Who is using the new River Raider Snorkel? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 Old 05-16-2011, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Who is using the new River Raider Snorkel?

I can't find too many posts on it...I'm curious if anyone saw any performance increase or if MPG got any better? I would think that now the Jeep can actually breathe there would be a decent increase in performance.

2009 Deep Water Blue Wrangler Unlimited X
37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on KMC Machetes
Synergy 3" Coils/Rancho 9000XL Shocks
Currie Antirock
Yukon 5.13's
Sleeves/Gussetts
JKS Rear Trackbar
ProRock 44
Front/Rear ARB Air lockers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 05-16-2011, 10:48 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter Scott View Post
I can't find too many posts on it...I'm curious if anyone saw any performance increase or if MPG got any better? I would think that now the Jeep can actually breathe there would be a decent increase in performance.
I wound texpect much, to help it breather better you have to modify both sides, intake and exhaust. Even then I wouldnt expect much gain.
post #3 of 52 Old 05-16-2011, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

I have exhaust...can't exhale anymore than you inhale

Currie Antirock
Yukon 5.13's
Sleeves/Gussetts
JKS Rear Trackbar
ProRock 44
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 Old 05-16-2011, 11:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i have it, actually i have the first one. i didnt notice any performance gains but i also got their 300lb skid system installed at the same time so may have killed any performance increases, but i do get better mpg with it.

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #5 of 52 Old 05-16-2011, 12:58 PM
Ipe
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMonkeY View Post
i have it, actually i have the first one. i didnt notice any performance gains but i also got their 300lb skid system installed at the same time so may have killed any performance increases, but i do get better mpg with it.
How much better?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 52 Old 05-16-2011, 04:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Id like to know if they gulp any water without the extension, they look goood short. Not sure with the pipe on.

Official sponsor of the Jersey
Crew

"Wasn't Me I was in Sweetwater"
post #7 of 52 Old 05-16-2011, 07:08 PM
Rock God

I have the old stile and my MPG went up to 1.2mpg and I have never had any problems with water in my air box from it!! And we get some nasty rain is Florida!!

07 JKU, To see my mods & Jeep in Action @

CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s

Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
post #8 of 52 Old 05-16-2011, 07:31 PM
Rock God

Love mine although no time to test between work and my little one graduating college. Heres my little take on it. https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51031
post #9 of 52 Old 05-16-2011, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaBlack View Post
Love mine although no time to test between work and my little one graduating college. Heres my little take on it. https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51031
Yeah your post is one of the only ones I can find

Currie Antirock
Yukon 5.13's
Sleeves/Gussetts
JKS Rear Trackbar
ProRock 44
post #10 of 52 Old 05-17-2011, 05:19 PM
Granite Guru

I am very much interested myself.
Does anyone have a picture of the new style snorkel with the "extension"? I kind of like the way Safari or Old style RR snorkel looks. For some reason those mushroom like hammer snorkels not appealing much to my taste.
Also, what is the difference (besides location) between new style and old style?
At first when I saw posts on this thing to be developed I thought the new style snorkel will only have a hole in the small piece - edge of the hood, but looking at it now, actually it drills in small and long piece that has the wipers through it. Why?

Anyone still sells old style snorkel from RR?
post #11 of 52 Old 05-17-2011, 07:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

the snorkel is where its at because of stuff in the cowl and prob vision. my mpg went up about 1.5 according to the gauge, and i know its not accurate but it is a increase

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #12 of 52 Old 05-18-2011, 01:32 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayArea View Post
I am very much interested myself.
Does anyone have a picture of the new style snorkel with the "extension"? I kind of like the way Safari or Old style RR snorkel looks. For some reason those mushroom like hammer snorkels not appealing much to my taste.
Also, what is the difference (besides location) between new style and old style?
At first when I saw posts on this thing to be developed I thought the new style snorkel will only have a hole in the small piece - edge of the hood, but looking at it now, actually it drills in small and long piece that has the wipers through it. Why?

Anyone still sells old style snorkel from RR?
He still sells my 1st gen and the 2nd gen!!!

07 JKU, To see my mods & Jeep in Action @

CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s

Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
post #13 of 52 Old 05-18-2011, 10:32 AM
Granite Guru

Ok, so what was the reason to go into completely different design and position of the second generation snorkel?
For some reason I don't like it at all, I guess I am used to the "Safari" look snorkel.
Also, what is the reason for the first generation snorkel to be significantly more expensive than the second gen? Different use of materials?
post #14 of 52 Old 05-18-2011, 10:53 AM
Rock God

I don't think yall are talking about the same thing. There are actually 3 different rr snorkels 1st and 2nd gen full snorkels that go up the windshield and the new "hummer style" that comes out the cowel by the wipers.

If everyone is aware of this just ignore my post

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlgrav182 View Post
Maybe they just corrected your ridiculous mistake. Who the fuck orders chrome anything?
post #15 of 52 Old 05-18-2011, 10:54 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.I.I.K View Post
I don't think yall are talking about the same thing. There are actually 3 different rr snorkels 1st and 2nd gen full snorkels that go up the windshield and the new "hummer style" that comes out the cowel by the wipers.

If everyone is aware of this just ignore my post

I was reading through this thinking the same think lmao.

Sent via smoke signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mall Krawler View Post
Hocus pocus, Abracadabra and Alakazam - prototypical magic words used by magicians and top jeep Suspension Engineers.
post #16 of 52 Old 05-18-2011, 10:56 AM
Rock God

Glad to see I'm not alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlgrav182 View Post
Maybe they just corrected your ridiculous mistake. Who the fuck orders chrome anything?
post #17 of 52 Old 05-18-2011, 11:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yep, they be confused

I like the new RR snorkel (hummer style). Its the only snorkel design for the JK that I like. Im still wondering if it prevents the use of window-mounted off-road lights or a hood mounted hi-lift jack. Or if it can be used with a RIPP.
post #18 of 52 Old 05-18-2011, 11:37 AM
Rock God

Garage

I thought about the new "expedition" style snorkel. But after thinking about it I decided on the older style. Should be here next week

Quote:
Hocus pocus, Abracadabra and Alakazam - prototypical magic words used by magicians and top jeep Suspension Engineers.
post #19 of 52 Old 05-18-2011, 11:39 AM
Granite Guru

Well, I understand there are three types - first gen, 2nd gen and hammer style. However, I was under impression that first gen and second gen JK snorkel (non hammer) are the same in design. So my question, what changed between gen 1 and gen 2 for non hammer snorkel?
post #20 of 52 Old 05-18-2011, 11:42 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Ok, so what was the reason to go into completely different design and position of the second generation snorkel?
For some reason I don't like it at all, I guess I am used to the "Safari" look snorkel.
Also, what is the reason for the first generation snorkel to be significantly more expensive than the second gen? Different use of materials?
Demand I think After seeing Bodyguy DIY this style, the other style was out of the question for me. When we finally do a snorkel it will either be this or the yet-to-be-released rugged ridge one.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #21 of 52 Old 05-18-2011, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Just to clear things up...this is the snorkel I care about...not the 1st or 2nd gen

Currie Antirock
Yukon 5.13's
Sleeves/Gussetts
JKS Rear Trackbar
ProRock 44
post #22 of 52 Old 05-18-2011, 11:47 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter Scott View Post
Just to clear things up...this is the snorkel I care about...not the 1st or 2nd gen

nice thread back on track

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #23 of 52 Old 05-18-2011, 01:18 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Well, I understand there are three types - first gen, 2nd gen and hammer style. However, I was under impression that first gen and second gen JK snorkel (non hammer) are the same in design. So my question, what changed between gen 1 and gen 2 for non hammer snorkel?
I do believe that instead of sharp angles(gen1) they went to more of a rounded look(gen2)

Sent via smoke signal

Quote:

Last edited by rotcyboi; 05-18-2011 at 01:22 PM.
post #24 of 52 Old 05-18-2011, 02:59 PM
Wheeler

post #25 of 52 Old 05-18-2011, 03:06 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by quag1509 View Post
Ok, who makes this snorkel? It seems that all it does it replacing one of the small body panels with the plastic part of the snorkel. I like it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode