After Teraflex 3" lift Issues - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-18-2011, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

After Teraflex 3" lift Issues

So I installed the 3" lift with 4 flex arms and coils, and it went ok, but I have some issues.

The first is that the front axle had to be ratchet strapped over towards the driver side to get the track bar back in the holes, so the front end is now 1" to far to the driver side.

The other issue is the rear springs are really bowed. I set the rear adjustable arms 1/8" longer than stock to get the pinion facing up. Its at 10 degrees with the angle finder on the bottom of the diff housing.

So, I guess I need to buy an adjustable track bar now to fix the problem the lift created? Or are there some brackets out there to fix this?
And the bow in the springs? I can shorten the upper CA's to tilt the axle down, but I'm worried about the angle that puts on the driveshaft.

Thanks in adavnce!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-18-2011, 05:53 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmikedentx View Post
So I installed the 3" lift with 4 flex arms and coils, and it went ok, but I have some issues.

The first is that the front axle had to be ratchet strapped over towards the driver side to get the track bar back in the holes, so the front end is now 1" to far to the driver side.

The other issue is the rear springs are really bowed. I set the rear adjustable arms 1/8" longer than stock to get the pinion facing up. Its at 10 degrees with the angle finder on the bottom of the diff housing.

So, I guess I need to buy an adjustable track bar now to fix the problem the lift created? Or are there some brackets out there to fix this?
And the bow in the springs? I can shorten the upper CA's to tilt the axle down, but I'm worried about the angle that puts on the driveshaft.

Thanks in adavnce!
Yeah....Adj the track bar!

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #3 of 11 Old 04-18-2011, 05:55 PM
Granite Guru

for your front axle go with a adjustable track bar(JKS 0 to 6 in of lift is very hi quality for the price)and if you do not have it get one for the rear too,if you measure carefully with the teraflex drop bracket your rear axle is not centered,plus most likely at full compression your shock is gonna hit the drop bracket.
about your pinion angle,get yourself a pair of correction wedges from POLY,they go on the perches and the springs,now to keep the springs from moving on the wedges lock them with the teraflex spring retainer and you shuold be fine with your bowing issue.
remember your pinion angle should be parallel to your drive shaft(if using CV style driveshafts) if you are using your stock shafts your angle suold be tha same as the output flange on your T-CASE,but if you want your stocker shaft to last little longer you can alleviate the angle at the pinion few degrees.
hope this help if you have any question let me know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-18-2011, 07:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Teraflex's "Monter" track bars are outstanding, highly recommend them. I initially installed TF's 4" kit using 3" springs. They supplied a Monster front track bar with the kit and I was able to center the axle dead on the money. I later installed Poly's axle side track bar bracket and drag link flip to eliminate bump steer. Tera's frame side drop & drag link flip work well, too, but you can't use their control arm length specs with it. In the rear if you've used the TF track bar brace with the stock track bar, try using the lowest hole. That will center the axle and match the angle of the front bar & drag link. Also, in the rear unless you correct the spring bow with wedges or new perches the right rear spring will hit the track bar. A TF rear bar will eliminate the contact, but the wedges are worth the trouble.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-18-2011, 07:29 PM
JKO Addict!

I can't help you with the front axle being off center... Unless you have an adjustable track bar... Then just adjust it.

However, you don't need to use a ratchet strap to get the track bar bolt in the hole Just put the bolt in the frame side, then have a friend turn the steering wheel and the body will move left or right. Just have them turn the steering wheel till the hole lines up and you can put the bolt in.

Good luck with everything.

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #6 of 11 Old 04-18-2011, 07:29 PM
Rock God

Garage

Did you buy a complete kit?
post #7 of 11 Old 04-18-2011, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Yes, I bought the complete kit with 4 flex arms. Turing the wheel helped, but not enough for the track bar bolts to line up.

I extended the lower front arms to the length on teraflex's website and that was a joke. The front diff was facing down. I have since shortened the arms to get that castor at 7 degrees.

It upsets me that after dropping 1600 on a kit, I still have to spend more money to align the thing.

To clarify (yellow rubicon) I can drop the front of the rear pinion down to match the output on the T-case if I am using the stock driveshaft? From what I've read, which might be wrong, I want the driveshaft and the pinion to be at the same angle. If I can drop it down, the spring situation would be better.

Last edited by xmikedentx; 04-18-2011 at 07:49 PM.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-18-2011, 07:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Wow, turning the wheel with the tires on the ground should move that thing 4 or 5"! I don't know wtf is going on with that rig but something isn't right.

For the rear I'd rather have 0 degrees on the rear joint of the ds and bowed springs than the other way around... But that's just me...

post #9 of 11 Old 04-18-2011, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

You know what, I forgot to put the tires on the ground for the TB trick. Stupid me.

Will the wedges work with the teraflex washer spring retainer? Looks like it will, but any proof?

Also looking at the rugged ridge front tb, 80 bucks cheaper then the jks.. Either that one or the poly TB, since I have to get the wedges anyways....
post #10 of 11 Old 04-18-2011, 08:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmikedentx View Post
You know what, I forgot to put the tires on the ground for the TB trick. Stupid me.

Will the wedges work with the teraflex washer spring retainer? Looks like it will, but any proof?

Also looking at the rugged ridge front tb, 80 bucks cheaper then the jks.. Either that one or the poly TB, since I have to get the wedges anyways....
They work with the currie... Don't know about the tf... I'd assume so hough.

post #11 of 11 Old 04-19-2011, 07:44 AM
JKowners Vendor

If you wanting to keep everything TF than I would recomend the Monster Trackbar from them! It is, well, a MONTSER!

If your looking to get everything all at once, look at Poly. They have the trackbar and any mount that you could imagine!

-Jason

:

Phone: 864-437-8029
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode