Rockhard 4x4 tank skid & Poly Skid System? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 05-10-2011, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Rockhard 4x4 tank skid & Poly Skid System?

Right now I have Poly's full skid system, which replaces the crossmember. Thinking I need a tank skid, now that Moab ledges have beaten the living crap out of the stocker. Poly's tank skid ($600 w/powdercoat) requires pulling the entire tank & replacing the stocker, while RH4X4's skid ($349 w/powdercoat) just bolts over the stocker and attaches to the cross member. I'm wondering if I could save a lot of cash & aggravation and use the RH4x4 skid with the Poly setup. I know I'd have to modify the RH4x4 skid to match it up to the Poly main skid, but wondering if anyone else has done this succesfully before I plop down the cash. THX!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-11-2011, 07:14 AM
JKowners Vendor

We sell both of them and would also like to know. We have been looking into mixing different options between the different comapanies that make skids but this is a new one for us. It is sometimes not all about the mounting but some skids extend more in areas that others may not. So, at least you may be looking at some cutting and triming. Not sure what would all be involved though...

-Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #3 of 13 Old 05-11-2011, 07:49 AM
JKO Addict!

Dropping the tank isn't that bad, just kind of tedious and you need to make sure it is near empty and the pressure relieved. The Poly skid is expensive almost to the point of ridiculous, and a pain to install, but like the rest of the system it is completely bombproof. Good luck denting the thing. I could easily jack up my Jeep from that skid.

The Rock Hard is an easier install and a hell of a lot less expensive, and will do its job. If you're bringing down a fat 4-dr Jake on that skid regularly though, they will dent and deform a fair amount. Not like the stocker, of course, but you will mangle it some. Some guys are installing ribbing on the inside of the skid to keep it a bit stronger.

If you can afford it and don't mind the one-time install pain, I'd go with the Poly. Otherwise the RH will be fine.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-11-2011, 08:20 AM
JKO Addict!

Pulling the stock skid didn't require dropping the tank, at least on my 2dr. I was able to do it myself with just ratchet straps and a pretty empty tank. Is there something on the poly that has to be done only with the tank completely out?

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-11-2011, 08:33 AM
TrailDuty.com

I have the RH4x4 gas tank skid and it is pretty much dent free, you can slide across rocks with it and slam down on it with no deformation. I would expect no less from a Poly product, which are always top quality.

As already mentioned, the RH4x4 is a piece of cake to install, the Poly one is a little more in depth as it completely replaces the factory skid plate.

I don't see any room on the RH4x4 gas tank skid to add any ribs and don't see the need. On the RH4x4 t-case and engine skids I added ribs to the inside, as the t-case skid did bend a little too easily for my liking.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-11-2011, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

The Poly main skid requires you to cut about 3" off the front of the stock tank skid, which then goes on top of the Poly skid and is held in place with two bolts. Looks like the RH4x4 skid just lays over the stock tank skid and in front mounts to the same two spots as the stocker. So, wonder if I could shorten the RTH4x4 skid the same amount and just bolt it on to the Poly skid in the same way. Doesn't look like I could bend it very easily to do a "force fit".
post #7 of 13 Old 05-11-2011, 05:50 PM
JKO Addict!

I would find out the availability and cost of both skids with out powdercoat, and start from there. Powdercoating is nice; however, you will pay a premium with little to no intrinsic value on a skid plate. Rattle can is the way to go.

Rest In Peace Guinness. You will never be forgotten. My brother and my best friend
post #8 of 13 Old 05-11-2011, 06:27 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
I would find out the availability and cost of both skids with out powdercoat, and start from there. Powdercoating is nice; however, you will pay a premium with little to no intrinsic value on a skid plate. Rattle can is the way to go.
That is a good point that a lot of people overlook. A skid WILL get scratched if you wheel so why pay more for the powder coating??

-Jason

:

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #9 of 13 Old 05-12-2011, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

I'd think with a Poly tank skid one would not want it to corrode on the inside surfaces, next to the tank itself. The outside, sure, probably no issues. I'll have to dig a bit deeper into this. The Poly skid is one tough unit and I assume the tank skid would be the same. The only real issue with it is that it has to be completely removed in order to service the trans.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-12-2011, 04:02 PM
JKO Addict!

You running a manual or auto?

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #11 of 13 Old 05-12-2011, 04:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have all rock hard skids. The fuel tank skid is the only one I haven't been able to mangle yet. It was very easy to install. But overall, Poly makes much better quality stuff than RH.

Even though I am running the TF LCG lift, I am using a Full Traction cross-member because I already destroyed 2 of the weak factory ones. I had to trim a couple inches off the front of the RH tank skid to get it to fit the FT cross-member. You are probably going to need to do something similar to run the RH with the Poly.

Don't feel bad, most of us have a hodge-podge of parts mixed from different vendors on our Jeeps.
post #12 of 13 Old 05-12-2011, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Defector View Post
Automatic
post #13 of 13 Old 05-12-2011, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Defector View Post
Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
I have all rock hard skids. The fuel tank skid is the only one I haven't been able to mangle yet. It was very easy to install. But overall, Poly makes much better quality stuff than RH.
Good to know because we do Moab several times a year and the Cliffhanger style ledges can put a hurt of weaker stuff. The Poly stuff on there right now has held up incredibly well.

Quote:
Even though I am running the TF LCG lift, I am using a Full Traction cross-member because I already destroyed 2 of the weak factory ones. I had to trim a couple inches off the front of the RH tank skid to get it to fit the FT cross-member. You are probably going to need to do something similar to run the RH with the Poly.
I looked at the Poly main skid today and it looks like I could maybe just leave the stock skid attached as it is, lay the RH4x4 skid over it and drill & tap the Poly skid to hold the front two bolts. OTOH, maybe I should just pop the extra 250 bucks for the Poly and have the whole system.

Quote:
Don't feel bad, most of us have a hodge-podge of parts mixed from different vendors on our Jeeps.
Lol, that's the way mine is shaping up. When people ask what suspension I have I tell them either "Terapoly", or "PolyFlex".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode