Fox remote res. adjustable shocks?? Opinions please... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 05-08-2011, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Fox remote res. adjustable shocks?? Opinions please...

If you have tried the adjustable Fox remote res. shocks I would like to hear from you.

What did you think?
Did you stay with them?
How would you describe the type of use/abuse you subject them to?
If you were not happy with this shock, what other shock (brand and model) did you prefer and for what reason?

Thanks...

Last edited by dye4it; 05-08-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-08-2011, 06:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dye4it View Post
If you have tried the adjustable Fox remote res. shocks I would like to hear from you.

What did you think?
Like'em
Did you stay with them?
Yes
How would you describe the type of use/abuse you subject them to?
Rocks and mud when I can't avoid it.
What other shock (brand and model) did you prefer and for what reason?
Weird question.... but I chose the Fox's because they are what I preferred - I had the pro comp cheap-o's before. If I didn't get the Fox setup I would have gone with the new Rock Krawlers, Race Runner or King.

Thanks...
No sweat
In Red

post #3 of 12 Old 05-08-2011, 06:57 PM

I have the fox resv shocks. They are not the adjustable ones, but do have resv. I change the nitrogen from 75-250 depending on what I'm doing. Those with the TF speed bumps are the best,and cheapest, I can find with out doing evolution double throw down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-08-2011, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

@MrRonGibert I can see how the one question reads weird. I will edit... I meant... "If you were not happy with them what did you prefer and why?"
post #5 of 12 Old 05-08-2011, 07:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dye4it View Post
@MrRonGibert I can see how the one question reads weird. I will edit... I meant... "If you were not happy with them what did you prefer and why?"
No harm done

And someone besides me may be able to *feel* the difference in the adjustments - mine are basically stiff on any setting. They are currently on the "softest" setting and are still a bit stiff IMO.

Do some searching as well, there have been many discussions on shocks - including the FOX adj types - over the years.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-08-2011, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thank you for the replies...
I have done some searching and have found many very long threads on unrelated or under-focused topics, and some threads with information useful to my needs. However, it is difficult to apply peoples subjective opinions to my own situation without knowing something about their frame of reference. I started a new thread hoping to learn a little about expectations and types of usage along with impressions of how well they worked.

For instance:
If they are "harsh", how are you using it and compared to what?
If they are "better than stock", what were you looking for that "stock" didn't satisfy?
If they were "disappointing" or "awesome", I want to know why.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-09-2011, 12:03 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

I've had them on the back of my long arm coilover build for over 2 years. Just outstanding performance, I'm still impressed.

What did you think? Love them.
Did you stay with them? The work great and are rebuildable, why change.
How would you describe the type of use/abuse you subject them to? Lots of wheeling with no bumpstops - so I over compress them and still no seal leaks!
If you were not happy with this shock, what other shock (brand and model) did you prefer and for what reason? N/A

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TEXASKEV; 05-09-2011 at 12:05 AM.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-09-2011, 08:19 AM
TrailDuty.com

I had Fox CD adjustables and generally liked them. They got the location of the front reservoirs wrong initially which resulted in them getting messed up, but they fixed pretty quickly. I found the adjustments to be quite noticeable, but I've heard others say there isn't much difference.

I didn't stay with them as I went to coilovers.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-09-2011, 08:29 AM
JKowners Vendor

Fox makes great products. Look into getting a well tuned set of Remote Ressy units instead of the adjustable ones. All companies are doing with the adjusters is controlling the "bleed" of fluid in and out of the remote reservoir. They are not dynamically changing the valving. This method of adjustment actually heats up the fluid and you are much better off without it. You will also save money by going with the standard RR shocks from them. Great products and a great company.

RK
post #10 of 12 Old 05-09-2011, 09:40 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I agree with RK on this one. I am far from an expert so take it FWIW. I still think mine are a little stiff, even on the softest setting, and have emailed Fox about making them softer. I can send them in to be tweaked but its a bit of a PITA to remove all four and have the vehicle down while waiting to get it them back. If I had it to do over I would buy a set of RRs that were valved to fit what I wanted. I am more of a set it and forget it kinda dude. I am sure there are some folks make adjustments and hopefully they will provide some feedback. I am on the road and on the rocks.... that's about it.
post #11 of 12 Old 05-09-2011, 11:10 AM
Granite Guru

I've had the fox for a few years now. I run 'em at 3 on the road, and 7 on the trails. I find the different adjustments make a big difference. They can be a little harsh in the winter, but I've been a bit lazy and leave 'em at 3 even in the winter. I forget the exact bumpstop height I'm using, but it's less than 3". I took the coils out and cycled the suspension to size the smallest bumpstops I could (getting max articulation out of the shocks). I'm not using limiting straps. After 2 winters (I think) you can see the salt starting to get at the aluminum. I've had to use spray lube on two of the adjustment knobs. The fox are rebuildable, but of course while you rebuild them (or have someone do it), you'll need to put on a second set. ;-) The Kings weren't available yet when I got the Fox, or I might have gone for those.

js.

post #12 of 12 Old 05-09-2011, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thank you all for the responses. Your input is much appreciated. I placed an order for the adjustable version of the remote res. shocks. I will be using them with a Stage 3 Poly Performance 3" lift. I think i will be the type that will be changing the "tune" for the task at hand.

Last edited by dye4it; 05-09-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode