Are my brake lines safe disco'd? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 05-12-2011, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Are my brake lines safe disco'd?

Any one running a 2.5" spring lift with disconnects? Im going to Rausch creek this weekend And want to pull my jks quick disconnects off but I also want to make it home. Im concerned my brake lines and abs wires are not long enough.

2010 Surf Blue Unlimited

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by b4tn; 05-12-2011 at 07:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-12-2011, 07:47 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4tn View Post
Any one running a 2.5" spring lift with disconnects? Im going to Rausch creek this weekend And want to pull my jks quick disconnects off but I also want to make it home and am not sure if the brake lines and abs wires are long enough.
It depends on the length of your shocks. If you are running a TF 2.5" with TF shocks for their 2.5" and their rear relocation brackets, you will be fine.

You can loosen up the ABS line in the front for more slack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 Old 05-12-2011, 07:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

you should be fine, thats the same lift i had on my old 2 door and i didnt do anything with the brakelines

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-12-2011, 07:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Check them, find the first biggest rock you can and flex it out. Just to make a "should be" a definite.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-12-2011, 09:23 PM
Rock God

They have an RTI ramp right next to the office at Rausch creek you can use that to check you brake lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

post #6 of 11 Old 05-13-2011, 06:47 AM
Wheeler

You haven't mentioned shocks or extensions for the shocks, so assuming you still have the stock shocks then the springs will make no difference as the max extension is based on the shocks not the springs.

So disconnect and go for it!
post #7 of 11 Old 05-13-2011, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I have teraflex shocks for the 2.5" kit. I do know that they have too much travel in the rear because fully flexed the springs would fall out until I put in a spacer with a guide.

But I didnt know RC had an rti ramp. I know I am good with he sway bar connected. But not sure with the disconnects pulled off. I will just test before we hit the trail.

2010 Surf Blue Unlimited

post #8 of 11 Old 05-13-2011, 07:17 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

I have the RK 2.5 stock mod with bilstein 5100's.... it did worry me enough that i added teh cheap brackets which just lowers the mounting point... u can even lower the fronts with the stock hardware and a self tapper...

i dont think there would have been a probably after really cheking it flexed, but it gave me peice of mond and it was one less thing to worry about ( i did a few off road trips with no extension in teh front and it was fine )

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #9 of 11 Old 05-13-2011, 07:35 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4tn View Post
I have teraflex shocks for the 2.5" kit. I do know that they have too much travel in the rear because fully flexed the springs would fall out until I put in a spacer with a guide.

But I didnt know RC had an rti ramp. I know I am good with he sway bar connected. But not sure with the disconnects pulled off. I will just test before we hit the trail.
here is a picture showing the ramp its to the right of the office.

post #10 of 11 Old 05-13-2011, 11:37 AM
Rock God

The older front shocks in the TF 2.5 kit can allow the front to flex far enough to damage the front driveline boot and also damage the break lines. The newer kits come with a little shorter shocks than the older kit, limiting travel.

I had the older kit with the longer shocks and spoke with TF about this. They were, as usual, very helpful and I ended up getting the newer, shorter shocks just to be safe.

I realized that it was a great idea while installing them. I lifted the front of my Jeep to allow the shocks to extend enough to make the swap out easier and found my brake lines were tight as a banjo strings! Could have been bad, bad out on the trail some where.

The new shocks were about 2" shorter and felt like I was going the wrong way. Why am I trying to limit travel? shouldn't I be spending the money on longer brake lines and a new driveline instead?
post #11 of 11 Old 06-19-2011, 07:00 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrider View Post
Why am I trying to limit travel? shouldn't I be spending the money on longer brake lines and a new driveline instead?
rhetorical.

Cali Crew

My Youtube Channel:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode