Extra weight of winch/bumper - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 10-25-2007, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Question Extra weight of winch/bumper

This is my first post to the forum so please bare with me. I hope to soon be the owner of a 08 Saraha four dour. I need information on some additions I plan to do, one being a winch bumper and winch. I do not plan to put a lift kit on this Jeep in the forseeable future. What is the best and correct way to compensate for the added weight of the bumper/winch and get the front end level with the rear? This will be a daily driver and reliability is very important. Thanks to anyone that can help. From what I have read already, the forum will be a great source of information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-25-2007, 04:29 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to RedRockJK Send a message via Yahoo to RedRockJK

If you want to add a front bumper and winch and are not going to be adding a lift kit, a 1.5" or so coil spacer should make the front end level with the back. If you want to maintain the factory rake (front being lower than the back), a 3/4" spacer would compensate for the extra weight.

2007 Rubicon Unlimited: MODS: Superior 5.13 Gears, Black Diamond 3" Lift, 1" M.O.R.E. Body Lift, FT Rear Adj. Trackbar, 15x8 ION 170 wheels, 37x12.50x15 Goodyear MT/R's, Superwinch EPi9.0, Smittybilt SRC front bumper, IGGEE Black/Charcoal seat covers, relocated muffler (Magnaflow 11376).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-26-2007, 09:57 AM
Rock God

Spacers are a band aid in this type of application, if the extra weight is compressing the spring too much you have overloaded it. Adding spacers will lift it back up, but you are still operating the springs in an overloaded condition. This will eventually lead to premature failure, as they are out of their operating range.
Springs that are made to handle the extra weight are a better alternative. Chosen properly, they should have the same ride characteristics as stock after the addition of the bumper/winch combo. Worked for me...

/jl

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-26-2007, 09:57 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockJK View Post
If you want to add a front bumper and winch and are not going to be adding a lift kit, a 1.5" or so coil spacer should make the front end level with the back. If you want to maintain the factory rake (front being lower than the back), a 3/4" spacer would compensate for the extra weight.
X2 3/4" will compensate for the bumper/winch, up to 1 3/4" will compensate for it and also remove the rake.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-26-2007, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

John L, what springs did you use or would you recommend? I assume they would have to come from a aftermarket company. I want to fix it right the first time.
Thanks for everyones advice.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-26-2007, 12:32 PM
Rock God

Mine took 2 1/2" Skyjacker Coils up front & is level; 88lb T-Max 10,000 & 50lb Stubby Bumper. Level..........

Jim,
USMC 0311 - 1811 RVN (Dec 67 - Aug 69) DAV, DMZ "Leatherneck square"((To All The "November Charlie Foxtrot's" that think they know)) You Are Clueless
G27 , G26, & G22-C
post #7 of 9 Old 10-26-2007, 12:59 PM
TrailDuty.com

One other thing, whether you use coils or spacers, if you go more than a 1" or so you'll most probably want to change the shocks too.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-26-2007, 01:07 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
One other thing, whether you use coils or spacers, if you go more than a 1" or so you'll most probably want to change the shocks too.
X2 with PhilD,..I also put the Skyjacker 2 1/2 " lift shocks on.

Jim,
USMC 0311 - 1811 RVN (Dec 67 - Aug 69) DAV, DMZ "Leatherneck square"((To All The "November Charlie Foxtrot's" that think they know)) You Are Clueless
G27 , G26, & G22-C
post #9 of 9 Old 10-26-2007, 04:56 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee 2 View Post
John L, what springs did you use or would you recommend? I assume they would have to come from a aftermarket company. I want to fix it right the first time.
Thanks for everyones advice.
I know you are not planning to lift your jeep, but stay in the truck while I explain this...

I had the same concern you did, what do I do to keep the front end off the bump stops after I mount a bumper and winch. I knew I wanted to lift the jeep with a budget boost (BB), so i started looking at what the vendors had available. My bumper of choice was the Shrockworks stubby and for the winch I wanted to go with the Warn Powerplant, or about 182lbs.

What I eventually found and purchased was the Teraflex heavy duty 2.5" BB with shocks. I called Teraflex and spoke with the design engineer there, and was told this kit was made to keep the jeep level with their bumper and a typical warn winch, or about 200lbs worth of extra weight while maintaining a 2.5" lift. It also came with front swaybar quick disconnects

What makes it HD is instead of spacers in the front they give you new springs that are taller and stiffer (different rate). At the time of install, I had yet to purchase the bumper and winch. It rode tall in the front and the ride was a bit on the stiff side, but I attributed some of that to the new shocks.

I now have the Shrockworks stubby mounted up and it is still just a touch tall in the front, and the ride has noticably smoothed out. A friend of mine has a Powerplant not yet mounted (mines on the way), so last weekend we put it up on mine and it leveled out like it was made that way. I didn't drive it, as we just stuck the winch in the hole, but I'm sure it will be even closer to stock ride characteristics.

To the point, it would be easier to lift and level the jeep than just leveling it after the bumper/winch install if you wanted to do it with springs. On another forum, a member there has my exact bumper/winch setup and his front end set on the bump stops before he started to shim it with spacers. Here is a part of the post....

Quote:
Originally Posted by John L
That's a really nice looking bumper. I think it's the first time I've seen it in black.
I see in your sig you have a 2"BB, how much was taken away with that setup?

Thanks...

The bump stop is sitting on the BB spacer...I am going to put in a 2" coil spacer to get the range of motion again...it's a pretty rough ride right now...

I believe he eventually went with some taller front coils like nam6869usmc did.
Right now I don't know of anyone offering a +stock ride height spring.....but....if you have a local spring shop, give them a call. They can make you a set if they know how much extra weight you want to put in the front. They can measure the rate of the stock ones and make your new ones ride like the old ones.

/jl

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode