please help - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 05-04-2011, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

please help

I recently put a lift kit on.my 07 wrang X and i took it to a 4x4 shop n got an alignment done and had my axels centered but not long after when i would hit a good bump i get a pretty hard vibration in thw front it last a few seconds then stops i was told that it could he my steering stabelizer is this true or is.it something else
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-04-2011, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Still running stock.wheels.and tires.lift only been of for.about a.month and jeep onpy has 44k miles
post #3 of 14 Old 05-04-2011, 08:44 AM
Granite Guru

what kind/how big of lift? Did you do it yourself? did you loosen the track bar bolts before you played with the springs? how does the vibe feel ..... like a shake, or like the wheels are wobbling?

There is no such thing as "one too many" ... and there is no such thing as a "finished jeep" project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-04-2011, 08:47 AM
JKO Addict!

Check your pinion angle, drive shaft could be makeing noise when your suspension is extended. Do you have adj arms?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Official sponsor of the Jersey
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew

"Wasn't Me I was in Sweetwater"
post #5 of 14 Old 05-04-2011, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Rusty's 3.25 liift and it feels like a def wobble and it can with front and rear adj track bars yes i did install then took it to shop they lined everything back.up n did my alignment
post #6 of 14 Old 05-04-2011, 09:07 AM
JKO Addict!

Take it back to the guy who did the alignment and take him for a ride and show him. Just dont drop it off. That shit dont work, they never can make it happen.

Crew

post #7 of 14 Old 05-04-2011, 09:08 AM
JPK
Rock God

First, to eliminate one common cause, check to be sure that the front track bar mounting bolts are tight and torqued to the proper ft/lbs. I don't recall the proper number, but it should be available in the FAQ's section.

Check the same re the tie rod while your at it.

You are searching for something loose or worn at the front end that allows for the wheels/tires to move.

The track bar mounting holes also can become worn and ovalled out.

With 44k miles you ought to check your ball joints. Lift one front wheel - chock the others - and try to move the tire. Slop = worn ball joints. Do theis check after the track bar bolts, mounting holes and the tie rod are checked or you may encounter slop caused by loose or ovalled mounts.

There are some other threads on the topic too, some with more detailed check lists.

{Edit to add: yea, take it back, but then oversee what the shop does. They couldn't get it right the first time so I wouldn't expect them to get it right the second or third..., so go back armed with the checklist and make them go through it.)

JPK
post #8 of 14 Old 05-04-2011, 09:14 AM
JKO Addict!

Still running stock driveshaft? Check to see if its hitting the crossover pipe.

Crew

post #9 of 14 Old 05-04-2011, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Yes still running stock driveshaft
post #10 of 14 Old 05-04-2011, 09:20 AM
JKO Addict!

Check your boots.

Crew

post #11 of 14 Old 05-15-2011, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

When I got under my jeep to tighten and check everything i found that the drivers side bolt has came out of the sway bar would this have caused the wobble on the drivers side? It only does it when i hit a bump hard on the drivers side not when i hit something square
post #12 of 14 Old 05-15-2011, 03:46 PM
JKO Addict!

bet there is not enough caster
post #13 of 14 Old 05-16-2011, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Bump......
post #14 of 14 Old 05-17-2011, 04:48 PM

I've been lurking for some time on here and really appreciate the tips I pick up by reading through this stuff. I've never posted anything and this may come across as nuts, but I had a similar issue with my 08 JKU Saharah. It took a little while to manifest itself did but it was right about the same mileage you are showing and, like you, I was still running stock wheels and tires and had installed a 2.5" BB. It started mild at first but then got very bad very fast. I double checked all my track bar bolts and so on... finally took it to the dealer and they replaced ball joints even though they were technically within tolerance. Still bad wobble on freeway bumps. They kept it for two days checking things and re-test driving. I finally get a call from service advisor, they found the problem, 'tires'. He can't explain why tires that appear perfectly good, albiet somewhat worn, would cause the problem. He says that they have a tech who just happened to have run into this before. They checked them for balance and rotated them several different ways still wobble. They borrowed new wheels and tires from an identical new vehicle and problem goes away with no other changes whatsoever. I went down and drove it and sure as heck problem solved. Much to the wifes chagrin this meant it was time for new tires and I'm really not the type to replace tires without upgrading and that meant new XD Addicts in 17x9 with 33's, to be upped to 35's when other upgrades can be afforded. No problems since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode