Fenders- yep, another thread :) - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 05-16-2011, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003
Fenders- yep, another thread :)

Ok. So I went to Jeep Beach on Saturday- awesome time being inside Daytona Int'l. Speedway again, and good times with good people

Anyway, I was screwing around on the obstacle course, and one section reminded me that my front tires occasionally like to crunch into the stock fenders. No, I haven't cut them down, but I also rather don't like them. I'm running a 3.5" RK lift, and 35" KM2's, and MAY go up to 37's in the future ($$ permitting). 2-door, by the way

Now, here's the question:
Which fenders should I go with? My dilemma is, should I go with plastic, as it's both A. cheaper, B. flexible and C. light, or steel, which is A. strong, B. inflexible, and C. heavy?

The rig is mostly a DD, but I wheel the piss out of it whenever possible. I am, as anyone who's wheeled with me can tell you, still too much a racing driver, and not enough of a CRAWLer. I tend to be a bit rough on my stuff. Now, that brings me back to plastic v. steel: will the flexibility of plastic work in my favor, or should I go for steel, and bang along the trail (giggity)? Discuss Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 05-16-2011, 09:09 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

They will both do their job, but you're going to get into them either way unless you add a little bit of bump stop to your suspension. Do you have extended bump stops on it currently?

I don't think you can go wrong either way and there have been plenty of pictures here proving that they will both take a beating. I say go with the ones that you like the look of the best! Ha ha!

Marcus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 29 Old 05-16-2011, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Yeah, that's the balls of it- I love 'em all! Well, not so much the pocket-style suckers- they're a bit too parking-lot pimpin' for my style, but the flatties.

I don't have extended bumpstops- saving up for those, too Always SOMETHING new on this greedy bitch of mine Mark W.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 05-16-2011, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

As for price and performance, I'm really digging the Bushwacker flatties. I'd love to hear some input from owners. And, yes, I've searched, but we all know how much fun the forum search button can be Mark W.

post #5 of 29 Old 05-16-2011, 09:17 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaduke2003 View Post
Yeah, that's the balls of it- I love 'em all! Well, not so much the pocket-style suckers- they're a bit too parking-lot pimpin' for my style, but the flatties.

I don't have extended bumpstops- saving up for those, too Always SOMETHING new on this greedy bitch of mine Mark W.
Ha ha! I know what you mean man, I'm in the same boat. So many choices and so many great companies to support. It can really be a feat!

If I were you and wanted to support the industry I'd go with someone like Poison Spyder, River Raider, Nemesis Industries, ect. These guys are building steel flares in the good ole US of A and grinding out long hours to bring us high quality products at competitive prices.

That being said, throw some bump stops in there in the meantime. We can set that thing up with some stackables from Rock Krawler for about $100.

Marcus

post #6 of 29 Old 05-16-2011, 09:19 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
As for price and performance, I'm really digging the Bushwacker flatties. I'd love to hear some input from owners. And, yes, I've searched, but we all know how much fun the forum search button can be Mark W.
Sorry that I keep replying. LOL!

A friend of mine here has the Bushwacker flat flares and once they are installed they are STOUT. They look good, are cost effective, and should do you well in terms of protection.

I'm signing off now...you boys have at it!

Marcus

post #7 of 29 Old 05-16-2011, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Thanks for the input, Marcus. Jeremy and the guys at RK are about an hour north of me in NY (I move back this week! Freaking stoked! )- they know my rig well I'm going to bug them for the bumps and the 3-link rear soon- just gotta find a local welder who won't kill me on $$!

As for the fenders, being in the rust belt (knee deep in it!), I'm really leaning towards the plastic side, as they can't rust! Being lightweight is a nice bonus, as well. The fact that they're half as much $$ as steelies helps, too. Sadly, I have millionaire dreams, and empty ass pockets Mark W.

post #8 of 29 Old 05-16-2011, 10:21 PM
Rock God

Have you thought about just cutting your stock flares? It doesn't cost anything and sounds like it would be perfect for you.

BTW I have some Teraflex front bump stops if you want them. PM me if interested.

07 X - Flame Red - 6 Speed - 5.13s - 37x12.50 MTR/Ks - ProComp 7069s 17x9
RK 3.5" X-Factor LA - WTOR Hydro Assist - Rubicon Axles F&R - Trussed & HD Brackets
PSC Flares, OR-Fab Front Bumper, Genright Rear Bumper, Poly Sliders w/ PSC Armor
post #9 of 29 Old 05-17-2011, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

^ Yep I mentioned that in the OP. I'm not really keen on the way cut stockers usually look. Also, with my attention to detail, they'd come out pretty ugly! While I hate to admit it, because 99% of the time I DON'T care how my Jeep looks, the fenders can make or break the look of the Jeep, so I want to have mine just-so Mark W.

post #10 of 29 Old 05-17-2011, 02:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Um how about Poison Spyder aluminum flat flares...? They will be getting released very soon.

Current project jeep 08' wrangler 2dr
Past jeep:
- 07' Rubicon 4 dr, RAMICON- 3.5" ROCK KRAWLER Coil-Over lift
- 5.38 gears- Gusseted/Trussed/inner sleeved
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

post #11 of 29 Old 05-17-2011, 03:07 PM
TrailDuty.com

FWIW I have the Xenons, which are similar to the BW, and they are great. I've completely folded the rear ones over and they just pop back, they take a hit and flex. They get a little scratched up from rocks, but that just adds character.

When I bought them there were no complete sets of steel ones available, so that made the decision easy for me. Given the choice would I buy them or steel? I like the solid feel of steel and would be tempted, but I would not be against the plastic ones, as they work well and do their job.
post #12 of 29 Old 05-17-2011, 03:15 PM
Granite Guru

FYI don't expect the bushwacker flats to bend or flex, they are hard plastic and have transferred impacts to my tub causing dents, wish I had just bought the steel flares I really wanted.
post #13 of 29 Old 05-17-2011, 03:49 PM
JKO Addict!

If it were my rig (and it will be my rig undergoing the same thing soon) I'd go straight for the Nemesis Industries aluminum flares. If not those, then RROR or PSC aluminum flares.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #14 of 29 Old 05-17-2011, 03:58 PM
TrailDuty.com

BTW I saw the Smittybilt XRC Armor Fenders/Corners last weekend and actually liked the look of them, apart from the shiny bolt heads. I was dying to whack them with a 4 lb hammer to see what would happen to them, but they are made of 3/16" so should be pretty strong.
post #15 of 29 Old 05-17-2011, 04:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to .:eMETAL:. Send a message via Yahoo to .:eMETAL:.

there's also Trailmods, giving you the option to run nothing on the trail and still provide the somewhat factory look on the road. and completely in stock and ready to ship.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49058

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...ight=trailmods

i really dig the look of the Bushwacker flatties myself too and i've personally seen these and they're slick looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourplyn View Post
Um how about Poison Spyder aluminum flat flares...? They will be getting released very soon.
i wouldn't hold my breath on these unless you know something i don't. nothing against PSC but they have a lot of things "soon to be released" and if Marc is looking for something now he's real option is "in stock ready to ship" IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Defector View Post
If it were my rig (and it will be my rig undergoing the same thing soon) I'd go straight for the Nemesis Industries aluminum flares. If not those, then RROR or PSC aluminum flares.
this is a great option! really clean looking too. i too would really consider these if you have the budget for them!

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

post #16 of 29 Old 05-17-2011, 07:30 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
By the way, welcome to Florida. I also have a two door and I almost purchased the Bushwacker last year at the 4WD show last August. I liked the $$ of plastic, and they look great.
post #17 of 29 Old 05-17-2011, 07:35 PM
Rock God

I vote for Poison Spyder.
Marcus set me up.
post #18 of 29 Old 05-17-2011, 07:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Well, I talked to Larry at EJS from PSC. And he told me they were finishing up the last test's. Should be a few weeks. Then we'll see them. I'm on the list to get a set as soon as they release.

Past jeep:
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

post #19 of 29 Old 05-17-2011, 07:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have the Xenons and have folded up the front right several times and they just snap right back into place. I knocked out the light on the New Year's run and have not fixed it yet.... I have second guessed myself over and over about getting the Xenon's.. I had a buddy fab the ones in the back on the RROR corners and thought about getting a set of narrows from RROR or PSC so the front will match (bed lined) I just have too much on the list to start replacing things that I already replaced...

The one hit that took out my little marker light may have damaged the body... never know for sure but it took a pretty good hit and just snapped right back

post #20 of 29 Old 05-18-2011, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

I'm a bit wary about aluminum armor. I'll be in rocks 95% of the time when wheeling, and I know how aluminum acts under pressure- it snaps, or cracks, when hit hard, unlike steel, which will bend, and can be re-heated and re-formed. Not to mention, if RR's aluminum fenders are a guide, $1,500ish. WAY too much money for my budget. I do appreciate the nod to lightness, though

As for the Xenons, those are on the list, as people are telling me the BW's are quite stiff. I'm trying to decide between those and BW. I think plastic is gonna be the way to go. Xenons and their flexibility is sounding better and better. Grr. Why couldn't I win a raffle at Jeep Beach? Mark W.

post #21 of 29 Old 05-18-2011, 04:08 PM
Wheeler

I've been really happy with my Bushwackers so far.
post #22 of 29 Old 05-19-2011, 09:57 PM
Rock God

If you're sticking with plastic...go the cheap route and just cut them...

One day I'll have money to replace them with steel RR's or PSC's...but that day is not today. A lot of guys have even asked me what brand they were oddly enough. To which my reply is " I just cut up the stock flares."

2010 Jeep Wrangler 2dr Rubicon with a part from everyone...
post #23 of 29 Old 05-19-2011, 10:04 PM
JKO Addict!

R.R. wants way to much for there alum fenders...

Past jeep:
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

post #24 of 29 Old 05-20-2011, 09:13 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourplyn View Post
R.R. wants way to much for there alum fenders...
Yes....yes they do. Especially with companies like Nemesis out there.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #25 of 29 Old 05-20-2011, 09:33 AM
Granite Guru

I like my bushwackers, only thing for me that was a pain is that I smashed alot of trees with my old fenders and when I went to install the flatties, the fenders wouldnt stay flush to the body with the adhesive because the sheet metal was bent! They look great though, but if I did alot more wheeling I would of went with tubes from PSC or the new ones ace has out.

Mike
USCG 04-Present
Just another JK on 35's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode