Ok help with lift and tires - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 10-25-2007, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Ok help with lift and tires

Ok I have been reading for a week now and see just about everything. My jeep will be a 08 2 door JK rubicon.I want a lift but not sure what one to get now. I will drive it to work every day so i don`t want a bad ride. I would like to go with at least 35`s. I know the 2.5 BB will let you run 35`s but is this the best way to go?You have to understand i am comming from a 2005 dodge ram 2500 with 6 inch lift and 37`s show truck.So money is not the problem I just want the best ride I can get.Any help would be great.
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-26-2007, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Anybody?
post #3 of 4 Old 10-26-2007, 11:57 AM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

The issue with this question is that most of us, only know the lift we are running. So the answer would be the one we run. The other issue is that after spending 2k or so on a lift no one is going to want to admit they got burned so they as a general human nature standard won't say the one they bought sucks.

I have been wheeling for over 3 decades. I have had many lifted vehicles. As a "general rule" once you modify a vehicle for a specific purpose you loose some of the use in another area. The more specific you go the more you loose elsewhere. The extremes for this is a rock crawler would generally make for a horrible high speed desert racer. A mud truck would probably be a horrible rock crawler. And almost all of the above sacrifice streetability.

Having said that, I really am impressed with my Nth lift. I have never had a lift "kit" improve the on road handling as much as Jim accomplished with some modification to the factory geometry. This to me is a true testiment to Jim's engineering skills and his ability to actually improve the ride.

The problem with the whole Nth kit thing is that they have been bought up by AEV and we don't know when they will release the JK lift kits and if it will remain as much of a Jim Frens design.

However my kit was a prototype with the goal of taking it out and beating the poop out of it and to try to break things or have parts fail. I accomplished this mission but now since Nth no longer exists have some very trail tested parts that need replacing. I can no longer go to Nth for the parts so I also have been shopping around.

I settled on Poly Performance for my source for replacement parts and will be running their products in my ultimately mostly Poly Performance hybrid lift kit. My reasoning was that of appearance of durability and usability. I will use my JK and sometimes hard. I want stuff that is truly "Trail Tested" and isn't going to break or complain about the trails I have chosen.

This isn't to rule out other companies. I also considered Rock Krawler and in talking with them they have some interesting plans coming up an a fairly radical departure from what currently exists for JK lifts. I also considered Rancho and Rubicon Express and TeraFlex.

I am only familiar with one other name brand of lift kit that isn't mentioned above. And my decision to not even consider them was based more on a personal level than an engineering one.

This isn't the complete list of what is out there and this doesn't indicate that those not mentioned (save one) is a lift I would not consider. I just don't have any experience with them.

I would say that when purchasing a kit, I would put less value in what people say about their kit, as much as how much they don't say and primarily on those that have had to deal with the customer service side of a companies business. If a company dos not stand behind their product, I wouldn't even bother with them.

When considering a lift kit also put into your calculations that the lift you chose will be the one you are putting yourself and your families and friends lives on. What you are changing out and hopefully upgrading is the suspension which is the heart and soul of the performance and handling of your vehicle. How safe you will be on the road is determined by your vehicles performance and handling abilities. I would say that my experience with my Nth lift has demonstrated that proper engineering can do wonders to the performance and handling of a vehicle. I'd put my money on the engineering over someone that doesn't have engineers and has simply put on taller springs and longer shocks.

I hope this helps or at least gives you some criteria to consider when considering the lifts available for the JK's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-26-2007, 01:06 PM
TrailDuty.com

If money isn't an issue, then I'd definitely look at the Poly 4" kit, ideally Stage III, but the other two would be great also.

35's are fine with a 4" kit, but so are 37's. Just beacuse you can run 37's with a 4" kit doesn't mean you have to.

If you don't want to go that high I'd look at one of the complete 3" kits. I know some people have had issues with their customer service, but Duke's got a Full Traction 3" kit and it is a very nicely put together kit. The Black Diamond 3" with RockRunner arms would be another good choice.

I can tell you from experience, that doing it right the first time is a whole lot less expensive than learning as you go along, which is what makes the Poly kits stand out for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode