Wanting to get a lift and need some advice - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 04-21-2011, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Question Wanting to get a lift and need some advice

OK, so with all the mad money I have I'm thinking about getting a mild lift for the rubi when I get back home. I want something moderate because I dont plan on offroading it too much over the next year, but after that I want to move to colorado and get back into the mountains like I did so many years ago in nevada with my old shitty '92 YJ.

But I digress, I've been looking around and the max I want to go is a 3.5"-4" setup for my 2007 Rubi Unlimited, nothing tailored to offroading because I want to keep some street drivability and safety (1 kid for now, practicing on more when I get home ). I'll also be teaching the wife to drive my stick so I dont want it to be easier for her to lose control and yes I'll be in the jeep. She can barely even drive her little nissan versa let a lone a car twice that size.

The tires I have are factory with the rubi and the dealership I bought it from (a hyundai dealership of all places) put brand new tires on it so getting my toy wrapped in rubber isnt really an option for me.

So, what lifts do you guys recommend and what brands/setup should I look into and more importantly avoid (quality craftsmanship issues, crap support, etc etc etc). As far as pricing goes, I dont want to spend more that $1000 on it, I do have to move into a new home when I get back afterall but I have enough saved up to play with the jeep a little. I do have other projects planned but I still have parts left behind that I need to get installed.

Also, I do plan on buying those removable fenderflares in the future so should I scale the lift back to 2.5" - 3"?

And finally, the jeep being a rubicon, what do I need to think about in terms of a lift so I dont effect the swaybar disconnects, or is that even an issue?

Thanks for any advice/info and I'll see y'all back in the clean world in two months.

Also, I forgot to mention that I have 1.5" spacers for the stock wheels.

Last edited by Damnit; 04-21-2011 at 01:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-21-2011, 01:08 AM
Granite Guru

hey, for 1k you wont be able to lift the jeep right if you want to do a 3.5-4 inch kit. At that height you are looking at new driveshafts (eventually), at least lower control arms to up your caster to make your jeep drive better on the street. I like my Teraflex 2.5 coils with shocks, gave me 3 inches of lift and fits 35s great without having to buy all the extra stuff that comes with lifting a jeep high. What size tires are you running? Teraflex and Rockkrawler make good stuff, and have great customer service.

Mike
USCG 04-Present
Just another JK on 35's
post #3 of 21 Old 04-21-2011, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

LT255/75R17 32-inch tires, Like I said, they're factory but they're new and in great shape so I dont want to get new tires until they're worn out more. I figured a large lift kit would be a dream for $1000 but hey, it's always better to ask than wonder right?

How much did you spend on your kit?

EDIT: Also, here's what I found so far:

ORV 2.5 To 3.5 Inch Coil Spring Lift Kit w/ Shocks Part# ORV-1841550
Rough Country 3.25" Suspension Lift Kit w/ Performance Shocks Part # RC-694P
TeraFlex 2.5" Suspension Lift Kit, With 9550 Shocks Part # TF-1251000
Skyjacker 2.5" Standard Lift Kit SJ-JK250BKN

Last edited by Damnit; 04-21-2011 at 01:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 04-21-2011, 01:44 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damnit View Post
LT255/75R17 32-inch tires, Like I said, they're factory but they're new and in great shape so I dont want to get new tires until they're worn out more. I figured a large lift kit would be a dream for $1000 but hey, it's always better to ask than wonder right?

How much did you spend on your kit?
I hear ya, i spent about $700 for my TF lift but that was over 2 years ago, and I got the one that came with TF shocks. You have a rubi, so I would just do the shock extensions because those rubi shocks are pretty good so you will save some bones there. Also, the kit is pretty complete you really dont "need" anything else and you can add stuff to it later on. I would do a 2.5 TF BB lift with those 32s, otherwise it will look like a roller skate with any bigger lifts. BB's are pretty cost effective, and you could throw the extra $$ you have aside to other mods.

Mike
USCG 04-Present
Just another JK on 35's
post #5 of 21 Old 04-21-2011, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Sarcasm alert!

I wonder if I can redneck my old lift kit for a 2006 tj in there?

But seriously, I have one, brand new in box (not really but it's new, never installed and probably dusty) and never installed it on my old jeep. I think it's a teraflex too.
post #6 of 21 Old 04-21-2011, 02:44 AM
Granite Guru

Do it right and save your money and buy right the first time. You will want about $2000.00 - $2500.00 for the lift, and them you will need a front driveshaft when you go over 3" on the lift, so you don't get stranded in 2WD in the trails. Do a little more research and find the kit you really want, and can use longterm, then get some patience and you will be happier in the end.

35" KM2's - Poly Performance Fox Coilover system - TeraFlex Arms - PSC Ram - Rugged Ridge Modular Snorkel - COP 4X4 Nack Attack - Tatton Driveshaft - S-POD - 5.13 and 6 speed.
post #7 of 21 Old 04-21-2011, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Regardless, I still cant justify spending $2000 on a lift when I have other necessities in order (new home, wedding, honeymoon, a new baby to plan for). The lift is only a want, not a need. That's why I only want to spend no more than $1000. All I want is advice and testimonials on the range and types of kits that I specified.
post #8 of 21 Old 04-21-2011, 04:53 AM
Rock God

Dude, I installed the Rock Krawler 3.5" Mid Arm Flex for $950. It did not come with shocks, so I had to get those also. The kit did come with lower control arms tho. Talk to Rock Krawler, they have a 2.5" lift that does not come with lower control arms for around $450, that would give you wiggle room to purchase a good set of shocks like the Bilstein 5100's. If you are going to put on flat fenders, that will give you all the clearance you need

If you're gonna be fucking weird, own it.

~SoCo
______
post #9 of 21 Old 04-21-2011, 09:39 AM
JKowners Vendor

For that price we can set you up with a NICE kit from Synergy Suspension, Rock Krawler, or TeraFLex!! We can also set you up with some nice shocks that you will also need. I would also agree that you should look into the 2.5" range. It seems like it will fit you budget and tire choice much better than anything larger.

Let us know if we can help!

-Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #10 of 21 Old 04-21-2011, 10:19 AM
JKO Addict!

Based on what you described, the Rock Krawler 2.5" Stock Mod kit is more than enough for your needs and address all your concerns: http://www.rockkrawler.com/pages/cat...p?r_itemID=338

Get a set of Bilstein 5100 series shocks and you will still have a good chunk of change left over to take the Mrs. out to dinner to justify the lift.
post #11 of 21 Old 04-22-2011, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

So if I go with a lift kit that's 2.5" can I get an adapter for the shocks that come with the rubi so I can use those?
post #12 of 21 Old 04-22-2011, 07:55 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
So if I go with a lift kit that's 2.5" can I get an adapter for the shocks that come with the rubi so I can use those?
Rock Krawler has brackets for the rear shocks which move the lower mounting location up so I guess you can retain the rubi shocks in the rear but up front, I would def get a new set of shocks to take advantage of the lift.
post #13 of 21 Old 04-22-2011, 08:41 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
Rock Krawler has brackets for the rear shocks which move the lower mounting location up so I guess you can retain the rubi shocks in the rear but up front, I would def get a new set of shocks to take advantage of the lift.
What he said! But, with your budget for this, you could easily get a 2.5" lift and shocks AND still have money left over! So, I would really factor in new shocks with any lift you get. That way, you take full advantage of what the lift has to offer and you dont run the risk of messing up your Rubi shocks...

-Jason

:

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #14 of 21 Old 04-22-2011, 09:28 AM
...slightly sane.

just a thought, but if you are going to run the stock wheels/tires until they wear, adding a lift is going to give you a 'chicken leg' look.

you could save the cash for now and:

- stock stubby bumper conversion
- stock fender flare trim
- levelling kit

the levelling kit is basically an uneven budget boost to correct the factory rake. the bumper and fender mods will give you much better approach and clearance on the stock tires for the mild-moderate wheeling.

with those mod's you'll look lifted and have a more aggressive stance as well.

then stash the rest of the cash you have left in a savings or such and keep adding your new tire and other jeep funds to it until you are ready to go to bigger tires/wheels and by then you'll have wheeled and seen other rigs in action to better choose your mod direction.

post #15 of 21 Old 04-22-2011, 09:34 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skivviss View Post
just a thought, but if you are going to run the stock wheels/tires until they wear, adding a lift is going to give you a 'chicken leg' look.
I beg to differ. Here is my stock Rubi tires with Rock Krawler's 2.5" springs.

It actually looked pretty good with the lift and stock tires.

https://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42393

Last edited by ALASHA; 04-22-2011 at 09:43 AM.
post #16 of 21 Old 04-22-2011, 11:14 AM
Rock God

With the stock rubi tires on a RK 2.5" it looks ok as long as you have full flares. I run that setup but have chopped flares up front and she looks pretty anemic in the front.
Attached Images

2008 Detonator 2Dr. 6 Sp.
Olympic double tube sliders I Rugged Ridge front XHD I Smittybilt XRC 8 I Ef's pod I Chopped flares I Rock krawler 2.5" stock mod with Bilstein 5100s I 35" Dick Cepek Crushers

Jersey

Crew
post #17 of 21 Old 04-22-2011, 12:12 PM
JKO Addict!

ya i'm not a fan of the stock tires any anything over a levelling kit... even then i still don't think it looks right... i know alsha disagrees but i couldn't leave my jeep like that for 30k miles while i wore out the tires

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #18 of 21 Old 04-28-2011, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Well, thanks for all the advice guys but thanks to the wife giving me more grief about the lift than I thought possible, I decided to not get the lift. Not getting into the details but it's centered around kids, or more precise, the future kids.

So, with a heavy heart, my jeep will remain low to the ground, but at least I'll be ordering a bunch of other feel good shit.
post #19 of 21 Old 04-28-2011, 11:18 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepersheart View Post
With the stock rubi tires on a RK 2.5" it looks ok as long as you have full flares. I run that setup but have chopped flares up front and she looks pretty anemic in the front.
I'll be rocking that look on my four door for the next month or so, oh well.
post #20 of 21 Old 04-28-2011, 11:23 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Well, thanks for all the advice guys but thanks to the wife giving me more grief about the lift than I thought possible, I decided to not get the lift. Not getting into the details but it's centered around kids, or more precise, the future kids.

So, with a heavy heart, my jeep will remain low to the ground, but at least I'll be ordering a bunch of other feel good shit.

i think you should counter-offer . say "hey, how about i level off the front and run 33's." you could level it off now for 100 bucks ( http://www.quadratec.com/products/16315_6602.htm ) and when those tires ware out, go for 33's.

2009 2dr, surf blue
lift, 35's, and other stuff.

"Tigers love pepper. They hate cinnamon"
post #21 of 21 Old 04-28-2011, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

yeah, that's an option. I didnt think about that. But honestly, if I'm going to wait anyways I'd rather not spend extra money on something right now when down the road I'm going to most likely get a solid 3.5" setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode