For guys running Currie 60s, do your run rear spacers? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 05-11-2011, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

For guys running Currie 60s, do your run rear spacers?

The Currie front 60 is 2.75" wider than the rear.

Do you guys run wheel spacers or ask for a custom width on the back to match the front, or do you just run them at different widths?

The Teraflex 60s are closer to the same width.

Trying to decide between the Teraflex and the Currie.

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 05-11-2011, 07:19 PM
Rock God

Garage

I don't run rear spacers
I called currie about this and they said that most vehicles are made with the front axle wider then the rear and they don't know why the jk's are both even.
Edit: also they said turning radius is better with a wider front then rear

95 Hemi YJ on Treps with a ton of cool custom work

*gone*09rubi unlimited Rock Krawler 5.5 long arm w/rrd Coilovers 37 Falken wildpeak's Currie 60's

Last edited by jeepnick; 05-11-2011 at 07:35 PM.
post #3 of 23 Old 05-11-2011, 07:45 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnick View Post
I don't run rear spacers
Edit: also they said turning radius is better with a wider front then rear
^^^^^^^^^^
This
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 05-11-2011, 07:50 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcraig7 View Post
^^^^^^^^^^
This
X3

Turns great on the trail.

Looks a little funny from the rear on the road. Who cares.

post #5 of 23 Old 05-11-2011, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Nice. Thanks guys.

Opinions on springing extra for 40 spline rear shafts?

All the bends that I have read about are at the flange. Don't know a solution to that other than full float. Haven't read of broken rear 35 spline shafts.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

post #6 of 23 Old 05-11-2011, 08:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

68.75 Front
68.5 rear

no spacers, 4" BS

08 Rubicon - AWE FAWK TOO MUCH TO LIST!
post #7 of 23 Old 05-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Rock God

Garage

This is next to a rubi rear shaft difference is massive
And for a couple hundred bucks it's worth the added insurance IMHO

*gone*09rubi unlimited Rock Krawler 5.5 long arm w/rrd Coilovers 37 Falken wildpeak's Currie 60's
post #8 of 23 Old 05-11-2011, 08:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

currie should be coming out with a FF rear this summer..

when you order a custom length axle it's an extra 800- 1k

post #9 of 23 Old 05-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Rock God

Planman, I think if I was in the place to buy a bolt in rear axle I would have to get a full float. There is a obvious strength difference in the 35 spline and 40 spline, but the jk are not breaking shafts just bending them at the flange. Full float would fix that problem. A 35 shaft in a full float axle should have not have an issue behind the jk 3.8. Just my 2 cents worth.

08 jk unlimited X
1 ton axles
39.5 Iroks

post #10 of 23 Old 05-11-2011, 08:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redx08 View Post
Planman, I think if I was in the place to buy a bolt in rear axle I would have to get a full float. There is a obvious strength difference in the 35 spline and 40 spline, but the jk are not breaking shafts just bending them at the flange. Full float would fix that problem. A 35 shaft in a full float axle should have not have an issue behind the jk 3.8. Just my 2 cents worth.
x^2

post #11 of 23 Old 05-12-2011, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

If the current Currie rear 60 with 5.38s, ARB, 1350 yoke, and set 80 bearings retails for $3400, how much would a similarly built full float be?

Looks like a Solid full float retails for only $300 more than a semi float.

post #12 of 23 Old 05-12-2011, 05:55 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

What jacks up price is the placement of the sensors and tone ring... And mind you the JK the NEWEST jeep...

I would love me some spider 9's with truHI9 section.

post #13 of 23 Old 05-12-2011, 06:58 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by planman View Post
If the current Currie rear 60 with 5.38s, ARB, 1350 yoke, and set 80 bearings retails for $3400, how much would a similarly built full float be?

Looks like a Solid full float retails for only $300 more than a semi float.

It's supposed to be around 5.5-7 grand (very similar to dynatrac's FF axle)

It'll be interesting to see how much the anvil(full traction/pure jeep) full float upgrade kit is.

'08 Unlimited Sahara - Hemi -
Long Arm CoilOver - RockJock 60 Front - Tera CRD60 Rear - Hutchinsons & 37" Kevlar MT/R's -
Fenders & Rockers -
Bumpers - Ramsey 9500UT - WTOR Hydro Assist - Etc.
post #14 of 23 Old 05-12-2011, 07:46 AM
JKowners Vendor

No spacers on my D60's, but I had them built for custom length. My full floater is custom as well. I set my customers up for a bit wider than normally offered so there are no clearance issues.
post #15 of 23 Old 05-12-2011, 08:13 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prope View Post
It's supposed to be around 5.5-7 grand (very similar to dynatrac's FF axle)

It'll be interesting to see how much the anvil(full traction/pure jeep) full float upgrade kit is.
I figured they had to be significantly higher in price...

post #16 of 23 Old 05-12-2011, 03:47 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by planman View Post
Nice. Thanks guys.

Opinions on springing extra for 40 spline rear shafts?

All the bends that I have read about are at the flange. Don't know a solution to that other than full float. Haven't read of broken rear 35 spline shafts.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
To date I have not seen one Currie axle shaft bend at the flange. I seen them bend at the shaft or twist the splines. The outcome of a bent shaft will be the same, the flange will wobble making the brakes drag.

The Currie JK Floater will be available by the end of the month (missing one part). It will be a 1,600.00 upgrade to an existing housing package. It is made to re-use factory brakes, rotors need to be machined.

Features,

- 35 Spline 4340 Wasted Body Axles Shafts
- 4140 Heat Treated Spindles
- Stage 8 Spindle Nuts
- Heat Treated Drive Flange
- Locking Hub Compatible
post #17 of 23 Old 05-12-2011, 04:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID @ CURRIE ENTERPRISES View Post
To date I have not seen one Currie axle shaft bend at the flange.
I bent one at the flange. Replaced with a new currie axle last month. When I pulled the old one, the shaft was perfectly straight. Its from abusing my 6,000# jeep in my pursuit of fun. These damn JKs are heavy beasts when armored-up

I believe that Hitmoney and several others have had it happen as well.
post #18 of 23 Old 05-12-2011, 04:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
To date I have not seen one Currie axle shaft bend at the flange. I seen them bend at the shaft or twist the splines. The outcome of a bent shaft will be the same, the flange will wobble making the brakes drag.

The Currie JK Floater will be available by the end of the month (missing one part). It will be a 1,600.00 upgrade to an existing housing package. It is made to re-use factory brakes, rotors need to be machined.

Features,

- Stage 8 Spindle Nuts
- Locking Hub Compatible
do you mean existing housing ordered and to prvious existing customers with semi float rear ends as well... (as a conversion package)

post #19 of 23 Old 05-12-2011, 04:31 PM
Rock God

Garage

Will the upgrade be available for those of us that went 40 spline?

Last edited by jeepnick; 05-12-2011 at 04:36 PM.
post #20 of 23 Old 05-12-2011, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
I bent one at the flange. Replaced with a new currie axle last month. When I pulled the old one, the shaft was perfectly straight. Its from abusing my 6,000# jeep in my pursuit of fun. These damn JKs are heavy beasts when armored-up

I believe that Hitmoney and several others have had it happen as well.
I sent my bent ones back to David.. I don't know if the axle was bent or if the flange was bent.. to me, bent is bent.. doesn't matter..lol

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #21 of 23 Old 05-12-2011, 04:56 PM
Wheeler

You will not be able to "upgrade" your housing. The housing must be built from the begining as a floater. At this time all I have is 35 spline.
post #22 of 23 Old 05-12-2011, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:

Features,

- Stage 8 Spindle Nuts
- Locking Hub Compatible
So do you have a part number yet with the capability for a pre-release order?

Width?

post #23 of 23 Old 05-13-2011, 05:04 PM
Wheeler

Yes I do have part #'s, they are not on the website yet and we are not taking pre-orders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode