Install for Magnuson 3.8L Supercharger. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Will Scarlet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 11-17-2019, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Install for Magnuson 3.8L Supercharger.

I believe I got lucky in purchasing the last new Magnuson supercharger for the 3.8L Jeep JK. I've been searching for it for some time now. But with Magnuson having discontinued the product and so many companies drop shipping everything, the companies that still list it on their site don't have it in stock. I can't blame them for not having it in stock, just wished they'd remove the item from their site since it's been discontinued which makes it difficult to find a company that actually has it. And if you're still searching for one and find it to purchase, congratulations and count yourself lucky.

I purchased it from Summit Racing about two weeks ago, the story was a shop ordered it for a client but never picked it up due to their client cancelling the order. I have already received it and although minor damage to the box, everything was intact from what I can tell.

This is something that'll be installed over the following 4 to 8 weeks, literately. I figured that I could install some of the parts before the main event therefor decreasing the downtime overall. This is due to job and ordering of parts/tools. For the parts, I figured changing the spark plugs, spark plug wires, and even the exhaust manifolds would be easier during this process then having to do it after the supercharger is installed.

I've discovered that aFe is making replacement ductile iron exhaust manifolds that I figure should stand the test of time compared to the factory ones. I don't care about their claimed performance, I care about them lasting and hopefully that will be the case. And also before someone questions, yes mine are cracked.

The post is not really going to cover the install in detail nor have pictures. Unfortunately I don't have an account at a social picture sharing site, nor am I going to get one. This is more of it being my ramblings as I go through the process of the installation along with thoughts after completion.

As to why I selected a supercharger instead of performing an engine swap, that came down to price and ability of doing it completely myself. I'm not expecting a race car here, it's a Jeep after all, however it will give me what I want in the long run.

Let the fun begin...
ndtguy and The old fart like this.

2011 Sahara Tan Rubicon 6 Speed
TR HD17 Beadlocks, BFGoodrich A/T KO2 34x10.50R17, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, and more to come...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-17-2019, 02:03 PM
Wheeler

I thought about going with a supercharger as well, but after seeing that they still put me at less than a 3.6, I didn't find the cost worth it. When I drove a buddy's 3.6 that was comparable to my jeep, it didn't impress me any, which is why I won't trade it in.

You can also post pics using the manage attachments tab down below so we can see the progress. If you wanted to show it off.
post #3 of 14 Old 11-17-2019, 03:15 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Recommend getting a good tuning package and a trip to the dyno. Good luck!

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 11-18-2019, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

My only complaint so far is the heat exchanger will not fit with the Mopar hood lock. I contact sales for Magnuson last year to which they stated it would, so waiting on word currently about what they're going to do. I'm not expecting much really, but it doesn't hurt to ask them if they'll stand up to what they stated.

I am happy they use a HP Tuners device for tuning, but it not a full version. I'm going to check to see if it can be upgraded to the full version, but I have my doubts. This will be down the line though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatCow View Post
I thought about going with a supercharger as well, but after seeing that they still put me at less than a 3.6, I didn't find the cost worth it. When I drove a buddy's 3.6 that was comparable to my jeep, it didn't impress me any, which is why I won't trade it in.

You can also post pics using the manage attachments tab down below so we can see the progress. If you wanted to show it off.
The 3.6L engine really didn't improve the Jeep JK all that much in my opinion for the manual transmissions. I believe the automatic transmission for the release was the real star of that show when compared to earlier ones.

And I'm not really worried about comparing a supercharged 3.8L to a 3.6L nor a supercharged 3.6L. This setup I feel will give me more then enough power for my needs.

As for pictures, I'm aware of attaching them directly. Unfortunately I have already used the free space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockystock View Post
Recommend getting a good tuning package and a trip to the dyno. Good luck!

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
That is a future endeavour for sure, I'm just not worried about that at this time. Installation is more important, but thanks for the suggestion.

TR HD17 Beadlocks, BFGoodrich A/T KO2 34x10.50R17, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, and more to come...
post #5 of 14 Old 11-18-2019, 05:38 PM
Rock God

Lucky you! i tried to buy a Magnuson supercharger for my 3.8 but after couple run arounds i gave up. But during my search I was offered a Ripp SC at a good discount (no where as good as the magnuson) and decided to take that. I took my time with the install as well. did a lot of cleaning, replaced PVC valve, wrapped some exposed harnesses where the wire loom had disintegrated, and etc. I also switched out my Mopar hood lock for a more compact Tuffy hood lock to clear the intercooler.
So far im very happy with the install. Power is great and really brought back the joy in traveling with the jeep again. In fact, dare i say, the power maybe better then my brothers 19' JLUR.

09 JKUR w/6spd, 4.56:1 on 37's

09' White JKU Rubicon with some stuff

Last edited by Chris85xlt; 11-18-2019 at 05:42 PM.
post #6 of 14 Old 11-19-2019, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris85xlt View Post
Lucky you! i tried to buy a Magnuson supercharger for my 3.8 but after couple run arounds i gave up. But during my search I was offered a Ripp SC at a good discount (no where as good as the magnuson) and decided to take that. I took my time with the install as well. did a lot of cleaning, replaced PVC valve, wrapped some exposed harnesses where the wire loom had disintegrated, and etc. I also switched out my Mopar hood lock for a more compact Tuffy hood lock to clear the intercooler.
So far im very happy with the install. Power is great and really brought back the joy in traveling with the jeep again. In fact, dare i say, the power maybe better then my brothers 19' JLUR.

09 JKUR w/6spd, 4.56:1 on 37's
Yeah, I definitely feel lucky. It really was luck that I found it for sure.

Ripp was not really an option as I didn't want to have to engineer a solution to make it work with a snorkel. But I will say that it's good to hear that you are satisfied with your setup. It is good when someone is happy with what they have purchased.

post #7 of 14 Old 11-20-2019, 10:21 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Scarlet View Post
Yeah, I definitely feel lucky. It really was luck that I found it for sure.

Ripp was not really an option as I didn't want to have to engineer a solution to make it work with a snorkel. But I will say that it's good to hear that you are satisfied with your setup. It is good when someone is happy with what they have purchased.

My top choice was Magunson, Sprintex and then Ripp. But im pleasantly surprise how well it turned out. Would of sucked if the Ripp was a disappointment especially how much it costed lol. if i had to complain about something is it does require some revs to really start building power but its really not bad. It still has more power across the board compare to stock

Yeah, down side it doesnt have a good way to hook up to a snorkle. Even Ripps solution looks terrible .

post #8 of 14 Old 11-21-2019, 10:35 AM
Wheeler

Garage

I hope it works out and you like it.
I personally hated the SC on my 3.8! I was getting around 4mpg (with the auto) and it was still less power than my wife's 3.6 pentastar in her Rubicon. I dealt with it for two years and finally gave up and swapped for the 6.0l V8. My only regret was not going with the swap first because I thought I would be "saving money".

2011 Jeep Rubicon JKU 6.0l VORTEC L96 - 6L80E 6 speed auto
40" Cooper SST Pros-17" Level 8's - 4.5" Synergy Suspension
WTO Hydro assist- Fusion D60's 4.88 gears
VKS Fab and XRC Bumpers/Armor-9500 Synthetic Winch 10lb CO2-Teraflex Big Brake Kit
post #9 of 14 Old 11-21-2019, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Well, I've received the spark plugs and wires through Amazon. Unfortunately will be returning the plugs as they threw them in a bubble bag, got tossed around some, and came delivered damaged. So I just learned not to purchase spark plugs through Amazon.

I have the aFe exhaust manifolds as well. The box was damaged, but the contents were all good. I'll pass judgement on them once installed and in use.

I don't know what it is with shipping any more, but just about all packages through Amazon, UPS, and FedEx come with some damage to them. It's really like they just don't care any more. Okay, enough on that issue.

Currently still waiting on Magnuson's reply. I'll send a reminder e-mail to them tomorrow

Quote:
My top choice was Magunson, Sprintex and then Ripp. But im pleasantly surprise how well it turned out. Would of sucked if the Ripp was a disappointment especially how much it costed lol. if i had to complain about something is it does require some revs to really start building power but its really not bad. It still has more power across the board compare to stock

Yeah, down side it doesnt have a good way to hook up to a snorkle. Even Ripps solution looks terrible .
For me it was either Magnuson or nothing else. The other superchargers out there have various issues that I don't want to really deal with. If someone is truly interested the issues I find with the other supercharges out there, just ask.

And don't get me wrong here, I'm not bashing the other superchargers out there as there are many successful installs for them. I'm merely pointing out they were not an option for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide9 View Post
I hope it works out and you like it.
I personally hated the SC on my 3.8! I was getting around 4mpg (with the auto) and it was still less power than my wife's 3.6 pentastar in her Rubicon. I dealt with it for two years and finally gave up and swapped for the 6.0l V8. My only regret was not going with the swap first because I thought I would be "saving money".
I'm sorry you had an issue with your supercharger install. I almost felt like asking which one you went with, but honestly it really doesn't matter and in the end I just don't care. There is always someone that will have a problem with any of the superchargers out there, but most of what I have read has been positive.

And honestly I'm glad to hear you're happy with your new setup. After all, we all want to be happy with what we purchase. And I feel that I will be happy with the results at the end of my project.

post #10 of 14 Old 11-22-2019, 04:16 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:

I'm sorry you had an issue with your supercharger install. I almost felt like asking which one you went with, but honestly it really doesn't matter and in the end I just don't care. There is always someone that will have a problem with any of the superchargers out there, but most of what I have read has been positive.

And honestly I'm glad to hear you're happy with your new setup. After all, we all want to be happy with what we purchase. And I feel that I will be happy with the results at the end of my project.
I made it a point to call out that I had an automatic and I see in your signature that you have the six speed so you should be much happier than I was. I had the sprintex which is also a twinscrew type which I what I wanted (really wanted the magnuson at the time but agian, was trying to save money). It added a significant amount of HP compared to the pathetic amount of the minivan 3.8 in this thing but the biggest fault of my setup is the crappy 4speed auto that is really just a 3speed w overdrive which means you are either at 4k rpm or chugging always. I was running 5.38 gears on 40's and it made it just bearable. Switch to the v8 was a lot more money but for me on a 6400lb JK it is what the vehicle should have especially since now I have the 6speed auto.

Again, good luck and definitely focus on tuning when you get it installed as the sc will give you a ton of tuning options.

2011 Jeep Rubicon JKU 6.0l VORTEC L96 - 6L80E 6 speed auto
40" Cooper SST Pros-17" Level 8's - 4.5" Synergy Suspension
WTO Hydro assist- Fusion D60's 4.88 gears
VKS Fab and XRC Bumpers/Armor-9500 Synthetic Winch 10lb CO2-Teraflex Big Brake Kit
post #11 of 14 Old 11-24-2019, 10:51 AM
Rock God

Quote:

For me it was either Magnuson or nothing else. The other superchargers out there have various issues that I don't want to really deal with. If someone is truly interested the issues I find with the other supercharges out there, just ask.
im curious what you have to say about ripp sc so i know what to look out for. Easier to learn from others then to experience it first hand myself haha.

My kit came with colder spark plugs

I wanted a root style sc for better low end power. the Ripp definitely needs some revs to get it really moving but across the board its making more power then stock. Just got back from Johnson Valley yesterday and couldn't have been more happy with the SC performance. Now i wish the jeep was more stable at high way speeds lol

post #12 of 14 Old 11-25-2019, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
im curious what you have to say about ripp sc so i know what to look out for. Easier to learn from others then to experience it first hand myself haha.

My kit came with colder spark plugs

I wanted a root style sc for better low end power. the Ripp definitely needs some revs to get it really moving but across the board its making more power then stock. Just got back from Johnson Valley yesterday and couldn't have been more happy with the SC performance. Now i wish the jeep was more stable at high way speeds lol
For Ripp, I addressed that earlier:

Quote:
Ripp was not really an option as I didn't want to have to engineer a solution to make it work with a snorkel.
That is my whole issue with Ripp. Really if that was not an issue for me, I would have purchased the black ops kit as they still support the 3.8L engines.

Since we're on this subject, the others that I'm aware of are Sprintex and and Boosted Tech. For Sprintex, every video I've seen on them you can hear the supercharger whine. It reminds me of when I had my 71 Camaro Z28 with a gear drive for the timing chain. It's fun at first but will get annoying in the end, which is why I went back to a timing chain on that car.

As for Booted Tech, didn't like that their setup overall. Lack of intercooling and their 7th injector setup to me adds complication.

I will reiterate, I'm not really knocking the others out there as many people seem to be happy with them. For me the only choice was Magnuson.

post #13 of 14 Old 11-25-2019, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide9 View Post
I made it a point to call out that I had an automatic and I see in your signature that you have the six speed so you should be much happier than I was. I had the sprintex which is also a twinscrew type which I what I wanted (really wanted the magnuson at the time but agian, was trying to save money). It added a significant amount of HP compared to the pathetic amount of the minivan 3.8 in this thing but the biggest fault of my setup is the crappy 4speed auto that is really just a 3speed w overdrive which means you are either at 4k rpm or chugging always. I was running 5.38 gears on 40's and it made it just bearable. Switch to the v8 was a lot more money but for me on a 6400lb JK it is what the vehicle should have especially since now I have the 6speed auto.

Again, good luck and definitely focus on tuning when you get it installed as the sc will give you a ton of tuning options.
Thanks for the clarification. I've read both happy and sad people with Sprintex and it really is a shame it didn't work out for you. But in the end you got what you wanted all along with your V8 install and hopefully I'll get what I want with my supercharger setup.

post #14 of 14 Old 11-28-2019, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Well, I've been in contact with Magnuson and so far the interaction hasn't been great. Even got a manager involved, but so far that hasn't helped. Honestly not impressed by their customer service at this point, but but we'll see what happens in the end. I only hope when I send them the file for tuning that the interaction will go much better.

And I've decided to get the exhaust manifolds ceramic coated. Haven't picked a company yet, but I have been pricing around locally. Really just hoping that it will help some with the heat in the engine compartment and figured why not.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode