Empty your bank account for Bushwacker flat fenders 6 21.43%
Dont be a wuss! Save a few $$ and cut your stockers 10 35.71%
You have weeny O-ring rim protectors! Get bigger tires first! 12 42.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 04-27-2011, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Flat fenders or no?

I'm on the fence here! I cant decide. I like the Bushwacker flat fenders. But for the $$ a trim would be way cheaper and if done right will look just as good. But then I wonder if it will create too much gap?? What to do?

2010 Surf Blue Unlimited

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-27-2011, 06:33 PM
Rock God

I think it looks good like it is. I've pondered the same decision to do mine with stock tires and no lift to make it look higher. I've seen it both ways and both look fine. Buy you a used set of flares off of ebay and trim them, if you don't like them, you can put yours back on.

And... i think cut looks as good as aftermarket ones. Plus they flex and return to shape better than rigid ones

Big B.

2011 4Dr Unlimited... Rubi springs & shocks, Rubi tires, JKS QD's, CoverKing Seat covers, Rugged Ridge trail doors, A.C.E. stubby bumper, A.C.E. Rock Rails, A.C.E. Hi-lift jack mounts, Superwinch LP8500.

1983 CJ7 LAREDO, AMC 360, 5" lift, 33's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CeeeJaySeven+JKU; 04-27-2011 at 06:35 PM.
post #3 of 14 Old 04-27-2011, 06:47 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeeJaySeven+JKU View Post
I think it looks good like it is.
^^ Agreed!
Maybe think about it if/when you put some bigger tires on but if they aren't rubbing, why bother.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 04-27-2011, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Tires are 34x12 with 3.5" of lift in the front wit an additional 1" spacer and 3" in the rear with a 1/2" spacer. As is fully flexed it doesn't rub. But disco'd I don't know if it will rub or not. I will find out in a couple weeks when we go to rausch creek.

Something about these tires is deceiving. My buddy has 35" KM2's and they look huge compared to mine but they are only .5" bigger measure mounted on the jeep.

2010 Surf Blue Unlimited

Last edited by b4tn; 04-27-2011 at 07:02 PM.
post #5 of 14 Old 04-27-2011, 07:01 PM
Rock God

I have a RK 2.5 lift, 35's and PSC flat fenders. I love the way it looks. IMHO, 35's don't look too small, although I have plenty of room for 37's. I am not a huge fan of the cut fender look, but I think it's because they look so thin.

Davesrb

Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel, + upper control arms:RRD remote reservoir shocks:Teraflex Speed Bumps:Poison Spyder bumpers, fenders, and rockers: Gen Right tire carrier: Rigid duallies, 20 and 50 bars, fogs: Trucklites: Off Road Hero's Top: Genesis Off Road dual battery kit:
post #6 of 14 Old 04-27-2011, 07:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Cut your stock fenders! Save the bucks for other mods. You will get the fenders later. Get the door edge trim and it will look great! I did mine for 37's.....still not there yet.

Last edited by 4x4x4; 04-27-2011 at 07:09 PM.
post #7 of 14 Old 04-27-2011, 07:10 PM
Granite Guru

Rugged ridge also offer's a cheap set of flat fenders. They even relocate the marker light. I am running them now and IMO they are a great option for anyone looking to save money. I believe I paid 236 for a set. I eventually want PSC w/ crusher corners but that is very low on my wish list.

2011 4DR Rubi
rugged ridge fenders
38" KM2's on Pro Comp wheels
5.38 gears, Frt and Rear Ten Factory Axle shafts
2.5 RK Max Travel w/ Bilsten 5160's & 1.25 in body lift
c gussets, G2 Diff covers, & Poly Ball Joints
Metal Cloak stinger frt bpr w/ warn winch
Road Armor Rr Bpr

Going on soon!!
PSC Rocker Knockers
line-x tub

2005 Power Wagon on 35's
35" KM2's, XD Rockstar wheels, Tiregate, 2" lift, Frt lightbar
post #8 of 14 Old 04-27-2011, 07:25 PM
Rock God

I have 35's on a 3.5" lift. They never rub on the flares at full flex. If I go to 37's, I'll get some trick flares. Other than that, it's just spending money.

Mike 2010 Rubicon 2DR | RK 3.5 X FACTOR MID ARM | ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
post #9 of 14 Old 04-27-2011, 08:37 PM
JKO Addict!

I cut mine...I like em..I like the copperhead cut though...Would have looked slightly better on mine that way ...I think.

But, I didn't have the coin to buy good flares...plus I wanted to wait till something really nice and light came out..

And PSC is releasing my new ones...ha ha haaa

Current project jeep 08' wrangler 2dr
Past jeep:
- 07' Rubicon 4 dr, RAMICON- 3.5" ROCK KRAWLER Coil-Over lift
- 5.38 gears- Gusseted/Trussed/inner sleeved
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

post #10 of 14 Old 04-28-2011, 09:44 AM
Rock God

You didnt mention it, but I can tell you from experience. After installing my TF 2.5, I was surprised to see only an 1" or so of up travel before hitting the bumps The bumpstock extensions that come w/the 2.5 are extremely long & limit your bump travel, to save the OE fenders. Ive had flatties before my TF 2.5 coil lift & after pulling some measurements, I went w/JKS .75 up front & fabbed 1"ers from aluminum for the rears & gained alot of bump travel. Do something w/the fenders, dump the BS extensions, gain flex & gain clearance in the tight stuff from the OE fenders brushing stuff. Just my 2 cents. Some before & after flex pics are on my profile. Copperhead's fenders do look good w/that cut.

Last edited by highwayman; 04-28-2011 at 10:02 AM.
post #11 of 14 Old 04-28-2011, 09:53 AM
JKO Addict!

I still have the stockers on there. I've looked at many of the after market flatties and they're either butt ugly looking, too heavy (steel) or both. Most cut jobs I've seen look like, well, cut jobs. Of the flats Bushwacker just seems to have the best overall setup, but the look is still goofy to me.

The most interesting ones are the Trail Mods convertible flares. They look much better in person than they do in photos. Teraflex had a painted to match body color set on their display vehicle at EJS and they looked killer. Problem would be what to do with them when they're removed?
post #12 of 14 Old 04-28-2011, 09:54 AM
JKO Addict!

Just my 2cents: Cut fenders look better with a stubby bumper, while the stock dog ears look fine with a full width bumper. Ofcourse do what you must if the tires are hitting the fenders. I agree with cutting the stock fenders before you upgrade unless your're looking to go back to stock later.
post #13 of 14 Old 04-28-2011, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
The most interesting ones are the Trail Mods convertible flares. They look much better in person than they do in photos. Teraflex had a painted to match body color set on their display vehicle at EJS and they looked killer. Problem would be what to do with them when they're removed?
I actually like the trailmods fenders a lot! But they are really expensive and I have heard horror stories of them blowing off at freway speeds.

2010 Surf Blue Unlimited

post #14 of 14 Old 04-28-2011, 12:08 PM
JKO Addict!

On the original posters JK, I'd leave the fenders. Cutting will make your tires look too small, immediately.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode