Rebel Offroad/King set up - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By KOWBOY
  • 1 Post By thedirtman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 11-07-2019, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Rebel Offroad/King set up

Im looking for advice from those running the bolt on coilover mount kit and 2.5 Kings (12 and 14)on their JKU
Specifically, shock rates.
Looking to be as low as possible with 40s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-08-2019, 05:57 AM
Rock God

Don't buy it. Shocks should be vertical. It's a physics thang.

Rebel Off-Road is makin' a damned-fine livin' off of sellin' folks shit that ain't worth a fuck but they think they need or look cool.

If you seriously think you need 40's and coilovers ... so be it. I got 'em and I luv 'em.

But you'd be better off avoidin' anythang and ev'rythang associated with Rebel Off-Road.

And thanks for postin' the question. I ain't had an opportunity to bash 'em for a good while. It's a great way to start my day.
tapcola likes this.

My Trailer Queen don't ride on one ... it pulls one.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-08-2019, 08:52 AM
JKO Addict!

I think you are asking coil rates, not shock rates. That depends on your jeeps weight, lift height desired, and amount of up/down in the shocks at ride hight. If you want to run 40's with coil overs you should be running flat fenders as well. These bolt on kits are expensive and allow you to run coil overs but are set up poorly. They don't have enough up travel in the system unless you go with 6+" of lift. I would avoid these type of kits. I know they are popular and a lot of people run them but you are better off doing a custom set up with someone that knows what they are doing. I am also not a fan of hanging coil overs off the rear using the factory mounting locations. I have seen too many rigs that beat the hell out of rear shocks on rocks. The EVO bolt on kit is way more popular but is just as bad. Poorly set up and don't believe the BS about their custom valving. I have opened up their shocks and seen the valving and it is nothing special. Just a progressive stack.
ALASHA likes this.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-08-2019, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I meant spring rates...
I should have been more clear. The current rates are 250/300 but it seems kinda tall. As I said I’m looking to get it as low as possible
post #5 of 10 Old 11-08-2019, 11:36 PM
JKO Addict!

So, you already have the rebel set up? 14" front and 12" rear I assume? If so you have about 4" of shinny shaft showing at ride height? JK or JKU? Provide some details or even better some photos of your set up.

Some build info here:

post #6 of 10 Old 11-09-2019, 08:40 AM
Rock God

my buddy has the rebel/king set up and he can not figure out how tho lower it. It has like 6"+ inches of lift in front and no matter which way we run the preload rings it does not change lift height. It is all over the road. Rebel offroad has been zero help. What do the lock rings that are in the middle actually do? They are centered on his but I can not see their actual function.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-09-2019, 09:15 AM
JKO Addict!

If you are talking about the 2 silver slotted nuts they are called secondary nuts and you locate them where you want to transition from a dual rate (light) to a single rate (heavy), It helps handle the vehicle weight better on jumps so you don't bottom out so hard and fast. The ideal set up with these bolt on kits would be with 10" travel shocks and 35" tires. and the shocks set to 50/50 up down or a 12" travel shock with 5" up and 7" down travel. You are still running quite a bit of lift but at least the set up has room to work. When you put 40's on you really have to run a lot of lift to have the up travel needed due to the tire clearance to the fenders and body.

Very few bolt on coil over set up I have seen are actually set up correctly. The secondary nuts are in the wrong place, preload is not set, or they just have too little up travel where they bottom out constantly. The ones that also have bypasses are even worse. People are spending $4k for shocks they are not utilizing because they want 40's and no lift. this ends up putting the system in a 3"-4" up travel which on a 12" bypass is basically riding in the bump zone of the shock.

If your buddy can not lower the jeep then he needs different (lighter) coil rates. These bolt on companies use coils on the heavy side to keep the jeep from bottoming out so quick. I run a 150/250 on my 18" travel coil overs with 7" up travel and 11" down. The last JKU I did a custom suspension on we used 150/300 on the rear 14" travel with 5" up 9" down and will be adding hydraulic bumps to help with the bottoming out. He is on 40's which limit the up travel and he is at around 5"-6" of lift. He already had the EVO front bolt on kit with 12" travel shocks and I think it is a 250/300 coil rate. 5" up 7" down as far as travel. It works for him as a daily driver and weekend trail runner but he does not jump it or drive super aggressive. It sits nearly 80" tall at the highest point with the soft top on.

These companies sell these kits as being turned for their jeep which is a total lie as each jeep is different with different weights and travel. In most cases a couple hours with a tuner will really improve the ride and performance of the set up.

If you think you are going to run one of these set up with 40's and minimal lift you are going to have to basically remove the front fenders and chop the shit out of the front and rear to get the up clearance you need for tires.

Some build info here:

post #8 of 10 Old 11-09-2019, 10:06 AM
Rock God

my buddy is running 35's and that is all he will run. His is a fairly heavy 2 door but no way should his front end be so jacked up. he has a ton of up travel and no down travel. I asked him to see what rate springs he has and he said Rebel has basically hung up on him and won't talk to him. He also said they told him not to run a swaybar in the back. Seems messed up. it is all over the road. The owner is very capable but is 76 years old and local shop that did the install has not been much help. They could not tell him what the two slotted silver nuts did. I could not find them mentioned on Rebels site either. he did say he asked for a wrench but rebel told him they don't have one for them.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-09-2019, 10:15 AM
JKO Addict!

The coil rates should be shown on the side of coil in white print. The number shows the diameter, length, and coil rate. The coil rate should also be engraved in the flat top of the coil but you have to remove it to see it. You may also have to adjust the length of the upper coil if ride height is way too high.

Some build info here:

Last edited by thedirtman; 11-09-2019 at 10:30 AM.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-09-2019, 10:24 AM
JKO Addict!

The secondary nuts can be rotated by hand once you break them loose. There is an o-ring between them that locks them into place. I use a screwdriver or flat chisel to break them loose. I also make sure the body is clean and spry it down with silicon to make them turn easy. Depending your up/ down travel ratio you typically place those rings 2-3" above the coil divider when the jeep is at ride height. This action stops the upper coil from compressing and greatly increases the coil rate by only using the bottom coil during the rest of the suspension compression.

Some build info here:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode