Diff synthetic oil change and gasket? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 05-02-2011, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Diff synthetic oil change and gasket?

I will be installing front diff cover/skid so I thought it would be a good idea to change gear oil in both front and rear. However, I saw on the forum people use 75w140 oil gear while manual calls for 75w90. So which one is better?

Second question, what do you use for the gasket when you change diff cover?
I climbed under my jeep today and noticed that both front and rear diffs are wet at the bottom (jeep only few months old), so I guess what ever gasket Chrysler used, doesn't work well. So what is better to use so the diff don't sip?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 05-02-2011, 12:37 AM
Granite Guru

On my '11, no gasket just silicone from factory. Thats how it went back together after my gear install. I've never used an actual gasket. Just make sure everything is super clean, and let it sit for a while before you add your gear oil to it.
I just put 75w90 back in it.
post #3 of 22 Old 05-02-2011, 12:45 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

75/ 140wt is just a little added insurance, especially for those that tow, wheel hard, etc. I use 75/ 140 too. IMO either would be fine.

Either use RTV or LubeLocker preformed gasket. Make sure the mating surfaces are smooth and free of any rust, old RTV, etc. Use a razor blade if necessary.

Finger-tighten the cover-bolts in a criss-cross pattern and finish with appropriate wrench/ ratchet. Some recommend about 30-35 lb ft to torque. Just don't over-tighten.

Check for any drips or leaks and torque down a little more if necessary.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 05-02-2011, 12:56 AM
Rock God

Garage

^^^^^ I agree. Invest in a gasket scrapper and some carb cleaner. I've always just used RTV as well. Carb cleaner is not just for carbs ya' know Buy the cheapest Wal-mart has to offer and always keep a few cans around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
.....a dark forum, were people would sometimes be rude but yet be helpful.
JK 2dr rubi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 Old 05-02-2011, 07:19 AM
JKO Addict!

I use 80/90 in front, 85-140 rear. Good to go. Use a good quality RTV as a sealer, get the surfaces cleaned well with a scotchbrite pad & brake cleaner, wiped down with a lint free cloth. 1/4" bead of RTV, carefully mate & torque the cover bolts in a criss cross pattern to 30ft lbs. Wait about half a day, overnight is better, for the RTV to cure. Then fill, 2.7 pts in front (1.35 qts), 4.7 pts rear (2.35 qts.). If you don't have aftermarket covers with an elevated fill plug you'll have to get the last bit of oil in through the breather port on the housing. Don't just fill 'til it runs out the hole, you'll be short some oil.
post #6 of 22 Old 05-02-2011, 08:16 AM
Granite Guru

I use lube lockers with my arb covers. They work awesome. Best thing is if u slam a rock hard with diff u wont lose seal like with regular rtv. I use 80-90 regular oil front and rear since I don't tow. I change 2-3 times a year. Is there any benefit to the heavier weight oil in rear if u don't tow?
post #7 of 22 Old 05-02-2011, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olean NY Jeeper View Post
I use lube lockers with my arb covers. They work awesome. Best thing is if u slam a rock hard with diff u wont lose seal like with regular rtv. I use 80-90 regular oil front and rear since I don't tow. I change 2-3 times a year. Is there any benefit to the heavier weight oil in rear if u don't tow?
Lube lockers, is that something you can purchase in Autozone or Kragen?
post #8 of 22 Old 05-02-2011, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayArea View Post
Lube lockers, is that something you can purchase in Autozone or Kragen?
Never seen them at any local AP stores. Plenty of vendors here, have them. Quadratec, Trail Duty. etc. No doubt that Marcus at RCO could hook you up with them too.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #9 of 22 Old 05-02-2011, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Never seen them at any local AP stores. Plenty of vendors here, have them. Quadratec, Trail Duty. etc. No doubt that Marcus at RCO could hook you up with them too.
Is this the staff you are talking about:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lube-...item1e60a4915e

So it is kind of like a gasket.
post #10 of 22 Old 05-02-2011, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Is this the staff you are talking about:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lube-...item1e60a4915e

So it is kind of like a gasket.
Yep. That's it. It IS a gasket. Works well and can be reused. I've used them on my JK and in the past on my TJ. No problems.

post #11 of 22 Old 05-02-2011, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Yep. That's it. It IS a gasket. Works well and can be reused. I've used them on my JK and in the past on my TJ. No problems.
Almost $40 for this thing on ebay, sounds bit too much is it not?
post #12 of 22 Old 05-02-2011, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Almost $40 for this thing on ebay, sounds bit too much is it not?
That should be for 2. If not.....that's pretty high. Quadratec has them for $21.99 ea. Marcus might be able to get them even cheaper. Shoot him a PM.

post #13 of 22 Old 05-02-2011, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
That should be for 2. If not.....that's pretty high. Quadratec has them for $21.99 ea. Marcus might be able to get them even cheaper. Shoot him a PM.
Sorry, who is Marcus?
post #14 of 22 Old 05-02-2011, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Sorry, who is Marcus?
He owns RiverCityOffroad.

www.rivercityoffroad.com

He has a great reputation here on JKO for delivering product quickly, and many times cheaper than what others can do. Not sure if he carries the LubeLockers, but I would guess that he does, or could get them for you regardless.

post #15 of 22 Old 05-02-2011, 11:25 AM
JKO Addict!

Quick info guys. the factory recomeneded weight is fine for stock or slightly moddified rigs. If you are running a deeper gear set with larger tires (5.13 with 37", etc) then go ahead and step up to the heavier oil. The deeper gear set gennerates a lot more heat especially with the larger tires and the rotated pinion angle reduces the amount of oil through the pinion bearings. The heavier oil has more of the critical additives and more heat resistance and will be bennificial. Synthetic vs Regular oil is your choice, if you tow or wheel hard synthetic may be for you, if not and you change oil regularly then standard oil should work fine.

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
post #16 of 22 Old 05-02-2011, 02:03 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

for those of us that live where its cold during the winter, is there any worry that running the heavier oil will have any detrimental effects during those months?

'08 no limit red rock rubi

MODS: Daystar dash panel - I've got a jeep, I'm invincible already....
post #17 of 22 Old 05-02-2011, 05:02 PM
Wheeler

I would recommend synthetic gear oil, especially for cold weather. I live in Michigan and used Amsoil 75w90 in the front and 75w140 in the rear. I also used the Lubelocker gaskets and have had no problems.
post #18 of 22 Old 05-02-2011, 06:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Use the heavier oil if you don't have to deal with prolonged cold. Factory recommendation of 80/90 front & rear. 75/140 rear recommended for towing. Bump that to 85/140 synthetic with meats & locker. Also, since the Jake has drain plugs on both pigs, change the fluid regularly.

Re: Lube Lockers, I had bad luck with them on my former rig w/Dynatrac 44/60 combination. Would not seal. Since the JK has the aforementioned drain plugs, just use RTV and be done with it.
post #19 of 22 Old 05-20-2011, 10:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Just some food for thought, probably been posted before:

I used Royal Purple in my difs for a couple years. I was having problems with my rear RJ60 getting REALLY hot, to the point that water would sizzle a bit if it hit the dif. I called Currie and they told me to switch to conventional gear lube and that they highly recommend AGAINST using synthetics because it does not transfer heat as well as conventional oil. I switch to Dino oil, and to my surprise, I can hold my hand on the rear dif for several seconds after a long drive. Since then, a tech for Eaton told me that they also recommend conventional gear oil over synthetic for the same reason. Then I was surprised to find that a very respected off-road shop here in Cali will not warranty his gear installs if synthetic is used, claiming that the failure rate with synthetic is many times that of conventional gear lube.

Not the gospel obviously, but just something to consider especially with testing done by Currie and Eaton.

I would be interested in Dynatrac's take on this.
post #20 of 22 Old 05-20-2011, 11:17 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
Just some food for thought, probably been posted before:

I used Royal Purple in my difs for a couple years. I was having problems with my rear RJ60 getting REALLY hot, to the point that water would sizzle a bit if it hit the dif. I called Currie and they told me to switch to conventional gear lube and that they highly recommend AGAINST using synthetics because it does not transfer heat as well as conventional oil. I switch to Dino oil, and to my surprise, I can hold my hand on the rear dif for several seconds after a long drive. Since then, a tech for Eaton told me that they also recommend conventional gear oil over synthetic for the same reason. Then I was surprised to find that a very respected off-road shop here in Cali will not warranty his gear installs if synthetic is used, claiming that the failure rate with synthetic is many times that of conventional gear lube.

Not the gospel obviously, but just something to consider especially with testing done by Currie and Eaton.

I would be interested in Dynatrac's take on this.

?????????? I've seriously re-read this thing like 8 times. I'm trying to come up with reasoning inline with what my education in synthetics. I'm having a hard time, but I am on my about 8th scotch. I'm not going into this now, wait till sober.
post #21 of 22 Old 05-21-2011, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Both of my diffs were sweating oil, and to my surprise local dealer changed diff seals and diff oil under warranty. I asked them if they replaced it with synthetic gear oil, to my surprise they told me that synthetic is the only kind they use.
post #22 of 22 Old 05-22-2011, 02:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Currie says that using Synthetic in their axles voids the warranty. Richmond gear recommends against using synthetic too.

It made no sense to me either, until I experienced the temp difference myself?

Weird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode