Jk vibration - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 10-20-2007, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Question Jk vibration

I lifted my 07 4 door with a 3 inch fabtech lift and have 35 inch truxs radial tires and I am getting a vibration in steering at different speeds. I have had it aligned twice and had the tires rebalanced. Any help or suggestions??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-20-2007, 06:55 PM

What is your tire pressure?

Could be driveshafts?
post #3 of 14 Old 10-20-2007, 07:07 PM
Granite Guru

maybe a steering stabilizer would help....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'07 Unlimited Sahara Bright Silver: Auto: 4.10: 285/70R/17 BFG ATs: 1.5" Spidertrax: Painted Hardtop: AirRaid CAI: Borla Exhaust: Painted Bezels: LCD Monitor Mod: Mastercraft Grab Handles: Quadratec Center Arm Rest, Rear Seat Grab Handles & Headlight Guards: Mopar Sill, Tail Light Guards & Chrome Fuel Door: Husky Liners: Daystar Dash Top Panel: Bestop Wood Dash Kit: Neoprene Seatcovers: Littleseats.com 3rd Row Jump Seat: 14" Antenna: RealWheels Grill Guard: UConnect
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 10-20-2007, 09:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FzyPChz View Post
maybe a steering stabilizer would help....
steering stabilizers are usually a band-aid for more concerning issues. I recommend against them.

How long ago did you do the lift? Did the vibration happen right after the lift or later on after the lift? When was the last time you went under the jeep and re-tightened all the new installed bolts?
post #5 of 14 Old 10-20-2007, 10:33 PM
Gib
Rock God

I'd check the track-bar mounts. Especially at the axle. It's a known problem that many lifted JK owners have been having.
post #6 of 14 Old 10-21-2007, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

I have had to tighten the track bars twice and i am still getting the vibration. My tire pressure is at 30.

post #7 of 14 Old 10-21-2007, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

I am trying to find a good 4x4 shop up here in New Hampshire. But I get the same answer up here, You lifted your Jp wow!!! Thats against the law...

I am originaly from San Diego, Ca and there was a good 4x4 shop in every town around...

post #8 of 14 Old 10-21-2007, 06:02 AM
Rock God

If the vibration is happening at different speeds, I'd bet that it's your tires...even though you had them rebalanced. I'd suggest switching the wheels. Put the fronts on the back and backs on the front. I had the same steering wheel vibration problem on my '03 Ram Quad Cab. Bad vibes at around 65 mph. Switching the tires did the trick.

'07 Rubicon
post #9 of 14 Old 10-21-2007, 06:36 AM
Gib
Rock God

It could be a bent rim. It would balance out fine, but it would send vibrations to the wheel.
post #10 of 14 Old 10-21-2007, 09:19 AM
gcg

Does the vibration feel like tires out of balance or more like a driveshaft vibration?

I have a 2 door with a 3.5" RE lift and 35's. The driveshafts are JE Reel. It's had a vibration since the lift that feels like a driveline vibration. It shows up at an indicated speed between 40 and 50 mph, then goes away until an indicated speed of about 70.

If it's a driveline vibration, which driveshafts are you using and have you had the pinion angles checked?
post #11 of 14 Old 10-21-2007, 09:52 AM
TrailDuty.com

With a double cardan front drive shaft, like the JE Reel one, you will have to get the pinion angle right, otherwise it will vibrate. On mine anything over 7.5* will cause vibration. Try pulling the front drive shaft and see if the vibration goes away.

Another thing to consider, if you have after market rims that are lugcentric you need to take your time mounting them and make sure the lugs pull the tire so it is perfectly centered. I had the same problem with mine, had them balanced twice and still had vibration. Changed the lug nuts and the vibration all but went away, spent a few minutes making sure the rim was centering properly and the vibration completely went away.
post #12 of 14 Old 10-21-2007, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Thanks guys will have to try swapping front to back. Still have stock drive shafts. When I had it aligned the second time I put the factory wheels and tires back on and had no vibration and drove straight as a arrow. I am wondering if a I have a bad wheel. I need to find a good shop and have the tires remounted I think.

post #13 of 14 Old 10-28-2007, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Thanks

post #14 of 14 Old 10-28-2007, 02:08 PM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

Many larger and particularly knobby tires are out of center from the factory. It's near impossible to make in a production environment the perfect tire. You could take them to a really good large truck tire shop and they can shave them for you. But it is expensive and you are paying someone to reduce your tire life.

In this case possibly a large steering stabilizer would help reduce the transfer of energy up your steering column. As the only other option is different tires or shaving the ones you have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode