Rear Passenger axle seal and bearing issue - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 05-09-2011, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Rear Passenger axle seal and bearing issue

Last week I started getting a squeal from my rear passenger brake. With Jeep Beach this week I decided to do a once over and make sure everything was good to go... I figured my rear pads were starting to go.

I pull of the tire and to my surprise I've got a decent amount of seepage around the axle seal. I clean it up, put the tire back on and give it a shake. Its got a slight movement, but nothing tremendous.

Shafts are Superior Chromo Rubi 44's

Here's my questions:

1. Can I get replacement bearing, seal and collar at a local autoparts store?
2. Is it a good idea to drive the 1000 mi round trip to Jeep Beach on it? (pretty sure I know the answer to this one)

I've got a spare shaft I can throw in, just tight on time. If I can get the parts, I can drop it off down the road, have them press it all together, throw it in, and I'm good to go.

My other thought was to bring it with me hoping one of the vendors or shops down near Daytona would have a bearing/ collar/ seal I could buy.

Joe -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-09-2011, 09:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmaverse View Post

1. Can I get replacement bearing, seal and collar at a local autoparts store?

Yes, call Superiour and ask them for the exact part number or set and will be able to get at ANY parts store.
2. Is it a good idea to drive the 1000 mi round trip to Jeep Beach on it? (pretty sure I know the answer to this one)
define "seepage" like a tablespoon a day or like a puddle a day?
tablespoon= ya..sorta. carry some gear oil.
puddle= no

I've got a spare shaft I can throw in, just tight on time. If I can get the parts, I can drop it off down the road, have them press it all together, throw it in, and I'm good to go.
takes like 30min to swap a shaft, toss the old/good one back in and then swap the Superior after changing the bearing/seal

My other thought was to bring it with me hoping one of the vendors or shops down near Daytona would have a bearing/ collar/ seal I could buy.

common parts and easy to install if you have a press. if not here is what I have done with no press (actually the first part I do with or without a press)
cut a deep notch in the retainer with a cut-off wheel, stick a cold chisel in the cut and whack with a big fuckin hammer, retainer should go "CRACK" and split, tap it off and save.
cut off bearing cage then notch race the same as retainer, chisel, hammer, remove.

Now slide your new shat on correctly and then slide that split retainer on top, this prevents you from damaging anything with the next step ( now you would normally use a press)

Find a long hunk of pipe big enough for the shaft to slide in, slide axle in pipe, secure well and either use a big ass hammer on the pipe to seat the retainer OR use the shaft like a slide hammer to do the same.

I recommend buying a press or making friends with someone who has one. But yes, I have pressed bearings with a big ass pipe
post #3 of 20 Old 05-09-2011, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

The seepage isnt even leaving residue in the driveway thats how little it is. Id say it looks like maybe a tablespoon or two since Saturday... it took until today for the brakes to start squealing again... so 3 days before enough got around to the brakes.

I'll give superior a call tomorrow.

Doc, Your answers sit just about where I thought they would.. for some reason, calling superior for a part # never crossed my mind... however, having them ship a part down to Daytona did... now I need to find some time tomorrow or Wednesday to do this... wouldnt think it would be that hard to find a 1/2 hour.

thanks Doc!

Joe -
-
-
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 05-09-2011, 10:22 PM
Rock God

I drive about 10-12 miles a day at 35mph max and in a week and a half after I noticed a leak my stock passenger bearings had eaten the seal and themselves. After I pulled the axle I couldn't find the race so it may have gotten knocked out when the R&P were done but I dunno. Went to the local Napa & got the new seal & bearing/race off the shelf and I live in the middle of no where.

Mike
post #5 of 20 Old 05-09-2011, 11:25 PM
Granite Guru

I don't know how much help it would be, but I will be at Jeepbeach early am Friday. I can bring a stock shaft with everything on it, but we would have to have everything pressed off. I don't think the shaft will be usable though since the splines are twisted, but any parts we can get off, you are welcome to have

Now I have no idea if the any of the stock parts would fit on the Superior, but I can always bring it and find out.

I finally ditched that "other" forum
and coming to wheel on the dark side
post #6 of 20 Old 05-10-2011, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Thanks for the offer, that why I love this place! I've got my trail spare, so I'm not super worried, and its all set to go. So worst case I'll just throw that in. My problem is its one more thing I dont have time for. already crunched for time... that and getting the chromo shaft fixed. I've got a feeling that if I wheel it while I'm down there, I can kiss that trail spare goodbye

Joe -
-
-
-
post #7 of 20 Old 05-10-2011, 07:51 AM
Granite Guru

haha no worries man. I feel ya though, I just dropped off Jeep for those damn RE bushings to finally get replaced. If anything changes, just let me know before Thursday. See ya down there

post #8 of 20 Old 05-10-2011, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

So I think I found the problem... dont know why I didnt notice this when I installed the shafts.

I pulled the shaft tonight to find the bearing installed backwards (compared to stock). the whole base of the bearing is very loose. Could this have caused it to deteriorate so quickly?

I picked up a replacement seal and bearing from AAP. Bearing is a slightly different style then the original... its all one piece rather then a separate race. Would this have any impact? Its the same dimensions/size as the OEM.

Taking to the shop down the street to get it all pressed together tomorrow.

Joe -
-
-
-
post #9 of 20 Old 05-10-2011, 08:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Just FYI a lot of napa stores will press them on for like 20 bucks

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #10 of 20 Old 05-10-2011, 08:42 PM
Granite Guru

one piece vs a separate race and bearing, you should be fine. I think the Timken bearing I used was one piece and I have also had the race and bearing in there. Just be sure that the old race has been removed from the axle tube.

post #11 of 20 Old 05-10-2011, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
Just FYI a lot of napa stores will press them on for like 20 bucks
yeah that what the place down the road charges... I had to replace the driver side over the winter and discovered they could do it for me... and a hell of a lot closer than the place that pressed this one on wrong.

Joe -
-
-
-
post #12 of 20 Old 05-10-2011, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by captjay View Post
Just be sure that the old race has been removed from the axle tube.
no choice, the bearing was in backwards, so pulling the shaft, pulled the race.

Joe -
-
-
-
post #13 of 20 Old 05-11-2011, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

FUCK!!!!!

So got the shaft pressed together, put everything back together. Pull out for the test drive and I've got ESP going off and some popping coming from the rear.

Working on pulling the shaft back out.. see whats going on.

Anybody got any ideas?

Joe -
-
-
-
post #14 of 20 Old 05-11-2011, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Shaft is being a bitch and after a half hour of banging is barely any closer to coming out.

FUCK. this is not what I need to be doing today.

Joe -
-
-
-
post #15 of 20 Old 05-11-2011, 05:31 PM
Rock God

i had to rent an axle puller from advance auto to get my rear shafts out. they give you your money back when you return it. i used some black sealer on the axle tube under the race to make sure it didn't leak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukecage View Post
If I hear banjos I'm out! I almost feel like an alien being a black guy in a jeep already, this is gonna be a real adventure
post #16 of 20 Old 05-11-2011, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

I broke the slide hammer I got from advance. At this point, it's looking like I'll be missing Jeep Beach. We're going to put some heat on the axle tube tomorrow as a last ditch effort. If I get it together by 3pm, I'll be on my way... If not, well, let's not go there yet

Joe -
-
-
-
post #17 of 20 Old 05-12-2011, 06:28 AM
Rock God

sorry to hear that. i had a front axle and unit bearing go out on me this week too got that done and i notice that the passenger side upper ball joint is going too. out of time so thats how I'm rolling to jeep beach. i don't know if it helps but i have my stock rears with everything pressed on i can bring to daytona for a cold beer. pm me your number if i can help. hope you make it down

edit i have an 09x

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukecage View Post
If I hear banjos I'm out! I almost feel like an alien being a black guy in a jeep already, this is gonna be a real adventure

Last edited by bubba2u; 05-12-2011 at 06:30 AM. Reason: 09 x
post #18 of 20 Old 05-12-2011, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Appreciate the offer. If I make it to Daytona, that means all is right in the world.

Joe -
-
-
-
post #19 of 20 Old 05-12-2011, 07:32 AM
Granite Guru

not trying to be a smartass, but I have been frustrated when pulling the rear and I had overlooked a nut on the retainer with 4 nuts on it. I wonder if you have some twisted splines. I can't see a bearing holding it in there that tight.

Hope it works out for ya man and if you make it down, I'll buy ya a beer or 2 or 3

post #20 of 20 Old 05-12-2011, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

well it all came out today... the race went in backward and slightly cockeyed... thats why it took so much effort. Grooved the tube prety good too. It ended up requiring an oxyacetalyn torch heating the tube and the slide hammer to get it out. I've still got to put it back together tomorrow, but hopefully that will be uneventful.

this teaches me one very valuable lesson: TAKE YOUR TIME

There's only one person to blame for all of this. The race was put on backwards, I knew it as I was putting it in. I decided it ran like that for about a year, it could run like that a little longer... in my haste to get it back together I caused all of this. stepping back and taking a little extra time to either insure the race was seating correctly, or better yet, taking the shaft back would have saved me a lot of pain.

$170 later (Mobile Mechanic, new bearing, new seal, etc), its almost fixed. lesson learned.

Joe -
-
-
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode