Adjusting parking brake on 08 Jk - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 05-01-2011, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Adjusting parking brake on 08 Jk

How do u adjust parking brake on jk. I cant see having to remove the center console to make this adjustment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-01-2011, 06:13 PM
jss
Rock God

Truck Hemi in a JK

WE adjust the parking brake at the rear drum, inside the rotor
post #3 of 10 Old 05-08-2011, 01:56 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jss View Post
WE adjust the parking brake at the rear drum, inside the rotor
As far as I am aware its the only way to adjust it. Have done mine a couple of times. Unfortunately, the caliper covers the oval shaped rubber plug that covers the adjuster. Its simply a toothed wheel sitting between ends of the brake pads with RH thread one side and LH thread the other. As you wind it one way it spreads the pads. I ended up removing the disc totally and hosing the dust and mud out of the brakes and drum, then adjusting til I could just get the drum back on. This will work fine unless your drum has worn as well and has a lip on the edge. Shouldnt have though, as there should be minimal wear on the drum.

Your worst enemy is dried mud. If you bury it in muddy water you will either need to blast them out with fresh water afterwoods (not to sure how yet) or strip them down and clean/adjust regularly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-08-2011, 09:56 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Renzo Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaComms View Post
As far as I am aware its the only way to adjust it. Have done mine a couple of times. Unfortunately, the caliper covers the oval shaped rubber plug that covers the adjuster. Its simply a toothed wheel sitting between ends of the brake pads with RH thread one side and LH thread the other. As you wind it one way it spreads the pads. I ended up removing the disc totally and hosing the dust and mud out of the brakes and drum, then adjusting til I could just get the drum back on. This will work fine unless your drum has worn as well and has a lip on the edge. Shouldnt have though, as there should be minimal wear on the drum.

Your worst enemy is dried mud. If you bury it in muddy water you will either need to blast them out with fresh water afterwoods (not to sure how yet) or strip them down and clean/adjust regularly.
would this be why my e-brake dont work at all? i would love to get this fixed!

Click on this and fight!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-09-2011, 02:47 PM
Wheeler

Yep... they require constant upkeep. IDK why Jeep did not incorporate the e-brake into the caliper with a jack screw. That would have made life so good for the JK e-brake.

JK-AJ

Rock Krawler, RK D/Link Flip, RK HD Tie Rod, RK RRD Shocks, Nemesis Shock Relocation, Artec Truss, 315 DuraTrac's, LoD Mid Front & LoD Stubby Rear, Warn HP PowerPlant, Superchip, G2 Diff Covers
post #6 of 10 Old 05-09-2011, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Garage

The e-brake is a HORRIBLE design on our JK's and as mentioned they need constant attention if you want a CLICK CLICK CLICK engaged e-brake.

I don't even use mine anymore, I just leave it in gear. I try to keep the POS e-brake in working order for when I might need it on the trail.

°lllll°

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #7 of 10 Old 05-09-2011, 03:11 PM
Banned

My ebrake's been so useless for so long that I've forgotten it's even there.

I turn my wheels into the curb so that if it does roll, it won't get far and just leave in gear if/when I park on an incline

post #8 of 10 Old 05-09-2011, 04:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac

Whats this "E-brake" that you all are speaking of?

ive adjusted mine using the star wheel, took the rear rotors off and cleaned and readjusted them... the fucking thing works for two or three times then back to nothing...

ive given up on it

post #9 of 10 Old 05-11-2011, 06:46 AM
Wheeler

Mine works fine. Worked perfectly when new for about 3 months til a full day through muddy water then about 3 weeks later it was useless. Cleaned it out and adjusted it and was perfect til 3 weeks after the next trip through muddy water.

Havent been able to get offroad now since Christmas due to work commitments and it hasnt changed since last adjusted (bout 5,000km).

What I was thinking of doing was fitting an attachment to the top of the backing plate to enable a hose to be attached to pump fresh water though it. After a days wheeling when washing the mud off simply attach the hose for a few minutes to flush out the sandy/muddy buildup and hopefully this will stop it deteriorating. I believe the problem is the dried mud acting like sandpaper and chewing the pads.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-10-2011, 04:10 AM
Wheeler

I know this is an old thread but does anyone know which way to turn the star screw on wich side?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode