REGEAR HELP!!!!! PLEASE!!!!! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 10-24-2007, 04:05 AM Thread Starter

REGEAR HELP!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!

Hello guys, I know this is usually the first question asked when a lift/tires are installed, but I will ask anyway. I am in desperate need of regearing the diffs on my 08' JK (2door Hardtop X, D44-D30, 6speed, 4" Superlift, 325/65/R18 Mickey Thompson MTZ's). I would like the final drive ratio to be a hair lower that the factory ring gears and pinion shafts. My dealer was unable to tell me what ratio it has stock, although the Jeep webpage tells of a 3.21, it also lists a 3.73 with limited slip diffs. My JK did not come with the factory tow package so the 4.10s are out of the question. Judging from the highway speed performance of 5th and 6th gear, I would say the 3.21s. If so, I would think a 4.56 would give me back 6th gear on the highway, or perhaps a 4.88. Any help on this would be appreciated greatly. Oh, has anyone else's ESP gone nuts after installing a lift? Mine turns itself off (or partially off as the owners manual suggests) after about a mile of travel. The tire monitoring indicator light stays illuminated as well. {!} Any info on this issue would be a big help. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-24-2007, 08:22 AM
Rock God

We have the same type of JK, 2 dr X 6 spd and it came with 3.21 gears, there should be a tag on the diff that says the ratio or the tooth count, you can divide those numbers and it will give you the ratio. With a JK you are limited to only a few ratios, they have unique gears to a JK, to my knowledge Superior only makes 4.88 and 5.13 and Alloy has 4.88 and 5.30 on the way. If that tire size is about a 35", I would go with the 4.88, that is what I have in my 2 dr with 35's. I had few problems with the ESP after the lift, even less after the gear swap. BTW, you will need a new carrier with the front gears, but not the rear.

Those of you that think you know everything really annoy those of us that do!
post #3 of 5 Old 10-24-2007, 11:51 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPCREEP View Post
Oh, has anyone else's ESP gone nuts after installing a lift? Mine turns itself off (or partially off as the owners manual suggests) after about a mile of travel. The tire monitoring indicator light stays illuminated as well. {!} Any info on this issue would be a big help. Thanks!
That is usually a result of not centering the steering wheel after lifting it. It is a real easy job and doesn't take long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-24-2007, 09:04 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to RedRockJK Send a message via Yahoo to RedRockJK

If you have the factory window sticker it will tell you what gears you have.

Also, with those tires, the 4.88's would be a great match.

You ever come to the Superlift ORV Park? I'm there quite a bit. Check out http://www.ArkansasCrawlers.com , we wheel at the park a lot and are always glad to have new members.

2007 Rubicon Unlimited: MODS: Superior 5.13 Gears, Black Diamond 3" Lift, 1" M.O.R.E. Body Lift, FT Rear Adj. Trackbar, 15x8 ION 170 wheels, 37x12.50x15 Goodyear MT/R's, Superwinch EPi9.0, Smittybilt SRC front bumper, IGGEE Black/Charcoal seat covers, relocated muffler (Magnaflow 11376).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-25-2007, 04:08 AM

4.88s are nice ...I have them on my TJ.... good stuff....

But why not do it like they say on those INFORMERCIALS in the weee hrs of the morning

5.13s.....Set it and Forget it !!!!

If you are gonna regear just do it one time !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode