suggestions for a newbie - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 05-14-2011, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

suggestions for a newbie

Hey guys,
I m about the be the proud new owner of a 07 X JK. I had a timeline for upgrades from the stock so any suggestions would be welcome from what i had chosen.
Immediately (I already own these and ready to be installed):
Cobra 19 plus CB
12" magnetic mount CB antenna
radio shack PA

Not so distant future (ready to be purchased as soon as I have the jeep):
Maxi light bar by Olympic 4x4
Rear light bar by Olympic 4x4
set of walmart fogs (4 on front and 4 on rear) [only picked these because they're cheep and they do the job, i dont think i need $70 55w fogs when I can get them for $20]
A-pillar rocker switch pod + switches by Rugged Ridge

A little bit later (within the year):
ARB high output onboard air (12v) with tire inflation kit

Who the hell knows when!:
4" rough country lift
BFGoodrich mud terain MK2 (34.8")
ARB front and rear air lockers
Rock crawler front bumper by Warn
M6000 Warn electric winch
102" steel CB whip

I cant wait to get to know you guys! Any help or advice is much appreciated!

Also keep your eyes out for Project Tall Man! I will be starting that project soon as well.
A little background:
I'm a really tall guy, I'm 6 foot 8 inches tall. I love the jeep so much that I wanted to buy one. But here's the catch, while I can drive it with some comfort, I really cant drive for really long distances without cramping up. Inspired by my fathers project that he did when he bought his International Harvester Scout II back in the 70's, Ill be perusing a seat relocation project. Ill be doing all the dirty work while any aspiring tall guys can follow along and marvel at the comfort of my jeep. :P

Also shout out to my buddy jipple28 who inspired me to get a jeep!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-14-2011, 11:17 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Wow, you sure have done your homework! You have a well thought out build plan, very impressive. Lots of guys will be interested in that seat relocation project - post pics!

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old 05-15-2011, 12:08 AM
Granite Guru

8 fog lights, 0 driving beams, 0 spot beams ??

Have you considered a slightly shorter lift with flat flares? If not, research replacement driveshafts for the eventual need.

You also might consider stepping up to at least an 8k winch. With the prices these days, you might as well go up to a 9 or 10k.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 05-15-2011, 06:24 AM
Granite Guru

I had a hard time getting a cobra 19 dialed in right. Went with a 29 instead and made a wicked ground. You can get the Tatton Drive Shafts cheap from River City and it is a great piece of mind to have. There kinda cheap also when put into perspective of Jeep upgrades.
post #5 of 15 Old 05-15-2011, 06:49 AM
Granite Guru

some advice think again about rough country lifts!
I talk by experience,you get what you pay for!
a lots of people here would tell you the same thing!
anyway welcom in the JK world,and good luck with your build.
post #6 of 15 Old 05-15-2011, 07:42 AM
Rock God

If you only plan to go with a 35" tire (roughly) there's no need for the 4" lift. Stick with a shorter 2.5 or maybe even 3" lift, if done right you can stuff 37s with 3" or less. Anything over 3" you WILL eventually need driveshafts, maybe not right away but it's a ticking time bomb. My advice save the money in height and put it into a nice high quality lift (rock krawler is my personal recommendation). I'm big on using as little lift as possible, it keeps the centerof gravity nice and low, less potential for problems, less stress on other parts... Just my two cents take it for what it's worth. Also watch how much you start spending on lights and bars and other neat "offroad looking" stuff it adds up fast and takes away from stuff that will make your rig more capable. There will come a time on the trail when you wished you saved that couple hundred bucks in lights and bars and stickers and floor liners ect and put it into a suspension or armor instead. Again that's just my 2 cents but that's a lot of lighting.

2008 Detonator 2Dr. 6 Sp.
Olympic double tube sliders I Rugged Ridge front XHD I Smittybilt XRC 8 I Ef's pod I Chopped flares I Rock krawler 2.5" stock mod with Bilstein 5100s I 35" Dick Cepek Crushers

Jersey

Crew
post #7 of 15 Old 05-15-2011, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

thanks for the advice guys! I did some more thinking and farting around the internet and came up with some changes to my build plan. I decided that I would hold off on the rear light bar for now to save some cash. I also switched to the Smittybilt classic bumper with winch mount and the smittybilt xrc-8. After more reading about the air lockers I decided that unless I move to some place like arazona where I would do serious rock crawling then I cant justify $2-3k on diffs to drive around north NJ with. I also did a little more research and decided that also due to the fact that I live in NJ and have no place to go rock crawling theres no need for a big lift so i think Im going to go with the rock krawler 2.5" max travel lift. Also is there anyone that used their stock hood and cut a hole in it for a snorkel? I want to put one on but I dont want to buy a new hood and Im scared shitless that I would screw up and destroy my hood while cutting it. Also I decided that I wanted to get the ePod rather than wiring that mess myself.
Thanks!

Last edited by moose4x4; 05-15-2011 at 03:28 PM.
post #8 of 15 Old 05-15-2011, 03:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

You made some good 2nd thought changes ...especially the change to the RK lift. Lots of folks here have cut their stock hoods for snorkels ...a few have posted great "how to" write-ups. And cutting/drilling on your Jeep is only scary during the first cuts, after that it's quite fun ;-)

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #9 of 15 Old 05-15-2011, 04:49 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Moose, Rausch Creek off road park isn't too far from you if you wanted to do some rock crawling.
post #10 of 15 Old 05-16-2011, 01:56 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose4x4 View Post
Also shout out to my buddy jipple28 who inspired me to get a jeep!
Woot! Thanks, brother!
If you guys don't mind my bragging, I also turned two other guys in the neighborhood onto Wranglers.. One just purchased his first TJ, while the other has another 2 years to go before he can drive. Good news is he's hooked. Haha! Just doin' what I can to grow and inspire the Jeep community!

Can't wait for your JK purchase.. we've got a lot of work to do.

2007 Rubicon 2dr, 6spd dubbed 'Longhorn Edition'
3.25" Rough Country suspension lift
315/70/17 Kumho RV MT's on AR Fuel 8's
Modified Gobi roof rack (4 Hella's front, 2 rear)
OR FAB swing-out tire carrier (with dual Jerry cans)
ORO rear license plate light & relocation bracket
Homemade steel stubby front bumper, stinger, 12k winchplate
Homemade rock rails, 'psuedo exocage' (tree sliders)
post #11 of 15 Old 05-16-2011, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

hey i was doing some reading and if I have a winch, compressor, and 4 lights, will I need to do an electrical upgrade and do dual batts and a new alternator? If I do then its an extra $1200 taken away from my build but anyways. I could do it if I space out the other stuff a little more. I know that electrical is the most important when it comes to this stuff and I dont want to end up with a dead battery one day because I have to many recovery options on my jeep. and I dont want to have to keep it on a charger at night because all that stuff is so taxing on the battery. plus wouldnt that kill the battery faster? bleh. thanks again.
post #12 of 15 Old 05-17-2011, 12:56 AM
Rock God

I would say no on the dual batt maybe eventually but not for a winch some lights and a compressor. Are you ever goin to run EVERYTHING at the same time, I wouldnt think so. I have a viar 400c, xrc8, 2 kc daylighters, and 2 55w driving lights and never had a problem. Just think about a deep cycle battery like an optima yellow top to replace the stocker (again eventually no rush on that one) the alternator is plenty for your needs. I once used the winch and daylighters for about 10 hours straight doing a series of dead pulls uphill in about 1.5-2 feet of snow to recover a burned up jeep with no battery issues.

Olympic double tube sliders I Rugged Ridge front XHD I Smittybilt XRC 8 I Ef's pod I Chopped flares I Rock krawler 2.5" stock mod with Bilstein 5100s I 35" Dick Cepek Crushers

Jersey

Crew
post #13 of 15 Old 05-17-2011, 01:00 AM
Rock God

Also it only applies load to the battery when you are using the winch or compressor or lights, not all the time. When you start adding electrical stuff just make sure it's all fused and relayed where ya need it to be. If you don't know how to do that just ask we are here to help.

Jersey

Crew
post #14 of 15 Old 05-17-2011, 06:47 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Good call on the RK lift.... 2.5 is all I got with 35's and cut stock fenders....I did alot of reaserch and ended up with a very similar build...

I had been going back and forth between winch or lockers and gears first.... I was leaning towards the gears because it does need a little help with the 35's but I dont really do any highway driving and live in a flat area so it wasnt needed immediately.. I also figured I should do the gears and lockers at the same time... this thinking was really based on trail rating systems that require at least one locker for certain trails in my area.

Here is where my current thinking comes in.... did the first off road run with the JK with my local club. on the way up guys were telling me without a locker I would need to be winched in a few spots....

So after a day of wheeling I realized that I was going to buy the winch first and hold off on teh lockers, and did just that... heres why -

I am the only JK in my whole local club of about thity jeeps (some heavily built stuff too) and the trails we ran were rated any where between 3-8... not only did I not need a locker I didnt even turn of my traction control off the entire trip and was never even close to stuck.. guys were super impressed with the JK... however there were a few guys who did get stuck and if more of us had winches we would not require moving several jeeps on tight woods trails to get one with a winch near the stuck ones...

so for now, winch jumped ahead of lockers and gears - sorry for being long winded but my point is this.... this forum is great and the reasearch available is top notch. I owe all of my plans to this forum, BUT you cant beat real world trail and seat time and see what works for you.. I am almost where I want to be with mine and it has mainly come recently from the thought process after a trail run "what would i have liked to have with me today".... and u will quickly see how something like OB air takes a front seat to a rear bumper...

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #15 of 15 Old 05-17-2011, 10:23 AM
JKowners Vendor

Sir

Thanks for concidering us. If you have any questions about our products or just your build, feel free to give us a shout..

RK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode