JKOwners Forum banner

Install for Magnuson 3.8L Supercharger.

9K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  j_colter 
#1 ·
I believe I got lucky in purchasing the last new Magnuson supercharger for the 3.8L Jeep JK. I've been searching for it for some time now. But with Magnuson having discontinued the product and so many companies drop shipping everything, the companies that still list it on their site don't have it in stock. I can't blame them for not having it in stock, just wished they'd remove the item from their site since it's been discontinued which makes it difficult to find a company that actually has it. And if you're still searching for one and find it to purchase, congratulations and count yourself lucky.

I purchased it from Summit Racing about two weeks ago, the story was a shop ordered it for a client but never picked it up due to their client cancelling the order. I have already received it and although minor damage to the box, everything was intact from what I can tell.

This is something that'll be installed over the following 4 to 8 weeks, literately. I figured that I could install some of the parts before the main event therefor decreasing the downtime overall. This is due to job and ordering of parts/tools. For the parts, I figured changing the spark plugs, spark plug wires, and even the exhaust manifolds would be easier during this process then having to do it after the supercharger is installed.

I've discovered that aFe is making replacement ductile iron exhaust manifolds that I figure should stand the test of time compared to the factory ones. I don't care about their claimed performance, I care about them lasting and hopefully that will be the case. And also before someone questions, yes mine are cracked.

The post is not really going to cover the install in detail nor have pictures. Unfortunately I don't have an account at a social picture sharing site, nor am I going to get one. This is more of it being my ramblings as I go through the process of the installation along with thoughts after completion.

As to why I selected a supercharger instead of performing an engine swap, that came down to price and ability of doing it completely myself. I'm not expecting a race car here, it's a Jeep after all, however it will give me what I want in the long run.

Let the fun begin... >:)

See less See more
#2 ·
I thought about going with a supercharger as well, but after seeing that they still put me at less than a 3.6, I didn't find the cost worth it. When I drove a buddy's 3.6 that was comparable to my jeep, it didn't impress me any, which is why I won't trade it in.

You can also post pics using the manage attachments tab down below so we can see the progress. If you wanted to show it off.

#4 ·
My only complaint so far is the heat exchanger will not fit with the Mopar hood lock. I contact sales for Magnuson last year to which they stated it would, so waiting on word currently about what they're going to do. I'm not expecting much really, but it doesn't hurt to ask them if they'll stand up to what they stated.

I am happy they use a HP Tuners device for tuning, but it not a full version. I'm going to check to see if it can be upgraded to the full version, but I have my doubts. This will be down the line though.

The 3.6L engine really didn't improve the Jeep JK all that much in my opinion for the manual transmissions. I believe the automatic transmission for the release was the real star of that show when compared to earlier ones.

And I'm not really worried about comparing a supercharged 3.8L to a 3.6L nor a supercharged 3.6L. This setup I feel will give me more then enough power for my needs.

As for pictures, I'm aware of attaching them directly. Unfortunately I have already used the free space. :crying:

Recommend getting a good tuning package and a trip to the dyno. Good luck!

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
That is a future endeavour for sure, I'm just not worried about that at this time. Installation is more important, but thanks for the suggestion.

#5 · (Edited)
Lucky you! i tried to buy a Magnuson supercharger for my 3.8 but after couple run arounds i gave up. But during my search I was offered a Ripp SC at a good discount (no where as good as the magnuson) and decided to take that. I took my time with the install as well. did a lot of cleaning, replaced PVC valve, wrapped some exposed harnesses where the wire loom had disintegrated, and etc. I also switched out my Mopar hood lock for a more compact Tuffy hood lock to clear the intercooler.
So far im very happy with the install. Power is great and really brought back the joy in traveling with the jeep again. In fact, dare i say, the power maybe better then my brothers 19' JLUR.

09 JKUR w/6spd, 4.56:1 on 37's

#6 ·
Yeah, I definitely feel lucky. It really was luck that I found it for sure. :grin2:

Ripp was not really an option as I didn't want to have to engineer a solution to make it work with a snorkel. But I will say that it's good to hear that you are satisfied with your setup. It is good when someone is happy with what they have purchased.

#8 ·
I hope it works out and you like it.
I personally hated the SC on my 3.8! I was getting around 4mpg (with the auto) and it was still less power than my wife's 3.6 pentastar in her Rubicon. I dealt with it for two years and finally gave up and swapped for the 6.0l V8. My only regret was not going with the swap first because I thought I would be "saving money".

#14 ·
Well, I've been in contact with Magnuson and so far the interaction hasn't been great. Even got a manager involved, but so far that hasn't helped. Honestly not impressed by their customer service at this point, but but we'll see what happens in the end. I only hope when I send them the file for tuning that the interaction will go much better.

And I've decided to get the exhaust manifolds ceramic coated. Haven't picked a company yet, but I have been pricing around locally. Really just hoping that it will help some with the heat in the engine compartment and figured why not.

#15 · (Edited)
Well this is going to take longer. I've just sent out the exhaust manifolds to Jet-Hot for ceramic coating. Turn around is 15 business days and it wont arrive to them until after Christmas. So hopefully next month I'll be able to start the process. Really want to install the manifolds before installation.

The reason for the ceramic coating on the exhaust manifolds is so I don't have to worry about a heat shield. Just install and let the coating do it's magic.

As for my issue with Magnuson, they don't want to honor what their sales person stated. I've made a complaint through the BBB, which I don't believe will go anywhere either really but who knows.

As this thread is really boring without pictures, I'll rectify that next year. I'm going to post pictures of the exhaust manifolds and progress of installation once I start.

#16 · (Edited)
I'm glad to hear of this change of heart on the images.

things like the the Mopar hood lock fitment interference & the cool exhaust manis w/ the soon to be coated dreaminess are " must see's" ! :wink2:

I'm sorry to hear your interactions w/ Magnusson isn't what you'd expected or feel it should be. Are they balking about support for a discontinued product or is it just something that Summit's salesperson told you or you talked to one at Magnusson?

kinda confusing but there's probably a lot you're dealin' with.

it'll all pay off once all this is sorted out,man

oh, fwiw, don't order from lesser ranked sellers or anything not stating it's " new" & your Amazon stuff should at least arrive in IT'S original packaging ...it'll just be the outter ,Amazon box that'll be cracked, smooshed , opened or stepped on. I order my OEM spec Champions solely off Amazon but won't select unless it's Prime backed and at least a 97% approval rate. Even then , for plugs , only New or OEM "in original box" should prevent loose plugs tossed like salad across the county !

#17 ·
I addressed Magnuson in an earlier post:
My only complaint so far is the heat exchanger will not fit with the Mopar hood lock. I contact sales for Magnuson last year to which they stated it would, so waiting on word currently about what they're going to do. I'm not expecting much really, but it doesn't hurt to ask them if they'll stand up to what they stated.
Basically they should stand up to what their sales person stated stated last year when I contacted them through e-mail.

Anyway, I have a couple of options if they ultimately don't respond to the BBB or still refuse to stand up even through the BBB. One is purchase lockable hood latches and the other is to pay a welder to modify the heat exchanger upper supports to split it so the factory hood lock will work. I'm leaning to the lockable hood latches as it's cheaper.

And for Amazon, I rarely will order something that is not sold and shipped by Amazon itself. For the spark plugs, they were sold and shipped through Amazon, unfortunately the padded pouch envelope used for the spark plugs won't hold up to shipping. Just another thing to add to the not to order through Amazone list. :frown2:

#18 ·
Just an update. Magnuson never replied to the BBB complaint, so I've exhausted all possibilities that I can think of to force Magnuson to stand up for what their sales person stated. Oh well, time to move on.

For the hood lock situation, I decided to go with Rampage's locking hood latches:

https://www.rampageproducts.com/rampage-76336-hood-catch-locking

I figured it will be good enough for my needs and I won't have to worry about modifying the heat exchanger at all.

Unfortunately I haven't had the time to do any preassembly work for the install as of yet and I'm also waiting on Jet-Hot to send me back the exhaust manifolds, but I'm still hoping to start the preassembly work work this week.

Today I sent the stock tune file to them and received it back within one hour. Really didn't expect a fast turn around on this, so I can't complain on that front for the time being.

And for anyone worrying about pictures, don't worry there will be some when the install starts... :grin2:

#21 ·
Well I can now post pictures again, so here's the most current one of my Jeep:

I decided to get the aFe branded exhaust gasket, which was a mistake. This picture says it all:

I understand not all companies make all of their own products, but I would expect them to have their own branding on the product and not just put it in a big box with their corporate logo :surprise:

Anyway, I also received the Jet-Hot coated aFe exhaust manifolds:

They're coated both on the exterior and the interior of the part. And I'm going to take temperature readings from the original exhaust manifolds and compare them to the new ones. This will let me know if the ceramic coating works as they state it should. Here's to hoping :th_pray:

#22 ·
Welp, it's time to get back to this thread as I finally have some time. I've actually been working on this slowly this past two weeks with a little progress.

Currently I've pulled off front bumper, already have it's replacement and may start a different thread for that, as it made it much easier to get the radiator drip pan off. I discovered a powersteering line that goes under a cross bar just in front of the radiator:

Unfortunately the instructions are incorrect for cutting the hole in the drip pan, so I had to elongate it:

This pictures also show the pitman arm may come in contact with the pump for the Magnusun supercharger. I'll be verifying clearance for it over the weekend.

As for the radiator install, find it funny they want foam strips on the back of the unit to help airflow through it which blocks two rows both top and bottom:

But as you can see with the following picture, the bottom on inch of the radiator is below the crossbar so it's not going to get much air flow anyways:

Another thing that picture shows is the mounting tabs with the rubber strips didn't fit properly. If the rubber strips were not installed, it would be flat across the that bar, but the instructions state the rubber strips should be there.

I can also say the plastic pin removal for the drip pan was a pain. It seems they only want them for one time use as once you get the damn things out, they are not really reusable.

In summary so far, although the instructions from Magnuson are detailed, unfortunately they don't match up once you install some of the components so not really impressed so far. After I get this all installed according to their instructions and parts, I will be reenginerring the cooling setup for both the included radiator, pump location, and the wiring. The radiator will definitely replaced with something that will fit better in that location and allow for the Mopar hood lock.

#23 ·
Wow, sorry to hear this has been an epic saga compared to the as-advertised bolt-in dream. Custom shit always needs further customizing in my experience (but I screw with stuff that could be left alone, so consider the source :ROFLMAO: ).

FYI, that power steering return hard line is placed there because it's a P/S cooler.
It's under low pressure, but metal tube is used for heat transfer properties.
If you need to ditch it for a hose, be sure to run a P/S cooler of some kind.

#24 ·
@ExWrench: I'm getting used to the not as advertised part here, so just going with the flow now. Of course hoping the end result will all be worth it.

Honestly everything done to my Jeep to date is not really necessary, it's really my compulsion just to make it better in my opinion. In doing so, I've learned that further customizing is always necessary no matter what you purchase for it.

As for that power steering hard line, with the factory bumper and everything else covering it I'm having a hard time understanding how good airflow would be achieved in that location to help cool anything in said line. If it does what you say it does, not that I don't trust you , there must be some negative pressure zone to force air to go by it considering the radiator drip pan is just behind it. Anyway I'm not planning to do anything to it at this time, but I do plan to go to a PSC big bore setup eventually :D

#27 ·
Over the weekend I cycled the steering to verity the pitman arm interference with the pump, which there doesn't appear to be any. It just looks closer then it is. But, I will have to cycle the suspension to be sure the drag link won't hit the pump either. Better to verify now than finding out on the trail.

The more I work with the pump placement, the more I want to reengineer the the radiator and pump setup. Just need to get through the initial install.

#28 ·
I sure hope every thing works out for ya. I had a company put one on my JK an it begin a two year string of problems for me. Sorry to tell you all this and hope all works well for ya! Mine worked great for the 1st few weeks and the started throwing codes and wouldn’t run right! I finely took the hit (over seven grand) and put a Hemi into it!

#29 ·
@DB: As I've read both good and bad about all of the supercharger companies out their, Magnuson had the least in unfavorable reviews as for issues after the fact of installation specifically on the 3.8L. So I'm not really expecting issue with all of the research I've put in to this.

I may not be having a favorable experience with the installation, but that doesn't mean there will be issues once I get everything completed. Time will tell in the end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.