Best control arms? Can someone sell me. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 05-12-2011, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Best control arms? Can someone sell me.

Hello, I'm looking to get some adjustable rear upper control arms to adjust my angles (aftermarket driveshaft).

In the future I'll probably replace all 8 arms (and would prefer to stay with one company). So it's a big decision to make! I searched a lot of threads on the internet but it was mostly useless input from people who don't wheel.

I'm looking at the teraflex and the rock krawler ones. Aside from the manufacturer's short descriptions there isn't much info on them, and I haven't seen enough JKs with aftermarket control arms in the field to see what's up.

Mainly, I'm looking for flex & ease of rebuilding. What's up with the rock krawler ones? They're cheaper but nobody talks about them at all!

Thanks in advance for any input!!

Last edited by Youri; 05-12-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-12-2011, 01:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Rock Krawler for a couple of reasons:

They offer a liftime warranty on those arms.
If you are concerned about weight, you can get them in aluminum.
Their customer service is amazing.
post #3 of 20 Old 05-12-2011, 01:25 PM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

I know a few guys running the Teraflex Flexarms and they're reportedly pretty kick-ass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 05-12-2011, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

How come the upper rock krawler arms look so bland/cheap?

Don't even look grease-able. Won't those joints wear out so fast?

Lifetime warranty does sound good though.
post #5 of 20 Old 05-12-2011, 01:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youri View Post
Don't even look grease-able. Won't those joints wear out so fast?

Lifetime warranty does sound good though.
From their site:

The Krawler Joints are a revolutionary joint to the Jeep Industry. The housings are forged from chromoly steel, precision machined, heat treated for greater strength, and then plated for a high quality finish. The balls are all one piece units precision machined, made from 52100 series steel and chrome plated. The race ways are a quality poly graphite blend for the ultimate in wear resistence, longevity, and durability. These are the only joints on the market that provide the rated value of misalignment before the housing contacts the mounting brackets. Most other joints on the market are rated at +/- 30 degrees, but the housing contact the mounting brackets at +/- 10 degrees so +/- 10 is really what they offer. The Krawler Joints are easily rebuilt with normal hand tools. The pre-load of the joint can be adjusted while still in the vehicle!
How to service the joints:

The Krawler Joints are unique when it comes to service. We do not use or recommend grease! Grease attracts more dirt and debris then it is worth while doing more harm to the joint itself. Our Krawler Joints are also to tight for grease which is designed to be used in flow through application. We simply recommend removing the service screw, putting in a few drops of 3 and 1 oil and then replacing the service screw everytime you perform an oil change.
post #6 of 20 Old 05-12-2011, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks. That's looking a lot better for RK!!!! Can't believe I didn't find that info.
post #7 of 20 Old 05-12-2011, 01:35 PM
Rock God

Rock krawler arms are great. And the prices are great as well. I run the front lca's. Wouldnt change em for nothing.

Sent from a Android on Tapatalk..
post #8 of 20 Old 05-12-2011, 02:04 PM
Rock God

Garage

Poly Performance

They use quality Currie Johnny Joints not a cheaper knockoff
They are adjustable on the vehicle
The customer service is top notch
They are easily rebuildable if you ever need to
post #9 of 20 Old 05-12-2011, 02:28 PM
GKR
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedly View Post
Poly Performance

They use quality Currie Johnny Joints not a cheaper knockoff
They are adjustable on the vehicle
The customer service is top notch
They are easily rebuildable if you ever need to
I second that. And the adjustablity on the vehicle is huge when you decide you want to square everything up.
post #10 of 20 Old 05-12-2011, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks guys!!! Think I'll be going with the poly arms!!! Going to be on the lookout for deals now.
post #11 of 20 Old 05-12-2011, 03:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Rock Krawler and TeraFlex both make bullet proof arms. I actually Run both brands. TF lowers and RK uppers, you cant go wrong with either!!

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
post #12 of 20 Old 05-12-2011, 03:21 PM
Rock God

Garage

You can't go wrong with either. I have Teraflex uppers and rk lowers. If I was doing it again they'd all be rk though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #13 of 20 Old 05-12-2011, 03:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Although I'll be in the minority (as always) I recommend staying away from Johnny Joint arms. The reason being is that the housing is very wide, and you don't get much misalignment out of them before they contact the mounting bracket. To make it worse, if the other end is pretty rigid, the can really stress out the mounts.

RK arms are great because the Krawler joints achieve high level of misalignment before contacting the bracket (if they ever do). Easier articulation and not as tough on the mounting brackets.

If you want arms that work nearly as well as any but require almost zero maintenance, look at JKS arms. Although right now you will have to mortgage your house to buy some. I've heard they are coming out with an equal-quality but less expensive version at the end of the summer.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #14 of 20 Old 05-12-2011, 04:56 PM
Granite Guru

Should Clayton's be tossed into the list?
post #15 of 20 Old 05-12-2011, 05:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I love the Johny Joints.

I'm using TF LCG Elite arms now and they have withstood my weekend adventures and mall crawling exploits. I have 0 complaints about the quality or function. It seems like TFs level of customer service is going downhill lately though. Joe used to really take care of JKOs, but now their CS presence is very limited and often confrontational.

My next set of arms will probably be Poly; I like the design, the use of Johny Joints, and the great local service. I watch their stuff take a beating in Johnson Valley and other local fun spots in Cali frequently, and I like what I see.
post #16 of 20 Old 05-12-2011, 07:25 PM
Slow and Low

I've been using RK joints for many years. Never had a failure... actually I've never even had one wear out.
The misalignment angles are hard to match and the arms are tough as hell!
post #17 of 20 Old 05-12-2011, 07:36 PM
Rock God

I love my RK arms. I just spray the sides with WD40 every so often to lube them. No need for grease.

Btw, I never got the whole adjusting on the jeep argument for Poly. I adjusted mine once when I put them on.

Mike 2010 Rubicon 2DR | RK 3.5 X FACTOR MID ARM | ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
post #18 of 20 Old 05-12-2011, 07:45 PM
Granite Guru

JKS rubber bushings both end,unlimited misalignement thanks to the center pivot design,tube is 3/8 thick the shaft is solid.I have all 8 and oh my god they are phenomenal,only problem the price?well yes they are pricey but you get what you pay for!
post #19 of 20 Old 05-12-2011, 08:28 PM
It never ends...

I've had rancho, TF and TnT. TnT are the best. They are stronger than TF and Rancho, at least on my rig, I also like the yarns in front and the three link system in the back. The y arm and three link flex easier than 4 arm systems. TnT mounts are tucked up inside the frame... I like stuff that doesn't break. My rig is big too I've been beating the snot out of it. TNT has the best system I think for the combo of robustness and ride.

I love Wheeling, it frees the mind
T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Adventures of Rex Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 20 Old 05-12-2011, 08:43 PM
JKowners Vendor

This is a toss up! We sell a ton of the ones from RK but we sell our fair share of Poly's too! I dont think you can go wrong with either!

-Jason

:

Phone: 864-437-8029
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode