OME Sport or 5160's - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-30-2011, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

OME Sport or 5160's

I am running with a 3" PPM coil lift on my JK unlimited, currently with Rancho shocks. I am looking to upgrade to some LT shocks. Which ones? I have nailed it down to 5160's or OME LT Sport. I am only running 32" tyres and will upgrade one day to 33's, so not not want a shock that requires huge bump stops.
Any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-30-2011, 06:44 PM
Wheeler

I highly recommend going with the Bilstein 5160's, personally I went from the OME LT's with OME 3" coils to the Bilstein 5150 255/70 valving and PPM 4" coils and the ride quality, handling and responsiveness improved substantially! It really was a massive improvement, through the rocks it felt better balanced and on fire roads I'm more comfortable carrying 30%+ more speed.

Now my comparisons is not like for like but a friend of mine who recently went the 5160's reported he was very haply with them and it was a noticable improvement, noting he had OME LT's at one stage also.

Cheers,
B

---------------------------------------
2011 4DR CRD conquering a gutter near you
post #3 of 7 Old 04-30-2011, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

5160's

So the 5150's are customisable or rebuidable are they. is there much difference between the 5150 and the 5160?
I instaleld a set of OME LT (the older Nitro Charger - on loan)yesterday to check for length mainly. if i were to go OME, i would get the new Sport, they have a completely different feel to the Nitrocharger, and if the marketing is correct - A Mono tube type ride with the added advantage of a twin tube?
Spinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
I highly recommend going with the Bilstein 5160's, personally I went from the OME LT's with OME 3" coils to the Bilstein 5150 255/70 valving and PPM 4" coils and the ride quality, handling and responsiveness improved substantially! It really was a massive improvement, through the rocks it felt better balanced and on fire roads I'm more comfortable carrying 30%+ more speed.

Now my comparisons is not like for like but a friend of mine who recently went the 5160's reported he was very haply with them and it was a noticable improvement, noting he had OME LT's at one stage also.

Cheers,
B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-30-2011, 08:13 PM
Wheeler

The 5150's are not customizable but there are 2 valving options typically available in the sizes your looking for - with that said i wouldn't consider them now the 5165's are available if ones looking for super long travel eg. 13" & 14" travel applications (ppl seriously don't bother unless running long arms and suitable DS's) . Noting to make the 5150's work I bought stem adapters to fit to the front and had bar pins fitted to the rears.

If you wanted customizable in bilsteins go the 7100 series but the compressed lengths aren't as good.

Personally if I was to replace my 5150's with a medium duty shock it would be with 5165's, I don't intend to though... Waiting for a supplier to come back to me on RRD coilovers to do it properly this time

---------------------------------------
2011 4DR CRD conquering a gutter near you
post #5 of 7 Old 05-02-2011, 08:13 AM
JKO Addict!

I run 5160s on my Rock Krawler long arm set up and I like them alot.

They are firm so you will feel all the small stuff. I wanted shocks that were like this because I drive (like an idiot) and didnt want to compromise on road handling.

They eat up the big stuff no problem.

The only complaint I have is the stupid hose clamps that they come with to mount the resvoir. For $200 a pop they should have came with the billet clamps but those are a $40 add on
post #6 of 7 Old 05-02-2011, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

5160's

I have seen the clamps advertised. I have similar experience with other monotube shocks. They work fine at speed, on the highway, dirt roads, fire trails etc, but in the towns and cities at slower speed are very firm and can be a bit bumpy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
I run 5160s on my Rock Krawler long arm set up and I like them alot.

They are firm so you will feel all the small stuff. I wanted shocks that were like this because I drive (like an idiot) and didnt want to compromise on road handling.

They eat up the big stuff no problem.

The only complaint I have is the stupid hose clamps that they come with to mount the resvoir. For $200 a pop they should have came with the billet clamps but those are a $40 add on
post #7 of 7 Old 05-02-2011, 03:01 PM
Rock God

Garage

Sorry for the hijack but any opinions on the Rock Krawler shocks. I love their stuff and I am thinking these shock are probably great.

Obama's EPA just shut down your favorite ORV trail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode