Rock Krawler Lift Considerations - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 Old 04-19-2011, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Rock Krawler Lift Considerations

Ok, now it's time to get semi-serious as budget allows...

I'm very torn between the 2.5" Stock Mod or the 3.5" Entry Level kits. I like the entry level kit because it comes with the sway bar disconnects and just a wee bit more spring height.

I can't afford to jump off into a Long Arm or even a Mid Arm / Flex kit just yet, so I want to start with the basics first, and add the upper / lower control arms as budget allows.

I've driven a 4 door with the 2.5" Stock Mod / Billstein 5100 series shocks, and absolutely loved it. Right now, my jeep is riding on 4 door Rubi springs with pucks, and Rubi shocks. It does ok, but is very stiff. The difference was night and day on the RK kit.

So, for you gurus out there... I realize that the 3.5" may put me in trouble as far as my driveshafts down the road... these will be next on my short list of replacement parts, so for a while, it's not an issue.

Right now I am running 315x75x16's... but will eventually step up to a bit bigger tire down the road.

So, which kit? 3.5" Entry level and upgrade control arms? 2.5" stock mod, and buy the discos and rear sway bar extenders? I like the ride height that the rubi / pucks give me, but I would like it to ride a bit higher, and LEVEL.

What other components should I consider at this time?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers!

Darren

2010 JK Sport: 4.88:1 Yukon Gears, Spartan Lockers, A.C.E. Rock Rails, Gobi Stealth Rack, HELLA FF75 lights, 16x8 ION ALLOY 174 wheels, 315/75/16 Maxxis Bighorn MT's, Smitty XRC front bumper, Smitty XRC8 winch and cover, Smitty roller fairlead license plate holder, Alpine Sound System with JL Audio Sub, 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Bedlined front Grille

Last edited by JKDarren; 04-19-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 04-19-2011, 07:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

3.5 entry
front lower control arms
35's
Bilsteirn 5100's

ridin sweeet lookin good (better)...Your Jeep already looks good.

Last edited by 4x4x4; 04-19-2011 at 07:13 PM.
post #3 of 52 Old 04-19-2011, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4x4 View Post
3.5 entry
front lower control arms
35's
Bilsteirn 5100's

ridin sweeet lookin good
Got a picture of that bad boy there Brother? I'm pulling the trigger on this in a week or so... just being an informed consumer...

2010 JK Sport: 4.88:1 Yukon Gears, Spartan Lockers, A.C.E. Rock Rails, Gobi Stealth Rack, HELLA FF75 lights, 16x8 ION ALLOY 174 wheels, 315/75/16 Maxxis Bighorn MT's, Smitty XRC front bumper, Smitty XRC8 winch and cover, Smitty roller fairlead license plate holder, Alpine Sound System with JL Audio Sub, 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Bedlined front Grille
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 Old 04-19-2011, 10:49 PM
JKO Addict!

I've got the 3.5" coil over in front and full flex arms...w/ 3 link in rear..

If I were you, I'd go 2.5".

I like my set up, but I doubt you'll be trying to stuff 40's under that anytime soon..

The 2.5" kit will get ya 37's with some modifications down the road.

Current project jeep 08' wrangler 2dr
Past jeep:
- 07' Rubicon 4 dr, RAMICON- 3.5" ROCK KRAWLER Coil-Over lift
- 5.38 gears- Gusseted/Trussed/inner sleeved
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 52 Old 04-19-2011, 10:57 PM
Rock God

I have the 2.5 Max Travel with RRD's and love it. No rocks here, but it handles fantastic on the road and great on the trails, fast or slow. With flat fenders I'm running 35x12.5r18's with plenty of space for 37's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel, + upper control arms:RRD remote reservoir shocks:Teraflex Speed Bumps:Poison Spyder bumpers, fenders, and rockers: Gen Right tire carrier: Rigid duallies, 20 and 50 bars, fogs: Trucklites: Off Road Hero's Top: Genesis Off Road dual battery kit:
post #6 of 52 Old 04-19-2011, 11:17 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

When I first read this I thought it might be an older thread revived. Rock Krawler has updated their offerings to include the sway bar links on the stock mod so that you can keep the longer stock ones out back where they work fine and replace your front ones.

I have a two door that has been on 35s with a 2.5" BB, much like your setup, and I recently decided I'd buy something that rode nice, much like you. LOL!

I went with the 2.5" Max Travel so that I'd get the lower arms and brake lines and I'm putting 37s under my Jeep with no additional lift. I will be running flat flares, but that's only because of the larger tire.

The difference in price between the SM and MT is not small, so if you're being budget minded then start out with the 2.5" stock mod and Bilsteins and add to it from there. You can do it in stages and upgrade the control arms one step at a time.

The 3.5 Entry Level kit is no longer available, but if you were referring to the 3.5" Mid Arm flex kit you're comparing apples to apples between it and the 2.5" Max Flex. Ultimately the same setup with taller springs. I would still go 2.5" on the coils here.

If you have questions or want to chat you are welcome to call or PM me. I'd be more than happy to share my thoughts and hear your concerns! My contact info is in my signature.

Marcus

post #7 of 52 Old 04-19-2011, 11:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I went Stock Mod since I had a Rubicon, and have the lower control arms on order. That's what's so great about Rock Krawler, either way you go you can always upgrade down the road.

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
post #8 of 52 Old 04-19-2011, 11:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
4 door with the 2.5" Stock Mod / Billstein 5100 series shocks
I'm running this same setup over 33" Duratracs (275/70R18).
Added sway links f/r for a 3-5" kit, brakeline relo, spring clips & TF bumpstops in the rear, body lift spacers in the front as additional bumpstops but I don't think I need as much as I have. May be trimming them a little bit this summer .

Pretty happpy with it so far.

post #9 of 52 Old 04-19-2011, 11:28 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

You guys throw some pictures up so we can peep out'cho rides while we learninz!

Marcus

post #10 of 52 Old 04-19-2011, 11:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post

Marcus
Soon as my stuff arrives

Hurry up RK

Info:

|
post #11 of 52 Old 04-20-2011, 12:05 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:

Marcus
Same tired ass pics I've posted here. Still got to put on the front skid, extended sway bar links, and a few birthday presents then I should have some action shots

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
post #12 of 52 Old 04-20-2011, 05:28 AM
Granite Guru

I have the 3.5 x factor with Bilsteins. I know it is more than you are looking for now but here is a pic. I'm planning on making the front bumper a stubby and cutting the fenders to make them flat. I dont have any added bumpstop now and im gonna see what I need after the fender chop.
Attached Images

post #13 of 52 Old 04-20-2011, 06:39 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourplyn View Post
I've got the 3.5" coil over in front and full flex arms...w/ 3 link in rear..

If I were you, I'd go 2.5".

I like my set up, but I doubt you'll be trying to stuff 40's under that anytime soon..

I have the 3.5 Mid arm Pro and I would recommend the 2.5 Max Travel. If I had it to do over I would not go 3.5. Just my .02 I think the 2.5 gives you everything you need to easily cover up to 37's.
post #14 of 52 Old 04-20-2011, 10:00 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Seeing this

Makes me think I just may paint my diff covers white.

Info:

|
post #15 of 52 Old 04-20-2011, 10:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourplyn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
I think the 2.5 gives you everything you need to easily cover up to 37's.
Flat fenders still need to be installed to go wheeling but...

post #16 of 52 Old 04-20-2011, 10:29 AM
JKO Addict!

2.5 rk after 6 mo with heavy bumpers

Vs 4 door rub springs and 1" front spacers

The rk 2.5 gives a lot of lift on a 2 door. The lower pic has the soft top. No tire carrier, no winch and light bumpers.

31 jeeps in... still have issues

Last edited by 2k2wranglerx; 04-20-2011 at 10:34 AM.
post #17 of 52 Old 04-20-2011, 11:55 AM
Granite Guru

Couple quick shots from yesterday at URE - 2.5 SM - get the stackable bump stops / spring retainers - now that I have those - I can do this...

2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod Lift : Bilstein 5100's Front & Back : Rock Krawler Discos : 35X12.5X17 Goodyear MTR/K's : 2" Rock Krawler Stackable Bumpstops F/R : ProComp 7089's 17x9 4.75BS : Poison Spyder Evap Skid : Poison Spyder Brawler Lite : Spiderwebshade - Trailmesh : Recon 10,500lb Winch : Olympic Rock Sliders : Hella Black Magic Lights

post #18 of 52 Old 04-20-2011, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

OUTSTANDING INFORMATION everyone... exactly what I was looking for. 2.5 SM it is... with Bilstein 5100's... then I will update control arms and such later.

Flat fenders and stuff are also in the works... Thanks again!

Keep the information / pics coming. This spurs conversations and adds to the search-ability of this topic...

Cheers all!

I will add pics when I do this. It's gonna be VERY soon!

post #19 of 52 Old 04-20-2011, 05:41 PM
Rock God

Quote:

Marcus
Ok, but only 'cause you asked, NOT 'cause I'm a pic whore!

Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel, + upper control arms:RRD remote reservoir shocks:Teraflex Speed Bumps:Poison Spyder bumpers, fenders, and rockers: Gen Right tire carrier: Rigid duallies, 20 and 50 bars, fogs: Trucklites: Off Road Hero's Top: Genesis Off Road dual battery kit:
post #20 of 52 Old 04-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Rock God

I went with the 2.5 SM with the bilsteins and absolutely love it. Before the lift I was running stock X springs with 2.5" RE pucks and monotube shocks, I easily gained 2.75" over that on a two door. If you don't plan on going bigger then a 37" tire with flatties stick with the 2.5 to keep the center of gravity low. Sure it looks good having a jeep with more lift on it but if ya don't absolutely need the extra space you could limit the jeeps ability by making it too unstable up top. You will also not have to worry about the DS being a ticking time bomb with less lift. I would throw pix up but I don't have any after the install... Maybe dancindan can help me out there?

2008 Detonator 2Dr. 6 Sp.
Olympic double tube sliders I Rugged Ridge front XHD I Smittybilt XRC 8 I Ef's pod I Chopped flares I Rock krawler 2.5" stock mod with Bilstein 5100s I 35" Dick Cepek Crushers

Jersey

Crew
post #21 of 52 Old 04-20-2011, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

This is why I absolutely LOVE this forum...

Very intelligent conversation, topic related, with true experience.

The SM 2.5" is definitely how I am going. I've got my feelers out for a D44 for the front end... and will run flat fenders.

37's are as big as I want to go. I live in Florida... and I really, REALLY drive my Jeep. Heck, 36K on her in the first year alone!

However, since I have another ride now, the JK will get some much needed attention. I also use my roof rack. A LOT. So, LCG is important to me.

You all have some fine looking rigs. Giving me some ideas!!! I really, REALLY like that PSC Brawler bumper... drool!

post #22 of 52 Old 04-20-2011, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Lovin' this stuffage!!!

post #23 of 52 Old 04-20-2011, 08:56 PM
Wheeler

Awesome

This is all really good information. Thanks alot guys. This was really helpful.
post #24 of 52 Old 04-20-2011, 09:06 PM
JKO Addict!

i'm running teraflex bump stops. the 2.5 SM doesn't come with bump stops so you'll need to buy a set of bump stops from someone.

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #25 of 52 Old 04-20-2011, 09:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepersheart View Post
I went with the 2.5 SM with the bilsteins and absolutely love it. Before the lift I was running stock X springs with 2.5" RE pucks and monotube shocks, I easily gained 2.75" over that on a two door. If you don't plan on going bigger then a 37" tire with flatties stick with the 2.5 to keep the center of gravity low. Sure it looks good having a jeep with more lift on it but if ya don't absolutely need the extra space you could limit the jeeps ability by making it too unstable up top. You will also not have to worry about the DS being a ticking time bomb with less lift. I would throw pix up but I don't have any after the install... Maybe dancindan can help me out there?
Don't think I have any of yours afterward, though I did get a shot of your Jeep in deep Levitation...

Actually, my After pic below shows your Jeep post lift in the background there, JT.

My before & after shots:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode