Drive shaft too short? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old 05-15-2011, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Drive shaft too short?

I just installed a new Tatton front drive shaft. This photo is at rest on level ground. How much exposed shaft splines should there be? It appears the splines could come completely out at full articulation. What do you guys think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 05-15-2011, 02:27 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

I think that looks a bit over-stretched. Did you measure the necessary length (flange-to-flange) before ordering, or is that a pre-determined length? Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
post #3 of 34 Old 05-15-2011, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

It was a pre-determined length. I'm just concerned with so little spline engagement it may cause vibrations.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 05-15-2011, 03:27 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by river2c View Post
I just installed a new Tatton front drive shaft. This photo is at rest on level ground. How much exposed shaft splines should there be? It appears the splines could come completely out at full articulation. What do you guys think?

Hmm, I wonder if you got one for a Rubicon. If Im not mistaken, the D44 has a longer snout than the D30. Only thing I can think of that would explain why the predetermined d-shaft length for your build is too short.
post #5 of 34 Old 05-15-2011, 06:30 PM
Slow and Low

That's WAY too short. No Bueno! ALWAYS measure between flanges/yokes before ordering.
post #6 of 34 Old 05-15-2011, 07:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Yeah. You definitely need a shorter shaft. Going down the road, you'll be fine, but wheeling, you'd probably come apart. Not worth the risk. Call them and see if they'd swap you out to something a bit shorter- Mark W.

post #7 of 34 Old 05-15-2011, 07:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaduke2003 View Post
Yeah. You definitely need a longer shaft. Going down the road, you'll be fine, but wheeling, you'd probably come apart. Not worth the risk. Call them and see if they'd swap you out to something a bit shorter- Mark W.

For sure

Last edited by Mr.RonGilbert; 05-16-2011 at 06:40 PM.
post #8 of 34 Old 05-15-2011, 07:30 PM
Slow and Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaduke2003 View Post
Yeah. You definitely need a shorter shaft. Going down the road, you'll be fine, but wheeling, you'd probably come apart. Not worth the risk. Call them and see if they'd swap you out to something a bit shorter- Mark W.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RonGilbert View Post
For sure
NO! LOOONNNGGGEERR shaft, NOT shorter!
post #9 of 34 Old 05-15-2011, 07:32 PM
JKO Addict!

^ Oh, yeah. That too My bad Every man wants a longer shaft, OP, but you NEED one! Thanks for catching that, man! Mark W.

post #10 of 34 Old 05-15-2011, 07:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
It was a pre-determined length. I'm just concerned with so little spline engagement it may cause vibrations.

That Tatton's have 7" of spline. There's about 3" exposed so you should have anothher 4" till it falls out....give or take. That, honestly is fine.

3" to contract
4" to extend

Whats wrong with that?
post #11 of 34 Old 05-15-2011, 07:41 PM
Granite Guru

Drop the shaft and pull it apart. How much of the spline area is still inside to the left vs the amount of exposed spline.

Did you notice the blurb in their ads?
PHP Code:
THE LONG 7" FULL CONTACT SLIP AND SPLINE, NOT THE CHEAP 3" SPLINE ON THE END
Sooo, guessing there is another 3.5-4" of spline not visible. You're fine.

Doh, you beat me to it.

Last edited by GreenJK; 05-15-2011 at 07:44 PM.
post #12 of 34 Old 05-15-2011, 08:19 PM
Slow and Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenJK View Post
Drop the shaft and pull it apart. How much of the spline area is still inside to the left vs the amount of exposed spline.

Did you notice the blurb in their ads?
PHP Code:
THE LONG 7" FULL CONTACT SLIP AND SPLINE, NOT THE CHEAP 3" SPLINE ON THE END
Sooo, guessing there is another 3.5-4" of spline not visible. You're fine.

Doh, you beat me to it.
The Slip is 7". The Slip of a drive shaft is the female end. You should really pull it apart and see how much spline is left on the male end. I doubt it's 3.5-4".
Plus remember that the more overlap you have, the stronger it is when you rest it on a rock...

Last edited by Co4Lo; 05-15-2011 at 08:23 PM.
post #13 of 34 Old 05-15-2011, 08:59 PM
Rock God

So how long of a spline is a good length? Should you be at about 1/2 length when on regular ground?

07 X - Flame Red - 6 Speed - 5.13s - 37x12.50 MTR/Ks - ProComp 7069s 17x9
RK 3.5" X-Factor LA - WTOR Hydro Assist - Rubicon Axles F&R - Trussed & HD Brackets
PSC Flares, OR-Fab Front Bumper, Genright Rear Bumper, Poly Sliders w/ PSC Armor
post #14 of 34 Old 05-15-2011, 09:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co4Lo View Post
The Slip is 7". The Slip of a drive shaft is the female end. You should really pull it apart and see how much spline is left on the male end. I doubt it's 3.5-4".
Plus remember that the more overlap you have, the stronger it is when you rest it on a rock...
So lets say its 7" of spline.....how much should be exposed at drive height? Bout 3" right?

Sent via Telegraph.
post #15 of 34 Old 05-15-2011, 09:25 PM
Slow and Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by axsys View Post
So how long of a spline is a good length? Should you be at about 1/2 length when on regular ground?
Mine only have about 1.5" exposed at ride height. There is no need to have 3" exposed because you will never compress that much of the shaft.
The more overlap, the stronger it is when you rest it on a rock. Simple as that.
If you want to run it, go ahead. Just don't cry about it when it bends and starts vibrating.

Last edited by Co4Lo; 05-15-2011 at 09:29 PM.
post #16 of 34 Old 05-15-2011, 09:57 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

I got an email about this one and from the pictures without measurements I gathered that it was too short.

Jusding by how much slip is there looks like a safe bet to me, although I do agree with co4lo about more double length would be stronger.

Gonna dig into this further for you tomorrow!

Marcus

Sent from my cellular communication device.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #17 of 34 Old 05-15-2011, 10:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Mine only have about 1.5" exposed at ride height. There is no need to have 3" exposed because you will never compress that much of the shaft.
The more overlap, the stronger it is when you rest it on a rock. Simple as that.
If you want to run it, go ahead. Just don't cry about it when it bends and starts vibrating.
How long are the splines on your shaft though.....driveshaft that is...

Not arguing about the "more contact is stronger" just saying that you can have more travel with a longer splined driveshaft

Last edited by BenFoo; 05-15-2011 at 10:15 PM.
post #18 of 34 Old 05-15-2011, 10:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenFoo View Post

Not arguing about the "more contact is stronger" just saying that you can have more travel with a longer splined driveshaft

Also....what happens when your DS is too short? Typically transfer cases dont like it......just saying.
post #19 of 34 Old 05-15-2011, 10:39 PM
Slow and Low

Quote:

Mine are 7" slip and spline. And you can't change the travel with a longer splined shaft. The "'travel" is controlled by your suspension. The key is to make sure your driveshaft doesn't pull apart or completely compress.

Quote:
Also....what happens when your DS is too short? Typically transfer cases dont like it......just saying.
Transfer cases don't care if it's too short because when it pulls apart, the t-case will be completely relieved of it's duties.
post #20 of 34 Old 05-15-2011, 10:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Transfer cases don't care if it's too short because when it pulls apart, the t-case will be completely relieved of it's duties.
That was suppose to be "too long"

Damn long drives in the rain....got my brain all fuzzy. Im going to bed

And you're right the Tcase doesnt work well if there's no driveshaft attached.
post #21 of 34 Old 05-16-2011, 06:05 AM
JKO Addict!

FWIW, fairly sure I got Tatton mfd. shafts from Teraflex with my original TF 4" kit. The front one fit just like that, with way too much slip joint exposed. While it never came apart we couldn't get it balanced worth beans. I sent it off to Harold Off's place in Farmington and their first question was: "Who made this?" It was way off center, like .050". Rather than waste any more money on them I finally just cut bait and got some Woods shafts made to measure.

This is too bad, Tatton uses some quality parts. My hunch is they make a "one size fits all" front shaft that has to consider everything from stock front control arms to Teraflex's settings, which are about 1 - 1 1/4" longer than everyone else.

Edit to update: Mine were definitely Tatton shafts.

Last edited by SoK66; 05-16-2011 at 09:38 PM.
post #22 of 34 Old 05-16-2011, 06:23 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
FWIW, fairly sure I got Tatton mfd. shafts from Teraflex with my original TF 4" kit. The front one fit just like that, with way too much slip joint exposed. While it never came apart we couldn't get it balanced worth beans. I sent it off to Harold Off's place in Farmington and their first question was: "Who made this?" It was way off center, like .050". Rather than waste any more money on them I finally just cut bait and got some Woods shafts made to measure.

This is too bad, Tatton uses some quality parts. My hunch is they make a "one size fits all" front shaft that has to consider everything from stock front control arms to Teraflex's settings, which are about 1 - 1 1/4" longer than everyone else.
So you're "fairly sure" and you're still throwing tatton under the bus? I've yet to read anything bad about them (this is the first time). And mine is smooth as butter.

☀lllllll☀ 2014 Cherokee Trailhawk
☀lllllll☀ 2009 Unlimited X
☀lllllll☀ 1985 CJ-7
post #23 of 34 Old 05-16-2011, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

UPDATE - Curtis at Tatton agreed that the drive shaft is too short. He has offered to lengthen the shaft at no additional charge and reimburse me for the shipping. I thought the pre-determined length would be a little closer than it was but I think the lift heights can vary quite a bit. I'm just glad he's standing behind his product and making things right. The quality of the drive shafts and the customer service from Marcus at River City Offroad is outstanding.

Last edited by river2c; 05-16-2011 at 06:36 PM.
post #24 of 34 Old 05-16-2011, 06:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
NO! LOOONNNGGGEERR shaft, NOT shorter!
Oops...

post #25 of 34 Old 05-16-2011, 06:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
UPDATE - Curtis at Tatton agreed that the drive shaft is too short. He has offered to lengthen the shaft at no additional charge and reimburse me for the shipping. I thought the pre-determined length would be a little closer than it was but I think the lift heights can vary quite a bit. I'm just glad he's standing behind his product and making things right. The quality of the drive shafts and the customer service from Marcus at River City Offroad is outstanding.
Badass!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode