Best riding 3.5 springs

10K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  karlduke 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I know super loaded question, but help me decide between:

Rock Krawler triple rate 3.5

AEV 3.5

JKS SPEC 3.5

Only interested in springs, not kit, brackets or shocks.

Had teraflex and OME, ready for something different, and I hear the triple rated springs are the new thing to have!

Thanks!

#2 ·
Triple rate is a joke like most of the RK marketing stuff.

What kind of travel are you looking at? A progressive coil typically rides nice but does not tend to have the length for long travel set ups. This is the reason for a dual rate coil where the top wraps are fully compressed at ride height.

Metal cloak makes a nice dual rate coil. OME also has a good ride. Never messed with AEV but people that run them rate them high. Of course like you said its a loaded question since so other things contribute to ride quality, mainly tires and shocks.

#3 ·
I have had both RK 3.5 and AEV 3.5 and as a package the AEV was excellent on the road and rough dirt roads. I will say the RK coils felt really good combined with both Rancho 7000's and Bilstien 5100's and Rancho 5000X's but I would never get them again. While the felt great on and off road I had two pair of rear coils sag. but for ride they were nice.

#5 ·
Unfortunately my OME springs are sagging. Such a great ride on my LJ, that I didn’t think twice for the JK. But even my wife noticed the lean and squat. So looking to go from what used to be a 2.5” lift to about 3.5”, with the ability to tow a trailer and my Jeep not doing the carolina squat, or whatever they call that garbage...

I off-road twice a year, so major suspension flex is not what I am after. Just a progressive design I guess, which will allow for a smooth ride until a trailer is added.

So anyone run the JKS coils/ lift?

Thanks!

#6 ·
What you need to understand is that the subject of "best ride" is subjective at best .

What you could ask is what do you guys like for progressive springs ?

Personally the latest set that I have are Metalcloak springs , I have tried two other Manufactures springs and they either were stiff for my taste or they sagged so much that I replaced them after a very short time .

These springs are very supple and have a ride quite like OEM but a little firmer .

Shock and suspension setup as well as the type of spring all have a" perceived " feel and in my opinion need to be a balanced set of parts to work as you personally desire them to work .

A set of shocks that are set up stiff and a set of soft springe will still "net" you a rough ride , conversely a soft spring and a soft shock will "net you a mushy ride so the level of compromise need to be found .

The suggestion that I will make is to ride in as many JK's that you can and find out what you like and then find out how long the owner has had the shocks and springs installed to see if they are a set that has the dreaded JK lean (It is a thing) .

These Metalcloak springs are so far after a year the best that I could find , no sag , no lean , and just stiff enough that the ride is not jarring , but tracks and handles well too .
Again subjective , but I like them .

#7 · (Edited)
Thank you Un Lupus, I did swap the rear OLd Man Emu springs to a softer set, which then in turn dropped the jeep down to level and made the ride softer. Unfortunately after 3 years, they really settled down. Another issue is that I am running E load BFG KM2s. Looking to swap those out for either BFG AT’s in the C rating or go back to Duratracs which I had on my last JKU with the teraflex kit. But I had Bilstein 5100 on all thre Jeeps. Keeping those.

I’ll look into MetalCloak

#8 ·
Agreed , tires and air pressure will effect seat of the pants ride quality too .
Some tires will also have a break-in also , Toyo MT's are among those that do .
When setting air pressure , do a chalk test , there are plenty of threads on JKO about that , just do a search .
Proper air pressure also helps in the handling department also .

10 ply and 8 ply tires are not as soft in the sidewall but do provide some cut protection , it's another compromise .

#9 ·
i know you mentioned not caring about the shocks, buuuuut ...IMO that’s kinda important to pair with the springs. i bought my RK 3.5 max travel in like 2012 after riding in a buddy’s JKU that we installed the same lift on...nicest riding jeep I’ve ever been in. he got the king dingaling RK shocks, i paired my kit with Rancho 9000s that are adjustable to your liking.

this may help you zero if they have totally changed the springs as i have no experience with the new stuff. 130k on my JKU and still kickin

#11 ·
I ran the JKS 2.5" springs and loved them...with PS fenders and some trimming cleared 37s no problem

I had a buddy with the 3.5s, stock fenders and raced about them as well

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

#16 ·
I've ridden in all types of coilspring brand jeeps.
I still go with tap & proclaim my Synergy Mfg 3" progressive springs have not sagged & ride & perform great for my setup.

I recommend them.

I have ridden in MC sprung jku's that were nice rides on trail,too.

#17 ·
Update

So I got the AEV 3.5” coils, added JKS adjustable lower control arms, JKS HD adjustable track track and have a new front drive shaft on order ( old shaft would be ok but running different engine).
Ride is about the same as OME. And my off the shelf Bilstein 5100 work just find w the AEV coils. (AEV offers a specially tuned 5100 series shock with their kit, which had me concerned).

Got a clean 4” front and rear, I do expect it to settle some. My coils are compressed in the upper section. No spongy feeling, and it corners very nice. We will see how they do when I hook the trailer to it!

I appreciate everyone’s input and advice. And yes, the best way to see what one likes is to ask a fellow Jeeper for a ride to see how their set up feels to you! This will give you a true side by side compare.:beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.