AEV Tire Carrier W/ Different Bumper?? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 05-13-2011, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

AEV Tire Carrier W/ Different Bumper??

Has anyone installed the AEV tire carrier only and used a different aftermarket bumper? I Know it can be fitted with the stock bumper but can it work with another non AEV aftermarket bumper? With minor mods to the bumper of course.........

The carrier itself is probably the best carrier made but I'm not sold on the looks of the bumper.

2009 Red JK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-13-2011, 03:48 PM
JKO Addict!

How can it be fitted to a stock bumper? I think you may be confused.

It still requires a spindle to be solidly mounted. In theory, you could weld in a spindle to any bumper that is strong enough to support the weight of the tire carrier. However a stock plastic bumper could not support the weight, nor would there be a way to really mount the spindle without building some sort of structure underneath.

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
post #3 of 13 Old 05-13-2011, 04:18 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post

It still requires a spindle to be solidly mounted. In theory, you could weld in a spindle to any bumper that is strong enough to support the weight of the tire carrier. However a stock plastic bumper could not support the weight, nor would there be a way to really mount the spindle without building some sort of structure underneath.
AEV sells the carrier separately just for this purpose, including a template for where the stock bumper needs to be drilled for the spindle.

It bolts directly to the frame rail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-13-2011, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:

The carrier actually mounts to the frame and is separate. If you want to use the stock bumper you can modify it with a hole allowing the carrier to pass through to the frame. AEV had the carrier out before the bumper was made and many people followed this approach. Wondering if it could be used with another bumper following a similar method.

2009 Red JK
post #5 of 13 Old 05-13-2011, 09:36 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:

x2 on everything everyone else said.
Here's another pic showing it with the stock bumper
post #6 of 13 Old 05-14-2011, 02:10 PM
Rock God

Garage

this is interesting.. in theory you should then be able to do it with any aftermarket bumper, if all you have to do is cut a hole to allow teh aev tire carrier to go thru.

2011 MANGO TANGO sahara jku....bone stock.
r.i.p.08 jk x steel blue

CALL MARCUS.. NUFF' SAID..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-14-2011, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_jacklyn View Post
this is interesting.. in theory you should then be able to do it with any aftermarket bumper, if all you have to do is cut a hole to allow teh aev tire carrier to go thru.
That's what I was thinking. I think this would be sweet with the PSC rear Brawler bumper.

2009 Red JK
post #8 of 13 Old 05-14-2011, 07:46 PM
dsy
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_jacklyn View Post
You would need to check for enough space for the part of the mount that is in red in that cad drawing to fit inside the bumper you want to use. It sticks out past the end of the frame rail.

07 Flame Red Unlimited Rubicon, 5.7 hemi, RCV shafts, 35" KM2's, AEV 3 1/2 lift, , AEV rear swing away Carrier, AEV Snorkel, LoD front bumper with Warn powerplant, 45qt Engel refrigerator / freezer. , Marchal E-Code lamps
DIY Hemi build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 Old 05-15-2011, 01:01 AM
Rock God

Garage

it would look sweet with the poison spyder rear bumper.

2011 MANGO TANGO sahara jku....bone stock.
r.i.p.08 jk x steel blue

CALL MARCUS.. NUFF' SAID..
post #10 of 13 Old 05-15-2011, 09:01 AM
JKO Addict!

Wow inever knew that. I've never paid much attentionto the AEV bumper. First I've ever seen one not welded into the bumper. Kind of cool.

Sorry for being a tard. Lol

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
post #11 of 13 Old 07-15-2011, 08:25 PM
Granite Guru

btt - anyone install a different bumper with this carrier ?

2013 Unlimited Rubicon - Billet Silver
2.5" Teraflex coil lift | 35" BFG AT KO2s | AEV Pintler Wheels - Onyx

post #12 of 13 Old 07-16-2011, 01:15 PM
Wheeler

I'd like to install this carrier on my mopar performance bumper. Has anyone done this?
post #13 of 13 Old 07-16-2011, 01:35 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

With fabrication I sure you could mount it to just about any bumper. Just depends on how much fab work you want to do.

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode