Weird! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 05-15-2011, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Weird!

So I just got done yesterday installing a 3" Revtek suspension on my 08 unlimited and put on my 35" KM2's which do not have my TPMS sensors in yet and the only lights that are coming on the dash are the ESP/BAS light and the ESP light by itself......No TPMS light at all!...I have a appt tomorrow to get a alignment and get my TPMS from my old wheels put in the new wheels/tires but why would the TPMS light not come on at all and will the ESP/BAS light go off once the steering wheel is straight again? Thanks for the help! I will post pics soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-15-2011, 02:05 PM
VKS Fab

I've read about a couple guys having that issue with the sensors. After they put some miles on it it'll eventually light up. With the eps light, your correct, once the steering wheel is straight it will turn off.

Vick

Handmade One At A Time
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GIVE US A CALL 559-392-3145
post #3 of 18 Old 05-15-2011, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I guess what I am still kind of wondering is why the TPMS light is not on since there are no sensors in the new wheels yet....When the old bike size tires where on and they got low on pressure the dash always lit up like a x-mas tree! So if the ESP light will go off once the wheel gets straightend back out tomorrow, what is making the ESP/ light stay on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 05-15-2011, 06:33 PM
Granite Guru

When I put my lift on the ABS and ESP/BAS were on. I thought aligning the steering would fix it. It didn't. It turned out to be bad wheel bearings in the front. Once I changed both wheel bearing hub assemblies, the lights went out. Turned out powdered bearing material was accumulating on the sensor and messing up the signal. It never did set a fault code.

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
Member of Two Trackers 4wd Club
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
post #5 of 18 Old 05-15-2011, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the info!....but why would the sensors all of the suddon go bad?
post #6 of 18 Old 05-15-2011, 08:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
I had a similar issue.

TPMS was off for a while then back on. No explanation !! Installed Sensors in the new rims all is well.

The Project is moving forward.
post #7 of 18 Old 05-15-2011, 09:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

You may need an alignment. My ESP BAS light comes on when I need one. I fix it by banging it off rocks, then it goes out.

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #8 of 18 Old 05-16-2011, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I just got back from getting the jeep alligned and all my lights went off!......But I ended up putting a 5/16 universal wheel spacer behind the front wheels because the wheel makes just a little contact with the caliper. I am get a little wobble from the front tires. Is it because the spacer does not fit like a glove over the hub?....any feedback on using those? Thanks

3" Revtek, 1" M.O.R.E. body lift, 35" BFG KM2's- daily driver/ weekend wheeler....1990 Jeep Comanche-Soon to be beast!

**RiverCityOffroad**
post #9 of 18 Old 05-16-2011, 12:35 PM
Rock God

When you put on the universal spacers, did you remove the little retaining tabs that are on the lugs fromt the factory?

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...+spacer+wobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post
Thats a special kind of stupid right there.......
post #10 of 18 Old 05-16-2011, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Yes...I took all of them off....

3" Revtek, 1" M.O.R.E. body lift, 35" BFG KM2's- daily driver/ weekend wheeler....1990 Jeep Comanche-Soon to be beast!

**RiverCityOffroad**
post #11 of 18 Old 05-16-2011, 06:31 PM
Granite Guru

Bad CANBUS communications can also cause weird dash light readings. On Rubicons, the swaybar actuator electrical connector can easily get shorted out by wet mud crippling that node of the bus. I even had that problem prevent my radio from working once. (It also had the dash lit up like a Christmas tree.) Once I blew out the connector and rewaterproofed it with silicone grease, everything worked correctly.

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
Member of Two Trackers 4wd Club
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
post #12 of 18 Old 05-17-2011, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for all the info so far everyone!! but has anyone had experience running the universal wheel spacers or should I toss them and go a different route?

**RiverCityOffroad**
post #13 of 18 Old 05-19-2011, 08:41 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggb53 View Post
Thanks for all the info so far everyone!! but has anyone had experience running the universal wheel spacers or should I toss them and go a different route?
Curious about this too. I just ordered some 7/32" spacers as I'm having some rubbing issues and weird rubbing while braking on certain turns. I'm running 17x8 with 4.5BS w/GoodYear DuraTrac 35's on a 3" BDS lift. I'm hoping these little spacers will solve my problem and not create more. Spoke with some folks on another forum who have run them without issue for a few years. They just make sure to check on them every so often.
post #14 of 18 Old 05-19-2011, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Case JKU.... I ended up calling the local 4Wheel Parts and they told me to take them off immediately!.....I took them off and ended up griding on the caliper a little and now I have NO wobble!!......What is weird though is that I ran the same spacer on the back of my TJ with 36" swampers and never had a issue...maybe running them on the front is different.. I don't know! hope this helps!

**RiverCityOffroad**
post #15 of 18 Old 05-20-2011, 07:28 AM
Wheeler

Thanks biggb53! The spacers are to arrive today, so I think I'll give them a try. I really don't know what to do. The rubbing at full lock doesn't bother me since I could fix that with some washers on the steering stops. But the rubbing while braking on a downward turn is a little unsettling. If this doesn't work I'm not sure how to handle that. I'm at 4.5BS which I thought would be fine. I think if I run a Spider or Tera spacer those will set me out too far...3.25BS.
post #16 of 18 Old 05-20-2011, 08:28 PM
Granite Guru

I get the ESP/bas light once in a blue moon. No clue why but it goes off after a few mikes and so this is an issue most likely with brake dust on the sensor? I've never been concerned since it always goes off so I've yet to research it yet. This is what is looking at the speed comparison of the front 2 wheels?
post #17 of 18 Old 05-20-2011, 08:59 PM
Rock God

Yes slip on spacers are not very safe. They shorten you lug stud legnth, and in some cases do not allow the center bore to seat correctly.

And if you lug nuts are not tightened down correctly yes it will shake n stuff.
post #18 of 18 Old 05-21-2011, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I think the 4wheel parts guy put it the best....He said with the universal wheel spacer on it becomes lug centric instead of wheel centric. As far as making the stud shorter with the spacer on, as long as you have a good inch of stud still showing there should be no issues.

**RiverCityOffroad**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode