Lockers - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 04-30-2011, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Lockers

Need opinion on Lockers to install on my 2008 JK Unlimited X. ARB or ECTED?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 05-01-2011, 01:13 AM
Granite Guru

TrueTrac / Detroit

If you trust that front 30 enough for a full locker:
Detroit / Detroit

Or if you want selectables:
ARB / ARB
post #3 of 25 Old 05-01-2011, 06:17 AM
Coonasian

Garage

If you do a forum search for "lockers" you will be able to read for days on other members experiences and preferences. This forum is packed with info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 05-01-2011, 07:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

Do NOT do ECTEDs front and rear- you get a locking effect. This is what I have now. It sucks- hard steering. It's due to the limited slip effect. Not as bad as having a locked axle, but damn near- Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
post #5 of 25 Old 05-01-2011, 07:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Because of your location and my experience I would recommend an Aussie locker in the front and an ARB for the rear. This would give you the ease of operation and great off-road trail master effectiveness. The Aussie doesn't do anything but click when you are in tight turns when you are not in 4wd. Put the transfer case in 4wd and you have a great locker that will allow turning but just climbs over everything. This is perfect for the Dana 30. The only thing I might not recommend the Aussie for is when you live up north and use your 4wd on the streets with snow. I have used mine in snow with care and it's fine, but the turning is more difficult in that situation. The ARB in the rear will give you the daily driving ease that most folks want with trail traction that is worth the money.

Just the Aussie in the front has allowed me to tackle trails with confidence. This is the second Aussie I have installed and used in Jeeps. The Aussie locker can be installed in the garage in 3 hours easily. No gear set or rebuild kits. Just oil and seal for the diff cover.

Last edited by 4x4x4; 05-01-2011 at 08:06 AM.
post #6 of 25 Old 05-01-2011, 08:35 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

First choice - ARB front and rear.

Or at a minimum ARB Rear and Aussie Front - will save some money and serve you quite well on the trail.

Stay away from Ected.
post #7 of 25 Old 05-01-2011, 09:56 AM
Wheeler

ARB front & rear
post #8 of 25 Old 05-01-2011, 10:02 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RonGilbert View Post
First choice - ARB front and rear.

Or at a minimum ARB Rear and Aussie Front - will save some money and serve you quite well on the trail.

Stay away from Ected.
I will probrably go with aussie front, and arb rear when I do mine! Had an aussie in the rear of my 94 yota pickup, and it was a little tough to drive in the snow especially with the light ass back end, For shits and giggles, I may even try aussies front and rear, first to see if it is managable. My only concern is my wife drives the jeep in shitty weather

07' Unlimited X
PSC Bumpers F/R
8k Warn winch
2.5" RK Max Travel
35" MTR's
5:13 yukons
Sleeved/Gusseted front
Dynomax pre-axle exhaust
post #9 of 25 Old 05-01-2011, 02:17 PM
V8 dreams

how far would the aussie up front and just the limited slip in the rear get ya? and it was mentioned it took about 3 hours, how about the novice (retarded) mechanic?
post #10 of 25 Old 05-01-2011, 03:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Stay away from the ECTED, worse design ever.

ARB, Elocker, Detroit all fine for the rear. Research these and choose one.

Same with the front, but you have the cheaper options of an Aussie or Lock right too.
post #11 of 25 Old 05-02-2011, 03:13 PM
JKO Addict!

I am not sure everyone is up to date. ECTED is a new design, just out for a month or two. Its internals are almost identical to ARB now just using a magnet instead of air to slide the teeth together. The older ECTEDs were crap, I agree. The new ones are pretty stout.

Your opinion is yours, just trying to clarify between new and old.

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
post #12 of 25 Old 05-02-2011, 04:37 PM
Wheeler

Thumbs up

I'm running a Detroit in the rear, and it's been great so far.
post #13 of 25 Old 05-03-2011, 08:31 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09rubicon View Post
I am not sure everyone is up to date. ECTED is a new design, just out for a month or two. Its internals are almost identical to ARB now just using a magnet instead of air to slide the teeth together. The older ECTEDs were crap, I agree. The new ones are pretty stout.

Your opinion is yours, just trying to clarify between new and old.
Not quite correct here.

The unit does not ever 'lock' as it is using additional pressure of the LSD clutch pack to 'lock'. With enough resistance the unit will slip. While this unit is better than the older model, it still uses clutches to 'lock'. When the clutches wear you can't lock. The unit cannot be rebuilt after you wear the clutches and the exchange warranty only extends 4 years.
post #14 of 25 Old 05-03-2011, 10:32 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynatrac View Post
Not quite correct here.

The unit does not ever 'lock' as it is using additional pressure of the LSD clutch pack to 'lock'. With enough resistance the unit will slip. While this unit is better than the older model, it still uses clutches to 'lock'. When the clutches wear you can't lock. The unit cannot be rebuilt after you wear the clutches and the exchange warranty only extends 4 years.
You are the professional, but the one I held a little more than two weeks ago clearly had engaging teeth, no clutches. Sadley I had to have my rear end rebuilt after a catastrophic failure and this was one of the options I was considering(we were able to save the factory locker, dont know why so many have problems, mine are damned near bulletproof). The newest model (sorry I dont have the part number) clearly had engaging teeth vs the older clutch/ramp bearing style.

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
post #15 of 25 Old 05-03-2011, 02:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
You are the professional, but the one I held a little more than two weeks ago clearly had engaging teeth, no clutches. Sadley I had to have my rear end rebuilt after a catastrophic failure and this was one of the options I was considering(we were able to save the factory locker, dont know why so many have problems, mine are damned near bulletproof). The newest model (sorry I dont have the part number) clearly had engaging teeth vs the older clutch/ramp bearing style.
You were probably confusing the spider gears for "engaging teeth". The new ECTED-max still uses the same old clutch-packs that slip with tires over 35" and wear pretty fast with off-road use.

The new "ECTED-max", is simply a re-branded Ected IMO. Here is a diagram from their website, looks like the same design as the old locker with just a magnet added:

http://www.auburngear.com/aftermarke...8-c6f9d7f93179
post #16 of 25 Old 05-03-2011, 02:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
You were probably confusing the spider gears for "engaging teeth". The new ECTED-max still uses the same old clutch-packs that slip with tires over 35" and wear pretty fast with off-road use.

The new "ECTED-max", is simply a re-branded Ected IMO. Here is a diagram from their website, looks like the same design as the old locker with just a magnet added:

http://www.auburngear.com/aftermarke...8-c6f9d7f93179
Great diagram, not the unit I was witnessing though. Replace the clutch pack with two oposing sets of machined teeth (not the spider gears, I know what they are) with a heavy spring in the middle. We were comparing it to the ARB as this was the first one my axle guy had gotten in (for another customer). We were leaning towards the ECTED because of the new design and the belief that we could make it work with the existing factory harness (no need for a compressor or plumbing, saving lots of $$$).

I will fully admit I am not 100% up on all the new designs of lockers and such, but I have done more than one set of gears and a few axle builds (hence I had more money than free time in this situation) and I definitley know when teeth are engaging vs a clutch/ramp style bearing.

Obviously there is something I may be mistaken on in this situation, but it was a new product for both of us. It was in an ECTED box (coming straight from manufacturer) and definitley had engaging teeth.

EDIT: I have to take this one at face value, but I was told this was a new product and had not been out but for a few weeks/months. I have no way to verify this statement or not (well actually I am to lazy to look it up, we were able to recover my stock locker).

Last edited by 09rubicon; 05-03-2011 at 02:17 PM.
post #17 of 25 Old 05-03-2011, 02:31 PM
Rock God

The new Ected 35 spline JK Rubicon replacement locker is indeed a 4 pinion design (all the diagrams available show a 2 pinion design) but it still has clutches.
post #18 of 25 Old 05-03-2011, 02:45 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Great diagram, not the unit I was witnessing though. Replace the clutch pack with two oposing sets of machined teeth (not the spider gears, I know what they are) with a heavy spring in the middle. We were comparing it to the ARB as this was the first one my axle guy had gotten in (for another customer). We were leaning towards the ECTED because of the new design and the belief that we could make it work with the existing factory harness (no need for a compressor or plumbing, saving lots of $$$).

I will fully admit I am not 100% up on all the new designs of lockers and such, but I have done more than one set of gears and a few axle builds (hence I had more money than free time in this situation) and I definitley know when teeth are engaging vs a clutch/ramp style bearing.

Obviously there is something I may be mistaken on in this situation, but it was a new product for both of us. It was in an ECTED box (coming straight from manufacturer) and definitley had engaging teeth.

EDIT: I have to take this one at face value, but I was told this was a new product and had not been out but for a few weeks/months. I have no way to verify this statement or not (well actually I am to lazy to look it up, we were able to recover my stock locker).
Sounds like you are describing a Lockrite locker. interlocking teeth with some springs between them.
They replace the spider gears on an existing open carrier and don't require any electric or air to operate. i.e. racheting locker.
post #19 of 25 Old 05-04-2011, 10:12 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynatrac View Post
Not quite correct here.

My apologies to Dynatrac and others. I have found out the locker that I saw was not what it seems to be. YES it was and ECTED....that the purchaser had sent out for some extreme and very pricey custom modifications. Dynatrac you are correct about the ECTED, the one I saw was not how they come from the factory. The purchaser of this unit had the clutches replaced with teeth at a very substatial cost. Not really sure why, but not my money. Again my apologies for being incorrect.

post #20 of 25 Old 05-04-2011, 12:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Don't sweat the small stuff. I learned a few things.

Sounds like the guy you talked to also knew that the design is..... something that can be improved. I will just leave it at that.

I have no complaints about my ARB setup.
post #21 of 25 Old 05-04-2011, 12:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have an Aussie up front and the facotry limited slip in the rear. I love the set up. I plan to add some sort of locker in the rear, but for now it has worked flawlessly for me. I wouldn't recommend trying to do the install of the Aussie yourself if you aren't mechanically inclined, especially if you have to swap out for a new carrier. I had to because my JK cam geared with 3.21s when stock. The Aussie needs a JK carrier for 3.73 and up.

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #22 of 25 Old 05-09-2011, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thx to everyone for posts. Need to read more about lockers for sure. Will be switching out my 373s for 513s and puting on 35s. Right now based on what I read I am going with with ARBs front and back.
post #23 of 25 Old 07-12-2011, 09:38 PM
Rock God

I have an aussie on the 3.21 carrier and its flawless, no problems at all. The aussie website doesn't even specify a certain carrier.

2008 Jeep JK Unlimited Rescue Green NSG370
RK 3.5 X Factor mid arm
37x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers
PSC BFH trail stinger
PSC narrow fenders

A lot more to come very soon!
post #24 of 25 Old 07-12-2011, 10:31 PM
Rock God

Arb Front and Rear. Only real life experience to go by is against a 2011 Rubicon with electronic lockers.

Cali Crew

My Youtube Channel:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 25 Old 07-13-2011, 02:25 AM
Granite Guru

Just got ARBs installed last week and wheeled it on Saturday. They performed great! Don't have experience with other lockers but from all the threads I read they seemed to be the top choice. I am very satirize with them

2008 X Unlimited-ORF Stinger, Smitty XRC rear bumper, XRC flares, SRC rails, Smitty 10K winch, 4.5 in. synergy lift, 1 in. body lift, Rancho 9000XL shocks, RK control arms, Procomp 8028 wheels with 37" Toyo MTs, front and rear JKS trackbars, JKS disconnects, front and rear Currie 60s with ARB and 5.38s, PSC Hydro assist, Tuffy rear security deck, Dominion Offroad onboard air
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode