Poly Performance / Synergy Stage 4 Long Arm Review - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old 05-09-2011, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Poly Performance / Synergy Stage 4 Long Arm Review

I installed this kit back in November and was happy then but wanted to wheel with it a few times before I posted a review. The build thread contains everything that I installed - this review is strictly for the Poly LA kit.

I spoke with Dave (Pig) from Poly for an hour or so on a Sunday night. We talked about what I wanted to do with it and we added a few things to the kit including shafts, CA skids w/shock brackets and a few other things (everything is listed). I already had the PP steering dampener and relocation kit installed.

Build Sheet:
PPM-8044-45 Poly Performance Jeep JK Stage 4 Long Arm Suspension System, 4.5" Lift (4 Door)
PPM-8001 Poly Performance JK High Steer Drag Link Kit
PPM-8030 Poly Performance Jeep JK Rear Long Arm Frame Brackets (Pair)
PPM-8031 Poly Performance Jeep JK Front Long Arm Frame Brackets (Pair)
PPM-8033 Poly Performance Jeep JK Front High Clearance Long Arm Lower Control Arm (Pair)
PPM-8035 Poly Performance Jeep JK Front Long Arm Upper Control Arms (Pair)
PPM-8036 Poly Performance Jeep JK High Clearance Rear Long Arm Lower Control Arms (Pair)
PPM-8038 Poly Performance Jeep JK Rear Long Arm Upper Control Arms (Pair)
PPM-8055 Poly Performance Jeep JK Front Track Bar Bracket Kit
PPM-8056 Poly Performance Jeep JK Rear Track Bar Bracket Kit
PPM-8059 Poly Performance JK Front Sway Bar Links (Pair)
PPM-8060 Poly Performance JK Rear Sway Bar Links (Pair)
PPM-8063-45 Poly Performance JK Front Coil Spring 4.5" Lift For 4 Door
PPM-8064-45 Poly Performance JK Rear Coil Spring 4.5" Lift For 4 Door
PPM-8066 Poly Performance JK Brakeline Kit, Front/Rear PPM-8075 Poly Performance 4" Jeep JK Front Bump Stop Spacer (Pair)
PPM-8076 Poly Performance 4" Jeep JK Rear Bump Stop Spacer (Pair)
PPM-8078 Poly Performance Jeep JK Rear Lower Control Arm Skids w/ Integrated Shock Mounts
PPM-8073 Poly Performance Jeep JK Front Lower Shock Mount Bracket
PPM-8002 Poly Performance JK Heat Treated Tie Rod
PPM-8001-02-01 Poly Performance Tie Rod End Adapter
PPM-2005-1310-24 Poly Performance 07+ Jeep JK 1310 CV Drive Shaft, Front (2/4 Door)
PPM-2006-1310-04 Poly Performance 07+ Jeep JK 1310CV Rear 4 Door Driveline
FOX-980-02-382-B Fox 2" JK Front Shock 11.00" Travel W/CD Adjuster (Reservoir)
FOX-980-02-383-A Fox 2" JK Rear Shock 10.50" Travel W/CD Adjuster (Reservoir)

Everything was shipped out the next day and arrived at my door packaged very well.

At a glance I was impressed with the construction of the parts, the powder coating was nice and thick and everything was well protected for shipping - and this stuff is heavy.

Tear down took a while - this could be done in your driveway but I would not recommend it, its a lot of work with a lift - we used a plasma cutter to start off but there was still quite a bit of grinding to be done.

The difference in stock vs the Synergy setup is like night and day...

Before: (on 35" Cooper STTs w/springs and pucks)

After: (on 37" MTRs)

Bottom line on this kit is that if you follow the instructions it will fit just right. Every bolt hole lined up, the instructions were easy to follow and well written. It is an involved process and it took us several days - we could have completed it in two but had several other things to do while it was torn apart. I am not a welder but was able to do all the dirty work and helped out during the entire build, this saved me some money in the long run but better yet - I learned a great deal which is priceless IMO. If you can weld and have the facilities to get it done you will be several steps ahead.

I cannot say enough good things about the total experience from start to finish - from the patience that Dave had on the phone, the shipping (fast!) and the install. Everything gets a thumbs up.

Next up.... the trail review!

Last edited by Mr.RonGilbert; 05-26-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 05-09-2011, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

My first chance to wheel it was new years at Barnwell Mountain (BMRA) just outside of Gilmer, Texasd. This was a learning experience to say the least. I had not wheeled in almost two years due to a back injury... during which time I worked on my build list and gathered the components to build my rig just like I wanted it. This was the first test with the Synergy kit as well as the 37s and locked front/rear. I spent the first half day (I got there early) just doing some trail recon to get re-acquainted with the place and to map out the trails that I wanted to hit during the next three days of wheeling. I looked at several trails that were rated 4 and figured "no way" from the looks of them. By the end of the trip I had ran the toughest trails that the park had to offer. We looked at Dewoody from the top and bottom because I really wanted to try it. The trees up top have been chewed up pretty bad from the winch lines and I didn't want to do any more damage to them and really didn't trust any of them.

We ran Houston Creek, Shake Rattle and Roll, Saturday Night Live, Venom Loop, Weenie World and the tough trail on Scorpion Pass. All trails that I said "no way" to when looking at them on day one.

I was completely amazed at how well the rig performed - it crawled everything that I pointed it at.

We got after it for three days and there was very little picture taking.... I had a few snapped on Twister right before dark on the last day.

Everything held up perfectly!! I broke in the RROR skids as they had several gashes from the rocks. The Synergy CAs took some direct hits as well and held up just fine. After a weekend of hard wheeling nothing needed replaced, tweaked or tuned.

The next trip was to Hidden Falls Adventure Park in Marble Falls, Texas as part of the WFTW run during the weekend of May 7th. I had more confidence in what I could do but am still learning the capabilities of the new setup. I signed up for the "extreme" group and ran the toughest trails that the park had to offer and again - it crawled everything that I pointed it at. There were a few sheer walls that I didn't run after watching some buggies struggle but we tackled every tough one out there including No Name, Wildcat Stairway, Bronco Buster, Penthouse, Carnage Canyon, Wet and Wild and Baby Back to name a few. Zero issues and didn't even unspool the winch or strap.

Edited with a few pics:

Bottom line - the Synergy LA kit kicks ass. I still have quite a bit to learn about what I can and cannot do. I am sure that I will thoroughly enjoy the learning process, lord knows I have so far!

Hats off to the folks at Poly for producing a well thought out, functional long arm kit that performs very well on the street as well as the trail.

Last edited by Mr.RonGilbert; 05-10-2011 at 04:03 PM.
post #3 of 38 Old 05-09-2011, 06:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to JohnnyWalker

AWESOME review! Just confirmed what I was hoping/assuming about this kit. This is on my short list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
Did you just search for "gay" or "halo" and bump those threads?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 Old 05-09-2011, 06:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

Glad to hear and I'm doing the same as you since my neck surgery, though I was thinking the 4" lift would be too much on the center of gravity. I think all I have left to do is all the control arms, mounts and their skids, then the springs. Trying to figure out all this drive shaft crap that is stressing me out...

Glad all went well and I hope that your back did as well!!! I know how bad my neck hurts at the end of the day with a hard hat and walking down pipe racks!

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 38 Old 05-09-2011, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob4607 View Post
Glad to hear and I'm doing the same as you since my neck surgery, though I was thinking the 4" lift would be too much on the center of gravity. I think all I have left to do is all the control arms, mounts and their skids, then the springs. Trying to figure out all this drive shaft crap that is stressing me out...

Glad all went well and I hope that your back did as well!!! I know how bad my neck hurts at the end of the day with a hard hat and walking down pipe racks!
I wanted the least amount of lift to go with 37s. It is not a "true :4.5" - the rear springs are 2" springs and the front are 4.5" so it levels it out. If I want to go 40s+ I can add bigger springs and be good to go. No plans on going any bigger any time soon. IMO the 37s are just right. Poly can give you whatever lift you want.

Driveshafts should be easy.... what part are you stressed about?

My back hurts all the time but is waay better than it was... I will add some suspension seats which should help. They were next on the list but I think my steering is all but done..
post #6 of 38 Old 05-09-2011, 07:25 PM
Wheeler

It looks great Ron! Thanks for posting the review. You made a more substantial purchase, but it helps to justify the order I made today. I am getting the 3 inch stage 3 with the same shocks your running. I hope it goes as well for me.
post #7 of 38 Old 05-09-2011, 08:00 PM
Rock God

Garage

Great review. I've been very happy with my poly suspension. It might not be cheap but it is worth every penny when it all fits perfectly and works better then expected.
post #8 of 38 Old 05-09-2011, 10:32 PM
Rock God

Ron,

How's your day do day driving? I think we've both posted on LA set ups but wondering what your thoughts are short vs. long arms & Fox shocks.

Thanks,
Mike
post #9 of 38 Old 05-09-2011, 10:50 PM
Rock God

Garage

Nice review!

Chuck
2009 JK Unlimited X, mostly stock with a K&N filter.
post #10 of 38 Old 05-10-2011, 05:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Been running a 5.5 Poly stage 4 four a year now love it handles great on and off road. Install took me 4 days. A plasma cutter would have been nice, and a lift would have helped. Good luck with her Mr Ron.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Official sponsor of the Jersey
Crew

"Wasn't Me I was in Sweetwater"
post #11 of 38 Old 05-10-2011, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamar95x4 View Post
Ron,

How's your day do day driving? I think we've both posted on LA set ups but wondering what your thoughts are short vs. long arms & Fox shocks.

Thanks,
Mike
I have been fighting with my steering for a while it needs to be upgraded so the on road performance is less than stellar. Has nothing to do with the Synergy kit. Its not really that bad, it just bothers me because its not perfect.
post #12 of 38 Old 05-10-2011, 07:01 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

I have a rubicon and all the talk about blown x-fer cases has me worried, specially the ones that have caught on fire when it happens, getting a 2 year old out of a car seat with flames coming at your nuts is not high on my priority list, i've spent two months at the Blocker burn unit at UTMB so burning in a fire relly freaks me out now a days. Not pain that I would whish on many.

Anyway the different flange bolt ups, vs. straight bolt up, vs. double carian, vs. non double, i'm like WTH??? Why cant the OEM style joints be used and just replace the fat shaft with a skinnier one??? From what I've read the OEM joints are supposed to be really strong and lell likely to break since they are like the RCV's which is another thing that I can't afford.

The other thing that freaks me out over the drive shaft or x-fer case coming apart is I have seen the carnage that a DS can cause when it comes apart on race cars with out loops. I know many will say there is a huge difference, but 70 MPH will still do a ton of damage and could cause one hell of a lift if the front decides to dig in, then the fact it could come in and take out jr that is in the rear center seat.

I know that many will view my post as overly cautious or whatever but when it comes to the safety of my son there is no limit to what I will do to keep him safe. Nor do I want to return from an off road adventure to be stuck on the side of the road with broken parts as I don't have a big truck or trailer any more.

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

post #13 of 38 Old 05-10-2011, 01:25 PM
JKowners Vendor

Ron,

Great review!! I enjoyed reading every word of it! That build sheet is a long one! This helps us prove the fact that the Synergy kits just plan out work. It makes us feel even better about them being one of the top companies we are a dealer for. We have had other customers with the same feelings toward there kits. They are just plain awesome!!

Someone looking to do this same setup or any Synergy kit could really take advantage of our free shipping offer right now too.

-Jason

:

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #14 of 38 Old 05-10-2011, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dye4it View Post
It looks great Ron! Thanks for posting the review. You made a more substantial purchase, but it helps to justify the order I made today. I am getting the 3 inch stage 3 with the same shocks your running. I hope it goes as well for me.
I am sure you will be happy - if, for some reason, you are not then don't hesitate to give them a call and be specific about what it is and I guarantee you they will figure it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedly View Post
Great review. I've been very happy with my poly suspension. It might not be cheap but it is worth every penny when it all fits perfectly and works better then expected.
Agree 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamar95x4 View Post
Ron,

Thanks,
Mike
A answered part of your question, apologies for missing the rest. I don't think anyone "needs" a LA kit... not near as much of an issue on the JKs. The JK "short" arms are not really that short... I kinda figured why not and am happy with how it turned out. I like the Fox shocks.. I need to work on them a little bit but just have not had the time. They work very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bullitt View Post
Nice review!
Thanks, I hope that someone who is wondering about the kit finds it useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsub View Post
Been running a 5.5 Poly stage 4 four a year now love it handles great on and off road. Install took me 4 days. A plasma cutter would have been nice, and a lift would have helped. Good luck with her Mr Ron.
Thanks, no doubt it can be done without either - just makes life easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob4607 View Post
I have a rubicon and all the talk about blown x-fer cases has me worried, specially the ones that have caught on fire when it happens, getting a 2 year old out of a car seat with flames coming at your nuts is not high on my priority list, i've spent two months at the Blocker burn unit at UTMB so burning in a fire relly freaks me out now a days. Not pain that I would whish on many.

Anyway the different flange bolt ups, vs. straight bolt up, vs. double carian, vs. non double, i'm like WTH??? Why cant the OEM style joints be used and just replace the fat shaft with a skinnier one??? From what I've read the OEM joints are supposed to be really strong and lell likely to break since they are like the RCV's which is another thing that I can't afford.

