I expect less from the jeep..... less mileage and comfort.

If I could expect a slight increase from the 63 lbs of protection that would tip the scale for me to spend the $$$

Quote:
JK 2dr rubi

post #15 of 34 Old 05-17-2011, 03:24 PM
Granite Guru

I can't say whether the skids do act in positive aerodynamics and increase fuel mileage. Wish I could, would make me a fortune!!

As you can see from the image I posted, we cover all of the vital stuff and make sure you are not damaging those delicate parts. A little help with getting back from the trail!

Take a look at our website, http://www.asfir4x4.com or shoot me an email: [email protected] for a full list of products we offer for the JK.

Now back to the regularly scheduled program.
post #16 of 34 Old 05-18-2011, 07:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
I can't say whether the skids do act in positive aerodynamics and increase fuel mileage. Wish I could, would make me a fortune!!

As you can see from the image I posted, we cover all of the vital stuff and make sure you are not damaging those delicate parts. A little help with getting back from the trail!

Take a look at our website, http://www.asfir4x4.com or shoot me an email: [email protected] for a full list of products we offer for the JK.

Now back to the regularly scheduled program.

Seems like when comparing your product and prices to others and you using only 5052 grade aluminium and others are using either 7075 or 6065 while most other companies also sell skids for at least 20% less

Example an aluminium evap skid from River Raider cost about $100 after shipping and all yours before shipping $190

Back on topic most that have skids say that it does slightly add to MPG but not enough to post all postive about it

post #17 of 34 Old 05-18-2011, 08:01 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d'sjk View Post
Seems like when comparing your product and prices to others and you using only 5052 grade aluminium and others are using either 7075 or 6065 while most other companies also sell skids for at least 20% less
Who uses 7075 for skids? The only place I heard the use of 7075 is in Rock Krawler's PRO kits.
post #18 of 34 Old 05-18-2011, 09:24 AM
JKO Addict!

I did I mean its not "scientific" and shit but I cleared my MPG thing when I left norfolk and the same when I left Crash's shop. it was almost a 2mpg diffrence.

But what is better, a turd sandwich or a turd sandwich with bacon is kinda subjective But I like bacon
post #19 of 34 Old 05-18-2011, 10:18 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by d'sjk View Post

Example an aluminium evap skid from River Raider cost about $100 after shipping and all yours before shipping $190

Back on topic most that have skids say that it does slightly add to MPG but not enough to post all postive about it
The higher the number on the Aluminum does not make it a better grade, it only indicates the alloy variance and manufacturing process.

The 5xxx is a work hardenable material and not so much heat treatable. Which means that when we put our bends in the skid plates we are added a ton of strength to the structure.

That coupled with 3D modeling of stresses and vehicle placement points allow for an exceptionally engineered product.

Or products have been in Service with the British SAS, Israeli Special Forces and a number of other specialized military divisions for over 30 years. We may be a new name in the US, but our products have a long history with extreme duty.
post #20 of 34 Old 05-18-2011, 11:44 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
Who uses 7075 for skids? The only place I heard the use of 7075 is in Rock Krawler's PRO kits.
There are two companies that have stuff in the works that may be out by the end of the year.

Quote:
The higher the number on the Aluminum does not make it a better grade, it only indicates the alloy variance and manufacturing process.

The 5xxx is a work hardenable material and not so much heat treatable. Which means that when we put our bends in the skid plates we are added a ton of strength to the structure.

That coupled with 3D modeling of stresses and vehicle placement points allow for an exceptionally engineered product.

Or products have been in Service with the British SAS, Israeli Special Forces and a number of other specialized military divisions for over 30 years. We may be a new name in the US, but our products have a long history with extreme duty.
Thanks for the info, I am sure if you post some damage shots/ wear and tear you will have a lot of interest on here as there are a lot of us that are looking to change our skids soon.

post #21 of 34 Old 05-18-2011, 12:09 PM
Rock God

I put the RROR skids on and I didn't notice any difference in gas milage..not better, not worse.

As far as aluminum skids....I would have ripped verry deep gouges in them on my trip through the Hammers. My steel RROR skids looked like they were laid on the ground and a buzz saw run over them. I can only imagine what the aluminum skids would have looked like!

post #22 of 34 Old 05-18-2011, 03:01 PM
JPK
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCCotton View Post
As far as aluminum skids....I would have ripped verry deep gouges in them on my trip through the Hammers. My steel RROR skids looked like they were laid on the ground and a buzz saw run over them. I can only imagine what the aluminum skids would have looked like!
And that is why some of us should have the steel skids while some of us ought to have the aluminum skids.

I will say that on an occasion or two I thought there'd be a heck of gouge, maybe a dent in the aluminum and there was hardly a sign of any contact at all.

I wonder what aluminum skids would have looked like after The Hammers with the slick plastic (brain cramping, can't recall the acronym name) applied to them, like in the first photo, in the OP's original post. I uderstand that a number of KOH competitors are running 1/8" aluminum skids with 1/2" of the slick plastic applied rather than 1/4" aluminum.

JPK
post #23 of 34 Old 05-18-2011, 03:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPK View Post
the slick plastic (brain cramping, can't recall the acronym name) applied to them
I believe its UHMV
post #24 of 34 Old 05-18-2011, 04:00 PM
Granite Guru

We don't claim to offer Extreme Rock Crawling products, but we fit a niche with Vehicle owners that need protection for mild to medium rated trails. Granted we have some customers that take the products to the extreme!

Here are some pictures of our carnage. As you can see there are gouges, but nothing detrimental to the function of the vehicle, which is why we sell our products.

One thing to add is when you scratch aluminum it does not require a repaint to resist rust as it generates it's own Oxide coating continually.
post #25 of 34 Old 05-18-2011, 06:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:

So explain to me the difference between 5051 and 5052 because i have run boats made out of 5051 and they crumple like pop cans over time its amazing what 20ft surf will do to them it buckles ribs and the amount of deflection is staggering just after a few thousand hours on the water and only a a couple hundred of them in the heavy stuff. So really whats the difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
This is one reason I have a strict policy of not eating anything out of another dudes butt. Flick it with my tongue? Sure. Run my tongue around the rim? Depends. Dart my tongue in for a brief second? Maybe. Eat something out of it? No fuckin' way!
If you want to know whats on it check my
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode