Disadvantages to 15x8 rims and 35's? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 05-10-2011, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Disadvantages to 15x8 rims and 35's?

I am getting ready to pull the trigger for new rims and tires for my JKU. I really like the look of 35's on 15" rims but wanted to get some opinions on the advantages disadvantages from some of you experts. The only disadvantage I can think of is softer sidewall may make cornering mushy on road but I cant think of a time when I need my jeep to corner well at high speed. Maybe loosing the bead easier when aired down?

Advantages, much cheaper tires, better traction, more availability of tires in 15" sizes

2010 Surf Blue Unlimited

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by b4tn; 05-10-2011 at 05:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-10-2011, 05:40 AM
Rock God

Garage

There are a few disadvantages but, some people run 15s. Most 15" rims will fit with just a little grinding of the brake caliper.

The down side is you cannot upgrade to bigger size brake caliper, you cannot use the currie tie rod, and there is more tire less rim so, the combo is harder to balance. We ran 15" for decades with large tires but i'm just sayin'.

Nothing major and if you are staying 35" or less none should be a deal breaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
.....a dark forum, were people would sometimes be rude but yet be helpful.
JK 2dr rubi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 Old 05-10-2011, 07:15 AM
Granite Guru

Try and look for 16's. It will look the same. I'm running 35/12.5/15's GY MT/R's. I love the look but running spacers. I like the wider stance, but spacers are one more thing to keep torqued. Or go with 15's for now and when you upgrade to 37's get a bigger wheel. That's my plan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-10-2011, 07:30 AM
Granite Guru

As said, going big brake is the main one. It cracks me up when people say don't go over this certain size with 15's. Truth is Jeepers have been running huge tires on 15's for years and years. You still see floods of jeeps rolling the trails on 44's with 15's. I'm on 40's with 15's love it and will never change, unless I want to go big brakes but haven't seen the need for them yet.
post #5 of 14 Old 05-10-2011, 07:52 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Nothing to worry about aside from a little caliper modification which isn't always necessary.

I just sold my 15/35 combo You another member here so I could run 17/37s.

The price is right and they look good! Do it!

Check us out if you need help locating wheels and tires. I can ship your setup free.

Marcus

Sent from my cellular communication device.

post #6 of 14 Old 05-10-2011, 07:58 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

15x35... pro comp's... no grinding of the caliper, and they balance fine with stick on weights deep on the inside..

benefit for me is... more sidewall.... and it gives the appearance of bigger tires, people always ask of they are 37's...

disadvantage... the jeep front brakes suck....so if u want to upgrade ??

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #7 of 14 Old 05-10-2011, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyquicken View Post
Try and look for 16's. It will look the same. I'm running 35/12.5/15's GY MT/R's. I love the look but running spacers. I like the wider stance, but spacers are one more thing to keep torqued. Or go with 15's for now and when you upgrade to 37's get a bigger wheel. That's my plan.
I would think that with 3.75 backspace on the procomps I am looking at I wouldnt need spacers to clear 35s?

2010 Surf Blue Unlimited

post #8 of 14 Old 05-10-2011, 10:33 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

The only other con is with the increase in sidewall, you do lose some of your towing capacity. If you never tow then this is a mute point.

/

post #9 of 14 Old 05-10-2011, 12:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
Nothing to worry about aside from a little caliper modification which isn't always necessary.

I just sold my 15/35 combo You another member here so I could run 17/37s.

The price is right and they look good! Do it!

Check us out if you need help locating wheels and tires. I can ship your setup free.

Marcus

Sent from my cellular communication device.
That's right! I've noticed that they really track witht the road surface, but they never rubbed the calipers.

The pro is that they look bad ass

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
post #10 of 14 Old 05-10-2011, 12:43 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via AIM to dickyB Send a message via Skype™ to dickyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmmns View Post
15x35... pro comp's... no grinding of the caliper, and they balance fine with stick on weights deep on the inside..

benefit for me is... more sidewall.... and it gives the appearance of bigger tires, people always ask of they are 37's...

disadvantage... the jeep front brakes suck....so if u want to upgrade ??
X2 For me. I'm running Procomp 8069 with no spacers and no rubbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
I like driving my jeep around while wearing a suit....it says I'm formal, but I'm here to party.
post #11 of 14 Old 05-10-2011, 07:58 PM
Rock God

I have 15's and 35's. I didn't NEED spacers but i used nascar 1/8" spacers just for peace of mind.
post #12 of 14 Old 05-10-2011, 09:22 PM
Granite Guru

Procomp 8069 with KM2 size 35, love it.
2.5 BB, 3.75 backspace, no rubbing!! On Rubicons you should trim rock rail and pinch seem, no mater what size rim.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon automatic with 35" KM2

15" black procomp 8069
Swag Offroad tailgate conversion
OR-Fab Tire carrier with Amo can for straps & tools
K&N cold air intake
Magnaflow exhaust
Alpine iDA-X305S
MB Quart 4 channel amp
MB Quart 6" Components
Pollk Audio 6" components
post #13 of 14 Old 05-11-2011, 06:38 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardenasrc51 View Post
Procomp 8069 with KM2 size 35, love it.
2.5 BB, 3.75 backspace, no rubbing!! On Rubicons you should trim rock rail and pinch seem, no mater what size rim.
u should trim the pinch seams on any JK with 35's... and u should also trim the stocks or buy flat fenders.... because they will be your limiting factor in flex and the stock fender clips will break at a rate of like four at a time as soon as u rub....trust me

Pro Comp 8069's (15X10) ...35 MTR Kevlars.... 2.5 RK Stock Mod and trimmed fenders.... perfect setup for me right now !!

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...

Last edited by Asmmns; 05-11-2011 at 06:41 AM.
post #14 of 14 Old 05-13-2011, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I just pulled the trigger. Got a set of 15" Procomp 1079's, 35 r15 KM2's, and C gussets on the way. Now I just have to find a local shop that can install 4.88's for me. 3.73 aint gonna cut it.

2010 Surf Blue Unlimited

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode