• 1 Post By gt1guy
  • 1 Post By Punchlikeaflea
  • 1 Post By gt1guy
  • 1 Post By gt1guy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 10-15-2019, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Motor swaps? Hotrod style

Anyone know of any builds of tearing everything out and running a stand-alone ls or the new Cummins?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 JK Rubicon 37 Trepadors
WonTons in the process
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-16-2019, 07:38 AM
JKowners Vendor

You will end up with a buggy as nothing connected to the Jeep's computer will work.

Dealer for: MoTech, Atlas, Dynatrac, Rock Krawler, ORO, Currie, Poison Spyder, Bilstein, Fox, SWAY-A-WAY, Ridid, Adams and Tom Woods DS's. And much more!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-16-2019, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Full aware of that Itíd be custom everything just questions on a heater and stereo. All the nice perks of the Jeep, I got roll down windows already so that doesnít bother me.

WonTons in the process
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 10-16-2019, 08:47 AM
JKO Addict!

I believe @gt1guy is doing a vintage air setup and some aftermarket radio?

post #5 of 13 Old 10-16-2019, 10:17 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Performance, Inc View Post
You will end up with a buggy as nothing connected to the Jeep's computer will work.
That's not entirely true. Kowboy rewired his Jeep hotrod style with an American Autowire system and was able to reuse the factory AC. He did use custom gauges to replace the factory cluster and a custom dash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
I believe @gt1guy is doing a vintage air setup and some aftermarket radio?
Yep.

I'm using a Painless Wiring system, hotrod style, for the chassis. PSI stand alone harness for the LS. Vintage Air Gen II ac system. Basically the ac runs stand alone also. Using trinary switches on the high and low pressure sides to control the fans for ac.
Stereo can be whatever you want when you're doing hotrod style wiring. I just bought a marine stereo to slap in there. I don't need big tunes so I'm figuring a couple speakers will do me fine.

I don't have anything Jeep left in my Jeep. Jeep ECU, TIPM, ABS, air bags, wiring, fuel syst, all gone. I'm just using the tub, the doors and about 5' of the frame. I don't even have a Jeep OBDII port anymore, I have a Chevy one.

If you're planing to drive on the street, know what you have to deal with for registration/inspections/smog.

Here's my build, I actually tried to keep the Jeep wiring in the begining.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/modif...-build-26.html
Punchlikeaflea likes this.

Kevin

Last edited by gt1guy; 10-16-2019 at 10:19 AM.
post #6 of 13 Old 10-16-2019, 01:43 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Might as well add Kowboy's build thread. Note: he took over the previous owner's thread
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/modif...550-hp-42.html

2009 JKU
post #7 of 13 Old 10-18-2019, 10:13 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKommuter View Post
Might as well add Kowboy's build thread. Note: he took over the previous owner's thread
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/modif...550-hp-42.html

Damn I dropped the ball on posting his thread. Good catch.

Kowboy came by my house and really talked me into doing the hotrod wiring sooner than later. I didn't have a good excuse not to, all the wiring was already out. When I told him the Jeep always thought the key was still in it...........he just gave me "that look".

Kevin
post #8 of 13 Old 10-18-2019, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
Damn I dropped the ball on posting his thread. Good catch.

Kowboy came by my house and really talked me into doing the hotrod wiring sooner than later. I didn't have a good excuse not to, all the wiring was already out. When I told him the Jeep always thought the key was still in it...........he just gave me "that look".

Hmm Iíve been reading thru your thread here on Tapatalk but most of the pictures wonít load. So makes it a little bit harder to fully see what you are doing. But itís the route Iím going with. Iíve had a few friends try to talk me out of it. But just hoping to be done by next spring.

ChuckTheRipper likes this.

WonTons in the process
post #9 of 13 Old 10-18-2019, 11:44 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchlikeaflea View Post
Hmm Iíve been reading thru your thread here on Tapatalk but most of the pictures wonít load. So makes it a little bit harder to fully see what you are doing. But itís the route Iím going with. Iíve had a few friends try to talk me out of it. But just hoping to be done by next spring.

The pics are fucked up? I thought I fixed them all a while back. I'll look into it.

Here's another build I just thought of.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/modif...-stickies.html

Kevin
post #10 of 13 Old 10-18-2019, 12:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I just checked every page on my build thread, all the pics are there. Must be a Tapaphone thing. I never really use my phone for anything other than calls and texts so I have no idea what the deal could be.

Kevin
post #11 of 13 Old 10-18-2019, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
I just checked every page on my build thread, all the pics are there. Must be a Tapaphone thing. I never really use my phone for anything other than calls and texts so I have no idea what the deal could be.

Figured it was the app, havenít had an issue on the home computer. I really need to go thru it before I bombard you with questions.

WonTons in the process
post #12 of 13 Old 10-19-2019, 08:54 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchlikeaflea View Post
But just hoping to be done by next spring.

It can sure 'nough be done ... but ain't nothin' easy 'bout it. I was surprised how much electronic, computer shit there still is with a modern, "stand-alone" engine.

I hope to fuck to never ... EVER ... do anything again even half as crazy as my JK build. BUT ... if'n I was to ... I'd go even older old-school and drop in a friggin' carbureted engine with a throttle cable. Simple fuse panel for the chassis lights. And I'd start with a CJ and save 'bout a billion dollars.

The simpler it is ... the less likely it's gonna leave your ass on the side of the road.

I love my JK now ... but they're a poor choice as an extreme build platform. Just too complicated.

Carry on ...

My Trailer Queen don't ride on one ... it pulls one.
post #13 of 13 Old 10-19-2019, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOWBOY View Post
It can sure 'nough be done ... but ain't nothin' easy 'bout it. I was surprised how much electronic, computer shit there still is with a modern, "stand-alone" engine.

I hope to fuck to never ... EVER ... do anything again even half as crazy as my JK build. BUT ... if'n I was to ... I'd go even older old-school and drop in a friggin' carbureted engine with a throttle cable. Simple fuse panel for the chassis lights. And I'd start with a CJ and save 'bout a billion dollars.

The simpler it is ... the less likely it's gonna leave your ass on the side of the road.

I love my JK now ... but they're a poor choice as an extreme build platform. Just too complicated.

Carry on ...

I do agree with that, I do wish I started with a TJ or Yj seeing as I have a two door. Would have made life a LOT easier. But I donít think Iíd ever have a carb. Had a few that ruined it for me. The ls Iím getting is a drive by cable so hopefully it wonít be too bad with the stand alone harness...

WonTons in the process
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode