Bestop Trektop NX VS. Offroad Heros Whisper Top - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
View Poll Results: Bestop Trektop NX or Offroad Heros Whisper Top
Trektop NX 11 45.83%
ORH Whisper Top 13 54.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 04-24-2011, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Cool Bestop Trektop NX VS. Offroad Heros Whisper Top

I am going to be buying either one and want input.... dont know if there is a thread here about this because i searched and didnt find one... Pros and Cons please and also put an answer into the poll! Thank you!

This will be installed on a 2010 JKU Sport!

-Marc
2010 JKU -- 3.5" RE Lift -- EVO LCAs -- ARTEC Truss and TB mount -- 17" Procomp 7069 -- 37" Maxxis Treps -- Heated Trucklite Headlights -- Synergy Drag flip -- Synergy TR -- Synergy bj's-- EVO 1/4 Pounder -- EVO Tire Carrier -- 4 gal rotopax -- TF Third Row -- China AEV Snorkel

Coming up:
D60 Front 99-04 Ford ARB w/ 5.38
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42” MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-24-2011, 10:53 AM
JKO Addict!

The nx is not out yet , so nothing to compare
post #3 of 20 Old 04-24-2011, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yeah but is it worth waiting for it or should ORH just get my business??? I know that ORH just updated their design to not have the straps any more? Also i saw that you need to put a strip of velcro on the top of the rear hatch... Is this efficient?

-Marc
2010 JKU -- 3.5" RE Lift -- EVO LCAs -- ARTEC Truss and TB mount -- 17" Procomp 7069 -- 37" Maxxis Treps -- Heated Trucklite Headlights -- Synergy Drag flip -- Synergy TR -- Synergy bj's-- EVO 1/4 Pounder -- EVO Tire Carrier -- 4 gal rotopax -- TF Third Row -- China AEV Snorkel

Coming up:
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42” MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 04-24-2011, 11:19 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Between the 2 tops, both are great. The difference maker is the customer service which has clearly been gone over on this forum. Pick Bestop if you want the piece of mind of knowing that its a huge company with a history of quality products and you can reach someone by phone. Pick ORH if you don't mind spending more money on a similar top and support a "company" run by one man who is erratic and crazy and has horrible customer service. Good luck getting a hold of anyone at ORH/California Tops if you have an issue.

I own a first gen Trektop. And I love it.

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #5 of 20 Old 04-24-2011, 11:26 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joneszj View Post
Between the 2 tops, both are great. The difference maker is the customer service which has clearly been gone over on this forum. Pick Bestop if you want the piece of mind of knowing that its a huge company with a history of quality products and you can reach someone by phone. Pick ORH if you don't mind spending more money on a similar top and support a "company" run by one man who is erratic and crazy and has horrible customer service. Good luck getting a hold of anyone at ORH/California Tops if you have an issue.

I own a first gen Trektop. And I love it.
X2
I will even pay more for the same product if I know the company I get it from will have my back when things go wrong.
post #6 of 20 Old 04-24-2011, 01:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKUnlimitedSport_2010 View Post
Yeah but is it worth waiting for it or should ORH just get my business??? I know that ORH just updated their design to not have the straps any more? Also i saw that you need to put a strip of velcro on the top of the rear hatch... Is this efficient?
I understand what you saying , I preorder the bestop nx , if you can wait a little there will be a lot of reviews once it comes out , that might make a difference in your decision
post #7 of 20 Old 04-24-2011, 01:25 PM
JKO Addict!

Tim allegedly is making products to fill inventory and orders, so maybe he will be improving. Call him and find out if he has your top in stock and ready to ship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
post #8 of 20 Old 04-24-2011, 01:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I had one of the longest waits with ORH ...and I'd do it again. Haven't seen/experienced the new Bestop, but ORH tops IMHO are hands down better made products.

My Build Thread ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NE Trail Ride Thread ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #9 of 20 Old 04-24-2011, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

can i please see some pics of the new orh whisper top? the one without the straps? thank you!

-Marc

Coming up:
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42” MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #10 of 20 Old 04-25-2011, 05:51 AM
Wheeler

Wink Trektop

Where can I preorder the trektop and how long is it before they come out.
had just talked to ORH and he said that he was out of material but just got some in and would call me when the tops were ready and being shipped.
I would rather go with a company that I know would take care of me if things go wrong.
post #11 of 20 Old 04-25-2011, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

im thinking i am going to go with best top! when are we looking as far as an eta for these nx's to come out?

-Marc

Coming up:
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42” MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #12 of 20 Old 04-25-2011, 12:20 PM
Ipe
Rock God

I pre-ordered the Trektop NX.

Maybe, just maybe, the ORH product may be better, but if you can't get hold of the company when there are issues then its useless. For peace of mind alone I went with Bestop

post #13 of 20 Old 04-25-2011, 04:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjester View Post
Where can I preorder the trektop and how long is it before they come out.
had just talked to ORH and he said that he was out of material but just got some in and would call me when the tops were ready and being shipped.
I would rather go with a company that I know would take care of me if things go wrong.
I ordered on of the previous generation ORH tops great top but when it showed up ripped in the corner tim said he would send in new bikini portion. Its been a year a couple dozen phone calls and no joy. I took it to a canvas shop and had it repaired. I would rather deal with bestop an actual company than to hear tims manifesto again.

Read the ORH top thread and make your decision then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
This is one reason I have a strict policy of not eating anything out of another dudes butt. Flick it with my tongue? Sure. Run my tongue around the rim? Depends. Dart my tongue in for a brief second? Maybe. Eat something out of it? No fuckin' way!
If you want to know whats on it check my
post #14 of 20 Old 04-25-2011, 07:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
im thinking i am going to go with best top! when are we looking as far as an eta for these nx's to come out?
The last time I heard a date was the end of may and that was leaving bestop , so who knows , who is going to get the top first for the preorders
post #15 of 20 Old 04-25-2011, 07:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
No. Tim does listen to his clientele. He's a one man shop and he really does little else but engineer and reengineer his tops. FWIW, I don't believe the velcro has a long shelf life. If he does bring a tailgate solution to market, it will be kickass - just like everything else the guy makes.

Running his old school roll up combo top (combo = cargo + fastback) & loving it.

post #16 of 20 Old 04-26-2011, 05:22 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
If he does bring a tailgate solution to market, it will be kickass - just like everything else the guy makes.
That's what I'm waiting on. I emailed him today since I've been hearing whispers of a tailgate bar. I'm waiting on his email.
post #17 of 20 Old 10-25-2011, 06:05 PM

Fresh Intall ORH Softtop

I just installed my new ORH soft top on my Rubicon, and I have to say I'm impressed. This is the top that should have come from Mopar stock. It fits super tight, and wind noise is low.

The customer service was near instant and flawless with responses to my questions. I highly recommend buying this top from Tim. He has a great product.

If anyone has questions or wants pictures feel free to message me.

-kieran

2008 Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited (Black) Ordered custom in late 2007
about 55,000 miles and counting

Only two upgrades, Mopar rear steel bumper and ORH Fastback Soft-Top

Last edited by kcox920; 10-25-2011 at 06:15 PM.
post #18 of 20 Old 10-25-2011, 06:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Fresh Install Bestop Trektop NX soft top

Fresh Install Bestop Trektop NX soft top.
I just installed my new Bestop Trektop soft top on my 2 door JK.

I haven't had a soft top in several years and I have enjoyed the open feel of the "no side windows" and rear window.

No useful comment I can really make on noise..... I expected it to be way louder than my hard top and it is.....

My purchase from RCO was the best buying experience on the Web to date. Marcus took care of a minor issue fast...... Actually sent me a second top !!
Marcus you have earned my business.......

The Project is moving forward.
post #19 of 20 Old 10-25-2011, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

i ended up getting the trektop (first gen)..... it leaked, was noisy, held water.... was bad.... bestop replace it for the NX and i love it!!!!!!!

-Marc

Coming up:
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42” MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #20 of 20 Old 10-25-2011, 07:37 PM
Banned

Ok, since I now have experience with the whisper, two panel strapless top, I can say this:

WTF are you thinking, Tim??

The good:
New tailgate bar is awesome. It works well and makes the top look better. Total win there.
The new door surrounds make the top drum tight. Literally. You could sit in and play timpani with this thing.
The flatter look at the header bar was pretty cool too.

The Bad:
Two panel, FTL. This was a major factor in my decision to go another direction. I absolutely LOVE the fact that when my single panel is rolled forward, I can hop out, pull the straps off the footman loops and be under cover in less than a minute. With the multi panel construction, you need to roll it back, slide it onto a center rail, get the other panel and velcro that in place and then seat it in the center rail as well. By that point, you're soaked.
The new surrounds, though WAY more functional when installed and closed up, look like total shit when rolled up. Hated, and I do mean HATED the look whe it was rolled forward. It was lumpy and not anywhere near as elegant as the previous version.

Bottom line, although I really loved my old school ORH roller top, the newer two panel version for the 4door has some style & function issues that I just couldnt get past

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode