JKOwners Forum banner

Front brake squeal

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Fklein6768 
#1 ·
Putting this in modified seeing as my front brakes are off of the European JK8. 13" rotors with the brake calipers. Still have plenty of pad left on them and the rotors have no scouring or hot spots, but I can not get them to stop squealing when I come to a stop, usually right as I come to a stop, slow speed. I have removed the pads and flat sanded them to remove the glazing and have also done the same to the rotors, scuffing them up with sandpaper. First time I did that it lasted well over a year. Now I have done it a couple times. It will stop for a while, week or two but then it will start up again.
What are the chances that it is just the material of the pads? They are the original pads. Should I just replace with some new pads of different materials? If so what kind are recommended?

#2 ·
Pads r cheaper than rotors/I believe the dodge nitro are the US version for the pads. I dont think my set have worn much at all since install and still super quiet.

I threw a premium set of pads on the wifes ride and they are eating the rotors for breakfast/lunch/dinner. When these do need replacing just going with the Nitro compatible set.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

#3 ·
By what you are describing, I would think it would be pad related. However I would try the disk brake quite stuff, you know the stuff you put between the pad and caliper. It's cheap and easy to try.

Hope this helps... :smile2:

#4 ·
Agree on pads. First thing to change. When I put 13s up front with big brake calipers, I had some squeak, but that was because of very slight rubbing. There is not a whole lot of room in there for big brakes. What made it more of a challenge for me was the size of my ties rod. I had to cut a little from the backing plate.

This is only if you change the pads and no go. Might look afterwards to any rubbing up front. Might try stopping while going super slow, then trying to come to a quick stop from a higher speed. See if there is a difference. Just a crazy idea.

#5 ·
Yeah, I have done the quick stop and no squeal. Only when coming to a slow stop.

Kind of looks like new pads are in order. Was leaning that way but wanted some others experience.

#8 ·
Yes, everything has been cleaned, greased and inspected. Also checked the dust shields, no contact. Only does it when coming to a stop and when you have light pressure to end the stop. Its coming back again after the last deglazing I did. So may as stated just have to replace the pads. I'm OCD about things and it is not tolerable to hear them squeal, plus its embarrassing.

#9 · (Edited)
..... front brakes are off of the European JK8. 13" rotors with the brake calipers. ...I can not get them to stop squealing .....
What are the chances that it is just the material of the pads? They are the original pads. Should I just replace with some new pads ...

yes.
our front brakes take more than their share of the stopping load. This is the dust & only way I found to eliminate the little,annoying , coming to a slow stop "cheep" or "chirp" was moving to different - new - pads. If they're the original, just replace them!
I use EBC Greens but they're known for being dusty pads. I have heard the orange , ' Xtra duty' pads are made
for trucks & yield a less dusty experience. They're imported & cost more but do not squeak. I go thru 3 front sets for every 1 rear set on this jeep. I tried all types , having used Wearever Gold , Monroe , Raybestos, PowerStop , ACDelco , OmixAda and Crown.

running Crown semi metallic rear pads with EBC green up front has proven longest lasting ,quietest for my jku.

the good thing about the Wearever ( advance Auto) gold is they replace them indefinitely under warranty. But they aren't ceramic which is OEM spec for front .

grease your caliper clips that sit between pad-ear and caliper better. it surprised me that not doing so can cause squealing ,too

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.