The other thing that freaks me out over the drive shaft or x-fer case coming apart is I have seen the carnage that a DS can cause when it comes apart on race cars with out loops. I know many will say there is a huge difference, but 70 MPH will still do a ton of damage and could cause one hell of a lift if the front decides to dig in, then the fact it could come in and take out jr that is in the rear center seat.

I know that many will view my post as overly cautious or whatever but when it comes to the safety of my son there is no limit to what I will do to keep him safe. Nor do I want to return from an off road adventure to be stuck on the side of the road with broken parts as I don't have a big truck or trailer any more.
Understand 100% you gotta be confident in what you have - whatever it takes.
post #15 of 38 Old 05-10-2011, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrawlOff-Road.com View Post
Ron,

Great review!! I enjoyed reading every word of it! That build sheet is a long one! This helps us prove the fact that the Synergy kits just plan out work. It makes us feel even better about them being one of the top companies we are a dealer for. We have had other customers with the same feelings toward there kits. They are just plain awesome!!

Someone looking to do this same setup or any Synergy kit could really take advantage of our free shipping offer right now too.

-Jason
Thanks Jason, when I started looking into a full suspension replacement I really had no idea what the hell I was looking at or for. I was able to narrow my search by searching and reading on this forum. Even when I had it narrowed down the list of parts was a little intimidating because I didn't know what I needed vs what would be nice. I included the full list (itemized) so potential users can see everything that went into it.

And free shipping is sweet, that stuff is heavy.

**I added some pics to the trail review part... thanks to Dern for sharing the ones that the Mrs took on Sunday.
post #16 of 38 Old 05-10-2011, 06:57 PM
TrailDuty.com

Nice write-up and Jeep looks great
post #17 of 38 Old 05-10-2011, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
Nice write-up and Jeep looks great
Thanks Phil!!
post #18 of 38 Old 05-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RonGilbert View Post
I have been fighting with my steering for a while it needs to be upgraded so the on road performance is less than stellar. Has nothing to do with the Synergy kit. Its not really that bad, it just bothers me because its not perfect.

Looks good.

Whats up with the steering?

Click the sig for everything you need to build a JEEP... 805-706-0232
NEW PRODUCTS ADDED DAILY !!!

----> Click and download the new catalog!!!

post #19 of 38 Old 05-11-2011, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thean View Post
Looks good.

Whats up with the steering?

Its going out.... it doesn't like pushing the 37s and I need to go hydro assist and beef everything up.
post #20 of 38 Old 05-11-2011, 03:27 PM
JKowners Vendor

How is it setup now?

-Jason

:

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #21 of 38 Old 05-11-2011, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrawlOff-Road.com View Post
How is it setup now?

-Jason
Flipped with an upgraded stabo and thats it. The power steering is going out but has been for a while... seeping from where the sector shaft goes in... and the sector shaft is bent.
post #22 of 38 Old 05-11-2011, 05:22 PM
Rock God

Garage

Excellent Reveiw Ron........................Very glad to see you wheeling after a back injury! Synergy Kits friggin Rock! Are you running Alloy Front Shafts in the D30? What lockers did you choose and lastly do you like the Kevlar MTR's??

If you want a pair of PRP Suspension Recliners to protect that back, shoot me a an email.

[email protected]

Method Motorsports

Email:
post #23 of 38 Old 05-11-2011, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGET IT View Post
Excellent Reveiw Ron........................Very glad to see you wheeling after a back injury! Synergy Kits friggin Rock! Are you running Alloy Front Shafts in the D30? What lockers did you choose and lastly do you like the Kevlar MTR's??

If you want a pair of PRP Suspension Recliners to protect that back, shoot me a an email.

[email protected]
Thanks!

US Alloy front shafts w/ Superiors in the back ARB front and back and I absolutely LOVE the MTRs!!! They sling mud and chew on rocks. Last weekend I ran trails that had soupy mud on one section with rock ledges the next and never a hiccup. I spun the tires on a few climbs but generally was able to just crawl right up. They were a bit of a pain to balance but I believe that the bead locks contributed to the pain.

Seats were next but now I need to focus on the PSC setup.... I had the seats narrowed down to the PRPs and the Twisted Stitches. I will shoot you a note..

post #24 of 38 Old 05-12-2011, 04:23 AM
Rock God

Can we use poly long arm brackets without using thier long control arms.
What if people already have poly control arms and just want to upgrade the brackets?
post #25 of 38 Old 05-12-2011, 12:32 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK07 View Post
Can we use poly long arm brackets without using thier long control arms.
What if people already have poly control arms and just want to upgrade the brackets?
Shoot them an email!

Method Motorsports

Email:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode