Any 6spd 2-doors with 4.10s and 37s? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 04-28-2011, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Any 6spd 2-doors with 4.10s and 37s?

How bad is it on the road? Is it basically a 5spd for you at highway speeds?

I'd like to go 37s when my 35" KM2s are too worn for my liking, I know I 'should' regear it, but if you can share some insight on what you think of yours, it'd be appreciated.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-28-2011, 12:58 PM
Wheeler

I have a four door with the stock 4.10 ratio and 37" KM2's, in an automatic. Its a dog on the highway but is livable after fixing the shift points via Hypertech.
Off road is fine but that's because its an automatic. (Yes, we have been through this manual vs automatic discussion before. And my wife can still wheel slower than you.)
post #3 of 15 Old 04-28-2011, 01:07 PM
Rock God

It will feel like a stock rig pulling a heavy trailer.

The future allocation of $1k or so to regear to 5.13s will be even more worth it.

Most 37s measure around 35.5" mounted. Use the calculator on Randy's Ring and Pinion to calculate your rpm levels in 5th gear at highway speeds. The 5th gear ratio is 1.0.

http://www.ringpinion.com/Calc_RPM.aspx

Truthfully, 2700 rpm in 5th gear at 70 mph isn't too bad.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Last edited by planman; 04-28-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 04-28-2011, 01:15 PM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
How bad is it on the road? Is it basically a 5spd for you at highway speeds?

I'd like to go 37s when my 35" KM2s are too worn for my liking, I know I 'should' regear it, but if you can share some insight on what you think of yours, it'd be appreciated.
Rockness Monster is going bias 39's with an Auto tranny and the stock 4.10's. I drove it a month or so ago, and I'll admit - it actually wasn't bad. It picked up and went without much problem at all.

And given that KM2's are so light and *supposedly* run small, I'd say that you'll have no problem with the 6-speed and 37's. You still also run your Flashpaq, right? That should also be helpful. Might toss on a SprintBooster to help too.
post #5 of 15 Old 04-28-2011, 02:45 PM
JKO Addict!

I've got a 2-dr 6-sp with the 4:10s and 'small' 37s. Let's just say this....

I see you live in Texas. You may be just fine. For me, in CO.....around town = livable but annoying. Highway = piggish. Wheeling = fine. Going up 6% grades at 10,000 ft to get to your favorite wheeling spots = almost unbearable and horribly embarrassing. Bumblebees pass you and laugh. So does every other wheeled vehicle sans the 18-wheelers, and sometimes even they give you a run for your money.

In other words, it depends entirely on how you use the Heep. But, prepare for a potential re-gear.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #6 of 15 Old 04-28-2011, 03:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

As you know i've been in the boat for a while. I'm regearing to 5.13

Info:

|
post #7 of 15 Old 04-28-2011, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Thanks for the replys guys, the automatics are in a whole different level as far as gearing goes compared to how a 6spd will "handle" the tires versus an auto. Gear splitting/ratios are a fairly drastic change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planman View Post

Truthfully, 2700 rpm in 5th gear at 70 mph isn't too bad.
Kinda my thoughts as far as the highway rpm goes. As for right now I'm just on the "low" end of the spectrum, and I kinda like the low rpm cruise. Around town is as flat as you get get where I'm at. The crawl ratio and the highway rpm would be the main reasons I'd look to get my gear back, as long as it's bearable for awhile. I have to get my wife to approve the funds after dropping $1800 on tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin4979 View Post

And given that KM2's are so light and *supposedly* run small, I'd say that you'll have no problem with the 6-speed and 37's. You still also run your Flashpaq, right? That should also be helpful. Might toss on a SprintBooster to help too.
Yes the tuner is on there as well, I'd be looking at Kevlars since they are a little more true to size. That is my biggest complaint with my 35" km2s (they weren't really close to 35s to begin with...but the same price!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Defector View Post
I've got a 2-dr 6-sp with the 4:10s and 'small' 37s. Let's just say this....

I see you live in Texas. You may be just fine. For me, in CO.....around town = livable but annoying. Highway = piggish. Wheeling = fine. Going up 6% grades at 10,000 ft to get to your favorite wheeling spots = almost unbearable and horribly embarrassing. Bumblebees pass you and laugh. So does every other wheeled vehicle sans the 18-wheelers, and sometimes even they give you a run for your money.

In other words, it depends entirely on how you use the Heep. But, prepare for a potential re-gear.
Thanks for the info, that helps a bunch. Altitude and your kinda mountains play a huge roll in how yours will run. I think I am all of 500' above sealevel here, the biggest "hills" are man made

As for right now with the 35s I buzz around pretty decent, my shifts are in the 1800-2000rpm range, running another couple hundred up would still be conservative.

Thanks ya'll, I'm really trying to get myself to buy 37s. I'm somewhat trying to avoid the snow-ball effect of them (more lift, driveshafts, immediate regear). But I also don't want to necessarily run a body lift, or be an inch off my bumpstops at all times to clear them off-road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarypie View Post
As you know i've been in the boat for a while. I'm regearing to 5.13

Thanks, however once again..San Fransisco is a whole different animal "around town"!

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #8 of 15 Old 04-28-2011, 03:16 PM
Rock God

Garage

I ran mine for about a week before I regeared to 5.13's. I was on 37x13.50
Toyos as well. It wasn't too awfully bad. I just had to be a little more aggressive with the skinny pedal than what I would normally do. Night and day difference in going to 5.13s, but I actually plan on going 5.38s soon, I'm going to run some 39.5 Iroks. They're actually lighter than my Toyos I have now. Overall, You'll be fine, just start saving to regear.

'07 2 door Rubicon Steel Blue & Black 2 Tone
PROUD to be an
post #9 of 15 Old 04-28-2011, 03:21 PM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

Quote:
I'd be looking at Kevlars since they are a little more true to size.
So what you're saying is that you don't plan on upgrading tires any time this year?
post #10 of 15 Old 04-28-2011, 03:27 PM
Rock God

Garage

Mike, you may send Mikey (9Lives) on TexasJK a pm. I'm not sure he's re-geared yet and he's running 38's. White 2 door w/a 6 speed.

Chuck
2009 JK Unlimited X, mostly stock with a K&N filter.
post #11 of 15 Old 04-28-2011, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin4979 View Post
So what you're saying is that you don't plan on upgrading tires any time this year?
Thats pretty accurate actually, I got a about a year left before my KM2s don't have any trail tread left in them.

I have to start telling my wife how much tires will be long in advance

post #12 of 15 Old 04-28-2011, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bullitt View Post
Mike, you may send Mikey (9Lives) on TexasJK a pm. I'm not sure he's re-geared yet and he's running 38's. White 2 door w/a 6 speed.
That the one he put Rubicon axles in? I don't fit in with the Texas JK group very well

post #13 of 15 Old 04-28-2011, 09:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
That the one he put Rubicon axles in? I don't fit in with the Texas JK group very well
lol.

I run 4.88 with automatic, Nitto 35s (measure 35.4") mounted, tire weight 81 lbs without rims and the jeep runs great. Run Central Exprssway daily at 70-75 at 2500 RPMS it does not shift in and out of OD. Anyway I know u have a 6 speed but just my .02
post #14 of 15 Old 04-28-2011, 10:37 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Goody I highly suggest selling those 35s while they still have some tread (value) left in them.

Marcus

post #15 of 15 Old 04-29-2011, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
Goody I highly suggest selling those 35s while they still have some tread (value) left in them.

Marcus

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode