seat replacement options - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig
seat replacement options

I've been thinking alot about replacing the front seats in my Jeep. While they're firm, they are not very supportive... and over the long haul, they are down right uncomfortable. we've made two trips to the NYC area and many other 4+ hour trips. Its uncomfortable for the wife, and i'm feeling it too....

while i've like the looks of the Mastercraft seats for a long time, the Corbeau Baja RS also appeals to me... but as i pick through the Quadratec catalog, I see the "new" XRS seat with memory foam built into a suspension seat. (hmmm) At $300 a piece, I'm thinking strongly of going with the Baja RS, but at a $600 cost, another $100 for the pair isnt that far off.

But heres my question.
The Smittybuilt XRC line of seats is similar in design as the Baja RS and the Mastercraft seat. is anyone running this in a JK? it looks identical to the mastercraft seat..... so is this just a contract seat by the same maker? even the upholstery is the same!

I'm looking for some experience based feedback here. Anyone that has installed the seats in a JK, any fitment issues... and most importantly, COMFORT. Corbeau lists seat sizing with a waist size reference in the "performance" seats. i'm wondering if there is anyone who has gotten "the smaller seat", going outside the waist size recommendation as well.

thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 03:42 AM
Rock God

Garage

I just looked them up on 4wheelparts.com, you can get 2 seats and a rear cover for $540. I paid substantially more than that for the Mastercraft set.

Usually one gets what you pay for and smittybuilt is not known for high-end items. The Mastercraft seats are ~$500 each for a standard color plus whatever options you want on top of that and are of race safety quality.

I would dare to say they are not the same maker....

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
.....a dark forum, were people would sometimes be rude but yet be helpful.
JK 2dr rubi

post #3 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 07:38 AM
JKowners Vendor

Take a look at the Mastercraft Baja's we just put in Black Diamond. Fit, finish, QUALITY, and comfort we have not found in seats that cost less.

https://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51265
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 07:43 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Can't speak for the Baja

style seats but.......................

I did a racing style replacement bucket (heated) which I love.

I used an aftermarket seat mounting bracket attached to the floor in the factory location.

The Project is moving forward.

Last edited by Muvovr; 05-30-2011 at 06:55 PM.
post #5 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 09:27 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Think of seats as a safety item. Do not buy seats based on looks alone. If the new seats are constructed more cheaply than the factory seats, you gained nothing and put yourself at risk. The smittybuilt and Corbeau recliners are not built as well as the factory seats; factory seats have better fasteners, and use steel where Corbeau and SB use plastic. The foam and bolsters of the SB and Corbeau seats have about half the life of your factory seats.

Do a search on Corbeau recliners on this site, pirate, and jeepforum and you will see how shitty and unsafe they are. Corbeau keeps claiming to have fixed the problem, but new seats seem to continue to have them. The non reclining Corbeaus seem to be fine.

Moral of the story, you get what you pay for with seats and its easy to get seats that are less safe than what you already have.

Look at Mastercraft, Twisted Stitch, and PRP.
post #6 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 09:37 AM
Slow and Low

Great thread! I've been thinking about replacing mine also, so this will be good info to have!
post #7 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 10:28 AM
Ipe
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by REBEL OFFROAD View Post
Take a look at the Mastercraft Baja's we just put in Black Diamond. Fit, finish, QUALITY, and comfort we have not found in seats that cost less.

https://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51265
Bond,

This build looks awesome! I do have a question though and it seems fitting for this thread:

Do the Mastercraft seats sit much lower than the stock seats? I've got the RH harness bars front and rear with the OEM seats. On my JK the front seat harnesses have to travel UP a bit to come over the front seat backs.

post #8 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 10:34 AM
JKowners Vendor

They don't sit lower, the back is in a different configuration though. The appearance is they are lower but your "butt comfy" factor isn't compromised at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipe View Post
Bond,

This build looks awesome! I do have a question though and it seems fitting for this thread:

Do the Mastercraft seats sit much lower than the stock seats? I've got the RH harness bars front and rear with the OEM seats. On my JK the front seat harnesses have to travel UP a bit to come over the front seat backs.

post #9 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Garage

Yip.. don't skimp on one of the biggest safety items in your junk..

Don't know if you looked into them but another option is Twisted Stitch..

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #10 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 11:10 AM
JKO Addict!

I just had some TwistedStitch's put into my HundyBlazer, you can't go wrong with the quality.

JKUS Sort of
post #11 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 11:10 AM
Rock God

Garage

is there a vendor on here to talk to about the twisted stitch seats? thats an option i was wanting to go, but when i went on their web site they only seats they show is for atvs and utv's. i emailed a guy who "sells" them 3 months ago and have never heard back from him. guess he didn't want my money.

2011 MANGO TANGO sahara jku....bone stock.
r.i.p.08 jk x steel blue

CALL MARCUS.. NUFF' SAID..
post #12 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 11:40 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_jacklyn View Post
is there a vendor on here to talk to about the twisted stitch seats? thats an option i was wanting to go, but when i went on their web site they only seats they show is for atvs and utv's. i emailed a guy who "sells" them 3 months ago and have never heard back from him. guess he didn't want my money.
I've sold/installed their seats. Loved them. They aren't listed on my site only because there are only so many hours in the day.

Give me a call when you can at 866-900-8841 and I'll get you set up.

Cheers,
Bond
post #13 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 11:47 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
I agree with most of this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
Think of seats as a safety item. Do not buy seats based on looks alone. If the new seats are constructed more cheaply than the factory seats, you gained nothing and put yourself at risk. The smittybuilt and Corbeau recliners are not built as well as the factory seats; factory seats have better fasteners, and use steel where Corbeau and SB use plastic. The foam and bolsters of the SB and Corbeau seats have about half the life of your factory seats.

Do a search on Corbeau recliners on this site, pirate, and jeepforum and you will see how shitty and unsafe they are. Corbeau keeps claiming to have fixed the problem, but new seats seem to continue to have them. The non reclining Corbeaus seem to be fine.

Moral of the story, you get what you pay for with seats and its easy to get seats that are less safe than what you already have.

Look at Mastercraft, Twisted Stitch, and PRP.

I agree......

I used the Corbeau CR1 which I love........ But you have to make sure you lock the seat the seat into position. I have a history with Corbeau and believe in their product. Just my opinion.

post #14 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 01:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muvovr View Post
I have a history with Corbeau
I have a history with Corbeau too:

YouTube - VID00797
post #15 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 01:59 PM
Granite Guru

[QUOTE=desert dog;768195]I have a history with Corbeau too:
QUOTE]

Are other makers adjustable seats of better umm safety? I don't mind getting fixed seats, but if I could get adjustable and be w/in 10% as safe of a fixed back seat then I'd prefer to do that.

2012 Rubicon Unlimited
post #16 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 02:02 PM
JKowners Vendor

[QUOTE=skeptic;768202]
Quote:
QUOTE]

Are other makers adjustable seats of better umm safety? I don't mind getting fixed seats, but if I could get adjustable and be w/in 10% as safe of a fixed back seat then I'd prefer to do that.
Mastercraft Baja RS has an adjustable option and are known for their safety.

http://www.rebeloffroad.com/category_s/225.htm
post #17 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 02:05 PM
Rock God

Garage

^^^^^^ check out mastercraft Baja RS seats. Pretty much top of the line in racing seats. IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
.....a dark forum, were people would sometimes be rude but yet be helpful.
JK 2dr rubi

post #18 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 02:07 PM
Rock God

Garage

"poly" sells TS seats and master craft.
I took a gander at what seats are being used in baja 1K trucks and figures if it's good enough for them it's going to keep my occupants comfy and safe around town too.

homebuilt JK - blood, sweat, lemonade. renamed LOOSE NUTS
post #19 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 02:15 PM
JKO Addict!

I heard good things about PRP and I remember seeing that Kevin of Method motorsports has some deals on them (https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34599)
post #20 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 04:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:

YouTube - VID00797
Yeah I can see in that situation how dangerous it could be.

I run a harness bar behind the seat so the recline is not an issue in my rig. As far as the forward motion created by the recline failure,,,,,,, again in my rig you have a five point harness....... NOT A FACTORY SEAT BELT !!! So your not moving anywhere !!!!!

post #21 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 05:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muvovr View Post
Yeah I can see in that situation how dangerous it could be. I run a harness bar behind the seat so the recline is not an issue in my rig. As far as the forward motion created by the recline failure,,,,,,, again in my rig you have a five point harness....... NOT A FACTORY SEAT BELT !!! So your not moving anywhere !!!!!
I run both 5 point harnesses and the factory seat belts, which is very easy to do and free. Harnesses suck balls for driving around town and messing around on easy trails, so I tuck the harness out of the way and use the factory belts. Its not flopping on the trail that scares me with the Corbeau recliners, its a collision at highway speeds. The cheap parts in their reclining mechanism is not confidence inspiring, especially when 2 seats break at the same time. I don't want to drive everywhere with my harness on because my seats might break. The factory seats are way beefier and crash tested. The Corbeaus do look very nice (better than the MC IMO), but I would not put them in my jeep if you gave them to me for free.

The Mastercraft Baja RS seats are a significant step up in quality and the price isn't too bad. Ive also been very impressed with the quality of TS and PRP.

Last edited by desert dog; 05-05-2011 at 05:22 PM.
post #22 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 05:28 PM
Rock God

Garage

I have corbeau cr1 seats, I just ordered mastercraft baja rs for the front and I'll move the corbeaus to the rear
The corbeaus are barely a year old and have broken down considerable also the rear seat back has some
Movement in it.
Mastercraft is way better quality, and a suspension seat as well

95 Hemi YJ on Treps with a ton of cool custom work

*gone*09rubi unlimited Rock Krawler 5.5 long arm w/rrd Coilovers 37 Falken wildpeak's Currie 60's
post #23 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 09:31 PM
Granite Guru

I put the mastercraft baja seats in my jeep and they are much more comfortable than stock and the recline mechanism feels hell for stout. The only issue I have with them is some minor contact with the factory center console that makes it stiff to slide them.
post #24 of 56 Old 05-06-2011, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchfan View Post
I put the mastercraft baja seats in my jeep and they are much more comfortable than stock and the recline mechanism feels hell for stout. The only issue I have with them is some minor contact with the factory center console that makes it stiff to slide them.
exactly what i was after. thank you!

forgot about the twisted stitch seats (website leaves alot to be desired...)... the PRP i just dont find appealing.

Looks are important. if i'm throwing down $700-$1000 on anything it should at least look the part as well as function, but that isnt the only consideration. that was the point of the thread, and you guys are hitting the points i was after. i recall someone posting a pic on facbook having Corbeau seats in their JK and another person made some negative comments... but i had no idea why.

recline is a necessity as is comfort... this Jeep does see some long road trips on occasion.

Hitmoney..
Two (three) questions.
thats the Vortex seat, right? regular, XL or XLR?
are you gonna be at Jeep Beach, and can i try em out?

guys, thanks for bringing the twisted stitch seats up... forgot all about em. gonna try and make some comparison to the Bajas.

----
another thought.
if any of you got a seat with adj lumbar support, was there any interference with either the center console or B-pillar depending on which side you got it? checked out Mastercraft's site. theirs uses a knob (mechanical) and you can have the knob on either side of the seat. Twisted Stitch shows inflatable, so that should not be any issue i suppose...

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane

Last edited by b1pig; 05-06-2011 at 12:34 AM.
post #25 of 56 Old 05-06-2011, 12:33 AM
Granite Guru

My vote is for the Baja RS seats

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode