Winch anchor advice... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By rubiroo
  • 1 Post By usmcdoc14
  • 1 Post By ExWrench

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 01-04-2011, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Question Winch anchor advice...

I am in the process of designing/building a winch anchor. Why you ask? I live in a desert so we have sand and sagebrush. We also play in the mountains and the beach...I am also bored and looking for a project. If it works well, perhaps a future product or instructions on how to build your own.

The Pullpal seems to have a following...including the military. I have not seen one in action other than videos/ photos on the internet. It appears that it would be difficult to get set unless the soil was "soft" assuming you do not have a winch remote or another set of hands...It also is expensive, IMHO.

The ARB and Smiittybilt anchors do not appear to be effective. I think Expeditionportal (?) did a comparison and these did not perform well compared to the Pullpal.

Other designs are the pickets (rebar, angle iron, etc.), augers, boat anchors, and sand ladders.

My criteria is:

1. Effective in sand, dirt (hard packed, loose), and mud.
2. Easy to setup/ assemble...does not have to be a quick.
3. Compact to store, otherwise it gets left at home.
4. Single person operation without winch remote.
5. Inexpensive to make.

If you have time please provide any input (personal experience, homemades, your criteria, would you carry one? , etc.).

Thanks in advance...

Rubiroo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-04-2011, 10:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Inexpensive, High Quality, Fast

Pick two
post #3 of 23 Old 01-04-2011, 10:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Carry a shovel. Dig a hole about 5 feet deep big enough for your spare tire. Wrap winch cable through spare tire and burry. Walla, instant anchor! Same works in rocks, wrap cable through tire and wedge between rocks.

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 01-05-2011, 02:10 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09rubicon View Post
Carry a shovel. Dig a hole about 5 feet deep big enough for your spare tire. Wrap winch cable through spare tire and burry. Walla, instant anchor! Same works in rocks, wrap cable through tire and wedge between rocks.
My Koi pond is 4' deep and I dug it by hand....digging a 5' hole for a tire seems a bit ridiculous, but it definitely would work I guess. I have used my spare as a wheel chock to help prevent rolling through the brakes before. But I've also never gotten stuck in sand either which is funny considering I live in Florida.. Then again Florida sand is nothing compared to California Dunes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 23 Old 01-05-2011, 04:59 AM
Rock God

Garage

Subscribed.
My buddy has a PullPal and we used once.
Worked perfect. Dug right in the hard packed ground...
With the winch pulling 5000lbs on it makes it dig right through, but yes, you do need 2 pairs of hands.
My guess is in sand, you can "start" it and just winch yourself...
I think the pulling force would be enough to make it dig in sand without having to hold/force it manually...
10-4.
post #6 of 23 Old 01-05-2011, 08:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki646 View Post
My Koi pond is 4' deep and I dug it by hand....digging a 5' hole for a tire seems a bit ridiculous, but it definitely would work I guess. I have used my spare as a wheel chock to help prevent rolling through the brakes before. But I've also never gotten stuck in sand either which is funny considering I live in Florida.. Then again Florida sand is nothing compared to California Dunes.
Never said it wasnt ridiculous or time consuming/back breaking......but it does work. In a pinch when your all alone and with no other options, start digging!

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
post #7 of 23 Old 01-05-2011, 08:53 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Never said it wasnt ridiculous or time consuming/back breaking......but it does work. In a pinch when your all alone and with no other options, start digging!
But that's what he's trying to avoid by creating a tool... the topic of this thread

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #8 of 23 Old 01-05-2011, 09:02 AM
Rock God

60" Hi-lift jack turned upside down and driven into the ground works also.

'09 4dr Rubi Detonator Yellow
35x12.5x17 BFG KM2s they SUCK!
Rugged Ridge XHD bumper Warn 9.5ti
3.5 Mid arm Rock Krawler
Finally 5.13s
post #9 of 23 Old 01-05-2011, 09:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
But that's what he's trying to avoid by creating a tool... the topic of this thread
He asked for homemade solutions as well.......

And if you think about it. Most people already have a spare, a shovel is much smaller and easier to carry than a pull-pal like tool. Its not a "quick" solution, but it does work.

post #10 of 23 Old 01-05-2011, 09:07 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by owtdorz View Post
60" Hi-lift jack turned upside down and driven into the ground works also.
I have heard of this, i am sure it works, but I still keep getting horrible mental images of the top of that jack snapping off......

post #11 of 23 Old 01-05-2011, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Keep the ideas or advice coming

With regard to burying the tire...I hope most people have heard of this method recovery in a pinch. Older army field manuals describe digging a hole, placing a tarp, refill the hole, and attach the four corners of the tarp to the winch...also burying logs...etc.

My goal is to build a tool, that may make recovery easier given an area that is void of natural anchors, too far away to use, etc...certainly burying an object in the ground is a consideration, only the means to do it could provide some entertainment

Keep the ideas or advice coming...
post #12 of 23 Old 01-05-2011, 07:46 PM
Rock God

Garage

I work with a guy who wanted to do something like this but never got around to it ...

His idea was like a supersized dog lead type thing. Basically a big corkscrew with an eye at the top to hook into. Not sure how well this would work in packed dirt though. And not very compact.

Maybe THATS why he never made it ...

2DR '07 Rubicon 6 Spd, Jeep Green

Taller, heavier, slower, dirtier ... BETTER
post #13 of 23 Old 01-05-2011, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Here is someone's idea for a sled dog anchor...works on the same principal as the Pullpal only does not have a "shovel"...it does have two vertical legs that engage the ice-snow/soil... which would be more "hands-free" for a winch anchor without a remote.

post #14 of 23 Old 01-05-2011, 08:22 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubiroo View Post
Here is someone's idea for a sled dog anchor...works on the same principal as the Pullpal only does not have a "shovel"...it does have two vertical legs that engage the ice-snow/soil... which would be more "hands-free" for a winch anchor without a remote.

that would work on the same principle as a boat anchor

2DR '07 Rubicon 6 Spd, Jeep Green

Taller, heavier, slower, dirtier ... BETTER
post #15 of 23 Old 01-05-2011, 08:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
I would think all the time and energy to dig hole for tire, winch self out, then did tire back out you could just dig the jeep out

As good as the pullpal is I do think its WAY over priced. I am interested to see what you come up with though but you should really never wheel alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #16 of 23 Old 01-05-2011, 08:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

just found the earth anchor from northern tools
dunno how well it works, but it looks like something you could get started then go back to the winch
and at $50 its a hellova lot cheaper than a pullpal
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010X5JYI?...0&linkCode=asn

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #17 of 23 Old 01-05-2011, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Not knocking the concept or the previous post...however my dumb-ass would probably drive the jeep in the hole I just got done getting the tire out of....

dig...bury..recover...repeat
The old fart likes this.
post #18 of 23 Old 01-05-2011, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Here are some shed anchor systems...

post #19 of 23 Old 01-06-2011, 07:36 AM
JKO Addict!

4-5 3' long pieces of rebar and a 6' chain with holes big enough to pass the rebar through the links. Hammer the rebar at a 30*ish angle away from your direction of pull THROUGH the chain every foot or so.

Attach winch and pull.
you can set it up in a line or a V depending on soil conditions.

You could even make it out of plate steel

ground anchors are not that complicated, its just a "plow" made to dig itself deeper as it is pulled. Traditional sea anchor designs work as well.
The old fart likes this.
post #20 of 23 Old 11-13-2019, 07:55 PM

I'm looking for ground anchor ideas for winter frozen ground conditions. Not always trees to anchor on. And this one road I jeep on has a side angle that wants to put you off the side. I like the idea with the re-bar and a chain big enough to secure with pounding the re-bar into the ground. Thank you for welcoming me to this forum.
post #21 of 23 Old 11-13-2019, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo13161 View Post
I'm looking for ground anchor ideas for winter frozen ground conditions. Not always trees to anchor on. And this one road I jeep on has a side angle that wants to put you off the side. I like the idea with the re-bar and a chain big enough to secure with pounding the re-bar into the ground. Thank you for welcoming me to this forum.

I read this ( almost 8 yr old thread!) & I envisioned the frozen ground where OP wants to use this & had a small idea.
Nothing like the typical brilliance that was @usmcdoc14 , but wonder if it'd help .

You could ground one end of rebar down then could store it with band-straps to or near the exhaust pipe or someplace hot.
then when u require it in frozen conditions it could be made to better melt the ground as you pounded anchored it to winch from.
You'd have to have some offroading oven-mits (welder gloves) , heh.

post #22 of 23 Old 11-13-2019, 09:50 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo13161 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
I read this ( almost 8 yr old thread!) & I envisioned the frozen ground where OP wants to use this & had a small idea.
Nothing like the typical brilliance that was @usmcdoc14 , but wonder if it'd help .

You could ground one end of rebar down then could store it with band-straps to or near the exhaust pipe or someplace hot.
then when u require it in frozen conditions it could be made to better melt the ground as you pounded anchored it to winch from.
You'd have to have some offroading oven-mits (welder gloves) , heh.
I just had a random idea (I know, what are the odds? )

Make an anchor plate, maybe 3/8" thick, > 8" x 8" with a >5/8" D-ring welded in the center

Name:  FH21458.01.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  25.8 KB

and 8 or more 1/2" holes drilled around the perimeter.

Carry that^ contraption + cordless impact + a dozen of these:

Name:  spax-lag-bolts-4571820122037-64_1000.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  25.5 KB

. . . and BOOM frozen ground winch anchor that only takes a few minutes to set up, tear down, or move.

If that idea sucks, - hey, it was free
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

<-- Random crap you might find useful

Last edited by ExWrench; 11-13-2019 at 09:57 PM.
post #23 of 23 Old 11-14-2019, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
I just had a random idea (I know, what are the odds? )

Make an anchor plate, maybe 3/8" thick, > 8" x 8" with a >5/8" D-ring welded in the center

Attachment 339254

and 8 or more 1/2" holes drilled around the perimeter.

Carry that^ contraption + cordless impact + a dozen of these:

Attachment 339244

. . . and BOOM frozen ground winch anchor that only takes a few minutes to set up, tear down, or move.

If that idea sucks, - hey, it was free

I think that's a cool idea , too!

my next thoughts after reading @ExWrench s reply & ( good) idea was stepping into " The Red Green Show " territory , involving a rose ended torch & tanks of oxyacetylene mounted on winch plate so I think I'm gonna keep it to myself,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode