AEV Pintlers... Will my tires rub? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 05-12-2011, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

AEV Pintlers... Will my tires rub?

I fear I have made a bad choice...

I have recently seen threads that describe tire rub with the tire size/Wheel combo I am putting together. I do not want to correct a clearance problem with spacers. I bought the wheels to avoid spacers!
My beautiful new AEV Pintler Beadlock's are still sitting in the garage, wondering what the H--- is taking me so long to get them mounted....
Here I sit, freaking out about the possibility that my "perfect plan" is falling apart.

Here is the entire picture:

2011 Rubicon Unlimited
Poly Performance 3" Stage 3 Suspension
F&R adj. track-bars
Fox Steering dampner
Fox Remote Res. Adjustable shocks
17x8.5 Pintler Beadlocks (AEV states 4.7 backspacing)
BFG KM2's 35x12.5x17

Anyone at Poly Performance reading this that might know if their lift gives Pintler owners grief?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 05-13-2011, 12:04 AM
Rock God

I don't see the problem. I had a bb TF 2.5 lift with 35's and procomp 17X9 soft 8 wheels with 4.5" bs and had no rub. Put em on thats the only way you will find out.

"All wranglers are jeeps, not all jeeps are wranglers"

"Holding out for the Pentastar in 2012"
post #3 of 32 Old 05-13-2011, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Well, the 4.7 backspacing AEV states for these wheels is actually what was being questioned in the thread I found. The person claimed That AEV calculates BS differently and actually comes in at a little over 5 inches. If I mount tires on the rims, I won't be able to return them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 05-13-2011, 01:26 AM
Granite Guru

I have a 3" BDS lift, and ran 35" BFG AT's on the AEV non beadlock pintler wheels for about 18 months. I had no issues with rubbing. I am assuming that the BS for the beadlocks and non is the same here - double check that, and if it is the same, you should be good to go.

JD

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
So someone thinks RDY4RKS' 6.1 hemi, solid axle, arb'd, atlas'd, long arm'd, 42'd jeep is cookie cutter? Fuck it. Im going outside and burning mine to dust. There is no hope.
post #5 of 32 Old 05-13-2011, 04:31 AM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to joeglock

I think you will be fine. my rear tires with the aev beadlock only had a rib issuse after downgrading to a full craption long arm. The upper control arm in the factory location should clear just fine.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 32 Old 05-13-2011, 07:28 AM
Rock God

I didn't have a problem with 35's.

I did get a little rubbing with 37's and now I still have rubbing with 40's and spacers but it isn't to bad.

Jeremey

09 Rubicon Unlimited on 42's with some stuff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 32 Old 05-13-2011, 08:22 AM
Wheeler

Why don't you just call AEV directly? Although, there wheels have been designed specifically for the JK. I doubt you'll have any issues.

Jimmy
jimmyzwheelz
post #8 of 32 Old 05-13-2011, 10:16 AM
TrailDuty.com

AlecW had issues with Pintler Beadlocks rubbing with a Poly lift kit. The backspacing on those rims is high and higher than they claim as they measure it in a non traditional way.

AEV list it as having 4.7" backspacing, but using the traditional way of measuring it, a 8.5" wide rim with +10 offset has a backspacing of 5.2".
post #9 of 32 Old 05-13-2011, 10:37 AM
Rock God

Hmm, glad I saw this, I was looking at Pintlers but now...? Thanks for the info!
post #10 of 32 Old 05-13-2011, 10:46 AM
Rock God

I run 1.25 spacers with my AEV wheels. With 35s they were close but did not rub. 37s rubbed real bad. Hit the frame before the lca's it was that bad. I recommend spacers with the AEVs. It makes them look how they are supposed to with 35 or 37s. They stick out just right. And no rub.
post #11 of 32 Old 05-13-2011, 10:56 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie945 View Post
I run 1.25 spacers with my AEV wheels. With 35s they were close but did not rub. 37s rubbed real bad. Hit the frame before the lca's it was that bad. I recommend spacers with the AEVs. It makes them look how they are supposed to with 35 or 37s. They stick out just right. And no rub.
Dang...if I'm buying an aftermarket wheel I don't wanna have to worry about spacers still...that's why I'm going Raceline.

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
post #12 of 32 Old 05-13-2011, 11:47 AM
Wheeler

I am running these wheels with 37 BFG KM'2s on a Tera Flex 4", and do not have a problem. I did have to trim the flange on top of front tower. It is a little close in the rear by the track bar links, but not a problem. When I measure the backspace of these wheel I get 4-7/8. Don't worry...Enjoy
post #13 of 32 Old 05-13-2011, 12:18 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc_fjizzle View Post
Dang...if I'm buying an aftermarket wheel I don't wanna have to worry about spacers still...that's why I'm going Raceline.
I know.. I will say I was a bit pissed that I had to buy spacers. But I did know they were a 4.7 backspace when I got them. Was drinking koolaid from the other forum at the time of the order. IMO lifted JKs need a wheel backspacing of 3.5 not 4.5 to hit the sweet spot. And the Raceline wheels are hot! Good choice.
post #14 of 32 Old 05-13-2011, 12:26 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

I have sold hundreds of AEV wheels never had anyone complain of them rubbing and my customers would complain if there was a problem they are not shy!

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #15 of 32 Old 05-13-2011, 12:37 PM
Wheeler

Alot of people are running those wheels, including myself, but this is the first discussion i remember hearing about rubbing. I am running the OME lift with 35 KM2s and the regular pintlers wo any rub

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
post #16 of 32 Old 05-13-2011, 02:22 PM
Rock God

+10 offset wheel with a 12.5" wide 35" dia. tire should have sufficient clearance , a 13.5" wide 35" dia. tire has a very high probability of rubbing.
IMO offset is the better number to use over Back Spacing in this regard since the latter includes thickness between inboard bead seat and inboard flange lip which may vary with different wheel designs whereas the offset number is not affected by that.
A little rant, would be nice if folks would provide full tire designations instead of just saying my 35's did rub or not since not all 35's have the same section width
post #17 of 32 Old 05-13-2011, 03:50 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamon Creel View Post
+10 offset wheel with a 12.5" wide 35" dia. tire should have sufficient clearance , a 13.5" wide 35" dia. tire has a very high probability of rubbing.
IMO offset is the better number to use over Back Spacing in this regard since the latter includes thickness between inboard bead seat and inboard flange lip which may vary with different wheel designs whereas the offset number is not affected by that.
A little rant, would be nice if folks would provide full tire designations instead of just saying my 35's did rub or not since not all 35's have the same section width
We use 35"x12.50 R17 BFG At's and KM2's also Procompe extreme A/ts and no rub

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #18 of 32 Old 05-13-2011, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I am sure that many have used these wheels with no problem.
However, There are many replies here that are not helpful in figuring this out because of so many differences in build (lift/tires/wheels). That your tires did not rub on your lift does not help me. I need to know your specs. If your lift is different, or your tire size/model is different, it means little in my situation. The Manufacturer of "MY" lift (Poly Performance), says I need backspacing within a certain value range. I placed an order for wheels that are described by Quadratec and AEV as having specs within that value range. Now I find out that someone may be using a "better" or "different" ruler for "true" backspacing? Geez! wouldn't it just make sense to just use a commonly accepted method of measurement. How else can the consumer know when he is comparing apples to apples???

I called AEV this morning and talked to Mike who seemed very knowledgeable and willing to help.... "No problem they will fit" & "we don't know of any rubbing/clearance issues with 35 inch tires"

I called Polly Performance this morning (great to talk with and also very knowledgeable) "they will rub if backspacing is more than 4.7". "Searched the forums for info and see conflicting info on AEV backspacing and clearance issues".

I called Quadratec this morning (I bought the wheels from them)... I talked to Jared who wanted to help and seemed to be genuinely trying to figure this out. He tried to get AEV on the phone to get the story directly from them and also to determine if AEV offers this wheel in an alternate backspacing (which I read somewhere that they do). He was supposed to call me back before he left work today (I think he forgot.....?)

Meanwhile, the wheels are still sitting there, looking awesome ... waiting........................................... ..............

Last edited by dye4it; 05-13-2011 at 06:44 PM.
post #19 of 32 Old 05-13-2011, 07:19 PM
Granite Guru

37x13.5" Toyo Open Country MTR will rub atleast one of the rear clayton control arms (forget which one) spacers were required ..... 37x12.5" GY MTR's will rub only on the left rear stabilizer bar extension rod (at the stabilizer) at full drop. At full drop (before the shocks bottom) the track bar "pulls" the whole axle to the right into the stabilizer extension rod.

Hope this helps. imo for hard core wheelers the AEV wheels are not the ones to go with, raceline, trailready etc make correctly offset beadlocks that don't rub. Down side is they stick out past the fenders. In my state, cops look at you twice, which I don't need.

'08 Rubi Unlimited - a few mods. (sold)
post #20 of 32 Old 05-13-2011, 07:44 PM
Granite Guru

I have AEV Pintler Beadlocks with a 2.5 TF,1" BL , 37" MTR/K's and was rubbing the crap out of the frame. I added Spidertrax spacers and still rub the frame with the swaybar disco'd offroad. I need to adjust the steering stop a bit.

LoD Stinger◊Warn PowerPlant◊RockHard Cage◊AEV Beadlocks◊37" MTR's◊5.38's◊LoD Tire Carrier◊PSC Crusher Flares◊2.5" Teraflex◊1" PA BL
post #21 of 32 Old 05-13-2011, 08:11 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dye4it View Post
I called Polly Performance this morning (great to talk with and also very knowledgeable) "they will rub if backspacing is more than 4.7". "Searched the forums for info and see conflicting info on AEV backspacing and clearance issues".
Call again and ask if 10mm offset would create an issue.

Backspacing is easy to measure but may not necessarily provide an accurate inboard tire position value.
post #22 of 32 Old 05-13-2011, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamon Creel View Post
Call again and ask if 10mm offset would create an issue.

Backspacing is easy to measure but may not necessarily provide an accurate inboard tire position value.
I think it will have to wait till Monday now... I will call again.
post #23 of 32 Old 05-13-2011, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I would love for AEV or Quadratec to comment here. I would like to just mount them up and try them on for size.
post #24 of 32 Old 05-13-2011, 10:40 PM
JPK
Rock God

I run 37" BFG's, which are supposed to have 12.8" section width according the the BFG site, with an AEV 4.5" lift with no rubbing at all.

The keep the tread within the fenders, but not the sidewall, which is skirting the law in MD. No issues with the man in tan yet.

JPK
post #25 of 32 Old 05-13-2011, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks Freak, and others... My issue is with 35x12.5x17 KM2's on 17 inch Pintler beadlocks with +10mm offset.

Last edited by dye4it; 05-13-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode