Rear Trackbar bracket or adjustable trackbar or both. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 05-10-2011, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Rear Trackbar bracket or adjustable trackbar or both.

Rear Trackbar bracket or adjustable trackbar or both. right now I am running a stock track bar with JKS reinforcment brace on axle side and a rough country drop down bracket on the frame side.

I want to get rid of the RC bracket and install a adjustable track bar instead. Will I also need some sort of bracket as well? I have about 3 inches of lift in rear.

The RC bracket is hitting my bumpstop pad and shock body as well when I wheel. I cannot have a axle side bracket because JKS reinforment bracket would interfere I think. As far as I know the only other bracket that goes on frame side other than RC is teraflex. Should I go with that and adj bar or just the bar?

the biggest liftI will ever go to is clayton 3.5 or Rockkrawler 3.5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-10-2011, 08:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Get either Teraflex's or Polys bracket and bar set. Done. Tera's allows different mounting points to match the drop angle with the front bar & drag link. A small but critical setting.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-10-2011, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
Get either Teraflex's or Polys bracket and bar set. Done. Tera's allows different mounting points to match the drop angle with the front bar & drag link. A small but critical setting.
Id love to but the JKS bracket is going to interfere with any axle side bracket I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-11-2011, 06:39 AM
Wheeler

What do you mean?

I have the Teraflex axle end bracket (RHD though) and it clears everything. Better yet its simply a bolt on and a lot stronger than the stock setup.
post #5 of 14 Old 05-11-2011, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I have a JKS weld on stock bracket brace on axle side. It is not a relocation bracket, it just reinforces stock bracket. The way it is designed, I dont think an axle side relocation bracket it going to work with it. It is welded on.
post #6 of 14 Old 05-11-2011, 09:02 PM
Rock God

I "will" be running the JKS front and rear axle side trackbar braces and the Poly Performance/Synergy frame side trackbar braces with front and rear JKS trackbars [my stuff is waiting to be installed]. The Synergy braces are NOT relocation brackets and are bolt-on pieces.

Synergy front brace
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16315_6308.htm

Synergy rear brace
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16315_6407.htm

Wrangler Mountain Edition

Rock KrawlerSynergyJKSLoDGoodyear
post #7 of 14 Old 05-12-2011, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20JK10 View Post
I "will" be running the JKS front and rear axle side trackbar braces and the Poly Performance/Synergy frame side trackbar braces with front and rear JKS trackbars [my stuff is waiting to be installed]. The Synergy braces are NOT relocation brackets and are bolt-on pieces.

Synergy front brace
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16315_6308.htm

Synergy rear brace
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16315_6407.htm
how much lift are you running? I ordered the JKS adj trackbar but nothing else. I like the poly brace idea. Any more ideas on whehter I need a 4rear relocation bracket in addition tothe adj trackbar with 3 inches of lift in the rear?
post #8 of 14 Old 05-12-2011, 01:25 AM
Rock God

Garage

In short, a lift over 4" you need to move the roll center below that either way is acceptable. From the rear brackets I've seen the poly bolt-on is the best. Matter of fact I am replacing the axle side rear bracket of my RE lift this summer with it, although I'll be welding it in place. The RE is cast and the poly is steel beef.

The poly frame side reinforcement brackets are great but, not really needed unless you need/want beef. The adjustable track bar will allow you dial in the axle placement. In the rear being off a little does not hurt.

I have copy/pasted a reply I made some months ago to a guy with a very similar question about roll center of a vehicle. The comments about bracket and space really apply to the front end; in the rear the best way to do it is with a quality axle side bracket....IMO

Here are my thoughts on the issue you ask about. I do want to clarify I am an Electrical engineer not a mechanical or automotive. For your reference you can read a pdf at this link...(you may want some asprin after reading it)

http://www.neohio-scca.org/comp_clin...namics2007.pdf

But I will try to briefly explain the concept and how is applies directly to your question.

The "roll center" is more crucial in a high speed situation; you have more lateral force (sideways) at high speed than in low speed, or no speed, situation. Obviously, our JKs are not high speed units.

The most crucial measurement is the angle but, the SAE defines it as a height. In plain English, the more angle the track bar has the more likely the vehicle is to roll (let me finish). The best is to have the track bar and the axle on the same plane; this is the most rigid set-up. Great then just add brackets, right?? NO...The brackets have disadvantages like increasing the leverage of the force; this is why they are prone to fail. Also, if you bracket down or up the tack bar then, you (may) decrease the amount of suspension travel available.

So in a nut shell, when you raise a vehicle to improve off-road capability you DECREASE on-road. This is the nature of the beast. So, what we do is compromise. Unless you go with a heavy duty bracket that will not fail it is better to have an adjustable track bar. But, once you get over a certain height (because the higher you go the more increase in angle of the track bar) you do need brackets.

To recap, the problem with brackets is they are more likely to bend or break and only have a set-measurement or, a rough adjustment if there are multiple mounting holes. An adjustable track bar allows for fine adjustment.

I'll go back to your post.... the proper wording would be “a bracket lowers the angle of roll center and a longer track bar increase the angle". The rub is if we increase the angle it will allow for more articulation but decrease stability.

Here is the answer to your question “is there a difference in handling or ‘Roll Center’ be using a bracket vs track bar?” for OUR application under 4" of lift a longer adjustable track bar is better, over 4" you need to buy heavy duty bracket AND have an adjustable track bar. The key is with less than 4" the roll center angle of just a longer track bar is in an acceptable range for our usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
.....a dark forum, were people would sometimes be rude but yet be helpful.
JK 2dr rubi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by toymaster; 05-12-2011 at 01:28 AM.
post #9 of 14 Old 05-12-2011, 07:29 AM
Rock God

I will be running the Rock Krawler 2.5" lift once I get it installed. So I won't have to worry about relocation brackets.

Wrangler Mountain Edition

Rock KrawlerSynergyJKSLoDGoodyear
post #10 of 14 Old 05-12-2011, 08:48 AM
Rock God

At 3", I would not worry about an axle side relocation bracket.

I would run rear lower coil degree correction wedges from RK or RC with some method of lower coil retainer (JKS, Currie, or just a strong hose clamp).

If the coil degree correction wedges aren't enough to provide enough clearance between the rear passenger spring and the trackbar, I'd send back the JKS trackbar you ordered and instead order a Teraflex rear trackbar.

The Teraflex trackbar design bows/bends back immediately after the stock frameside bracket in order to provide more clearance for the rear passenger side spring.

This is mostly a 2 dr JK issue.

post #11 of 14 Old 05-12-2011, 08:51 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20JK10 View Post
I will be running the Rock Krawler 2.5" lift once I get it installed. So I won't have to worry about relocation brackets.
Both RK 2.5" kits come with rear axle side trackbar relocation brackets.

post #12 of 14 Old 05-13-2011, 07:05 AM
Wheeler

As I mentioned before I have the Teraflex rear axle raising bracket with a 2.75in rear spring lift (3in Rubicon Express springs settled to 2.75). I chose this over the Poly bracket only because the Poly bracket needed the original bracket cut off and the Teraflex one bolts over it. Heres a few pics:

EDIT: I should add that these pics are of the RHD version, so the brackets ont he wrong side for you guys

Last edited by SeaComms; 05-13-2011 at 10:56 PM.
post #13 of 14 Old 02-07-2013, 12:09 PM

Does Teraflex have any reccomendations for which bolt hole to use out of the three? Based on lift height etc.? Or is it a matter of trial and error depending on how centered your axle ends up after install?
post #14 of 14 Old 02-07-2013, 12:32 PM
Rock God

i have the JKS reinforment bracket on my rear axle with a modified RK trackbar bracket. I also have a JKS adjustable track bar.

09' White JKU Rubicon with some stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode