detroit locker install - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 05-06-2011, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

detroit locker install

just bought a detroit noslip for the rear 44,do i need to purchase a carrier bearing kit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-06-2011, 04:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevo View Post
just bought a detroit noslip for the rear 44,do i need to purchase a carrier bearing kit?

I would get a master install kit unless your gear guys is really really really good. But its good insurance to replace everything anyway.

we are talking a full case detroit, right?
post #3 of 13 Old 05-06-2011, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdoc14 View Post
I would get a master install kit unless your gear guys is really really really good. But its good insurance to replace everything anyway.

we are talking a full case detroit, right?
yes its a full case autolocker,where do i get a good kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-06-2011, 05:32 PM
Slow and Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevo View Post
yes its a full case autolocker,where do i get a good kit
I bet Marcus at RCO could get you a Master Install Kit. If not, Phil at Trail Duty can probably hook you up.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-20-2011, 08:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Does anyone know the part number for a detroit locker for the rear NON-RUBI dana 44? I've been searching and searching and can't seem to find it. I'm trying to price this out and I see there are 2 different ones, from 3.73 and down and 3.92 and up. I've read you need the 3.73 and down even if you run lower gears (I run 5.13s). Not sure why, so if someone could chime in with an explanation that'd be great.

Also, if the dana 44 is 30 spline and I am looking at getting a lock-right or spartan (lunchbox style) locker, what carrier will I need to swap in? I've read all over different places and some say you need the 3.73 and lower carrier even if you run lower gears (Again, I run 5.13s). Is this true and if so, please help me to understand. Thanks.

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #6 of 13 Old 05-20-2011, 08:52 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joneszj View Post
Does anyone know the part number for a detroit locker for the rear NON-RUBI dana 44? I've been searching and searching and can't seem to find it. I'm trying to price this out and I see there are 2 different ones, from 3.73 and down and 3.92 and up. I've read you need the 3.73 and down even if you run lower gears (I run 5.13s). Not sure why, so if someone could chime in with an explanation that'd be great.

Also, if the dana 44 is 30 spline and I am looking at getting a lock-right or spartan (lunchbox style) locker, what carrier will I need to swap in? I've read all over different places and some say you need the 3.73 and lower carrier even if you run lower gears (Again, I run 5.13s). Is this true and if so, please help me to understand. Thanks.
Detroit for our non rubi d44 is part # 187SL16D
That's what I have in mine with 5.13s, and it works great.
Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Mike
USCG 04-Present
Just another JK on 35's
post #7 of 13 Old 05-20-2011, 08:53 PM
Granite Guru

On a Non-Rubi 44 you'll use a 187SL16D Detroit Locker with your 5.13 gears
Edit: Damn Mike, you're too fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGINIER View Post
Jeep's role in society is that they function outside of society.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MadHatter; 05-20-2011 at 08:55 PM.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-20-2011, 08:57 PM
JKO Addict!

it's pretty difficult to press the old carrier bearings off without damaging them...

your pinion depth should still be close enough to work, but you'll need the outer carrier shims as well because you'll probably need adjust and reset the backlash. and you should also replace the ring gear bolts since they're notorious for stretching and backing out when they're reused.

good luck

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #9 of 13 Old 05-20-2011, 09:00 PM
Granite Guru

Also might have to drill the carrier on the detroit depending what your ring gear bolt size is. Detroits come with 3/8" holes I believe. Factory ring gear size is 1/2", and, obviously not sure what your 5.13s have

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGINIER View Post
Jeep's role in society is that they function outside of society.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-20-2011, 09:18 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHatter View Post
Also might have to drill the carrier on the detroit depending what your ring gear bolt size is. Detroits come with 3/8" holes I believe. Factory ring gear size is 1/2", and, obviously not sure what your 5.13s have
Hey mad, yep I had too drill also...was kinda of freaked about it but it worked out. Great locker!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Mike
USCG 04-Present
Just another JK on 35's
post #11 of 13 Old 05-20-2011, 09:22 PM
JKO Addict!

i don't know what gears he has but my G2 gears were drilled and tapped for both size bolts

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #12 of 13 Old 05-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
i don't know what gears he has but my G2 gears were drilled and tapped for both size bolts
Usually they are drilled for 7/16" and 1/2". The locker is drilled for 3/8".

FWIW, unless something is damaged and needs replacing, you should NEVER have to change any pinion setup with a simple diff swap.
post #13 of 13 Old 05-21-2011, 08:29 PM
Granite Guru

Yup, you should never have to change pinion depth or anything to do with the pinion in a carrier swap. The need for a master install kit is way over kill. If a shop is doing it they should easily be able to re use the carrier bearings and should have some carrier shims laying around that they could use to set backlash.

Like us on

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode