good/cheap mod for sticking hardtop knob - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 05-08-2011, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Lightbulb good/cheap mod for sticking hardtop knob

Got one of those flexible thin plastic cutting boards from the super market. Cut two circles out the size of my hard top panel screw knobs. Poked a hole in the middle of both with a utility knife. slid them down the post to the bottom.

Screwed in the knobs and now they slide/spin nice and smooth until they are tight. No more grinding or sticking and no more worn off white powder between the knob and the panel.

Here's the type of board I used:

Cost $3.00.

Sorry, no install pics.

I apologize in advance if someone already thought of and posted this mod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-08-2011, 08:22 PM
Rock God

felt or teflon washers from the hardware store work great as well......labour included...lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-08-2011, 09:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

What exactly does this mod do? I've not had any issues with the screw in things on the hardtop

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-09-2011, 05:24 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joneszj View Post
What exactly does this mod do? I've not had any issues with the screw in things on the hardtop
He basically created a high glide surface between the plastic of the sound bar and the plastic of the knob. I too have had difficulties from time to time loosening the knobs if they haven't been removed in awhile. Its the plastic on plastic friction and not in the threads, so I get what he is doing.

Duke......for a different approach to a minor annoyance. However, your pic now makes me want some stir-fry....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/

Last edited by Loki646; 05-09-2011 at 05:27 AM.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-09-2011, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki646 View Post
He basically created a high glide surface between the plastic of the sound bar and the plastic of the knob. I too have had difficulties from time to time loosening the knobs if they haven't been removed in awhile. Its the plastic on plastic friction and not in the threads, so I get what he is doing.

Duke......for a different approach to a minor annoyance. However, your pic now makes me want some stir-fry....
HAHAHA. Sorry about that Loki. That was the best pic I could find at the time.

And thank you for explaining my mod perfectly. Your description is spot on.

Not the coolest mod ever I know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode