Sterling 10.5 clearance issues in a 2012 2 door JK - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Crawlex

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 10-03-2019, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Sterling 10.5 clearance issues in a 2012 2 door JK

First of all, I have searched. I have read every post about Sterling axles that I can find and this issue is still clear as mud to me.

I am dropping coin to have someone build me a Sterling / Super Duty axle set. I need real answers from people who have been through it.

The differential in the 10.5 Sterling axles was off-set to the passenger side starting in 2005 (by ~3.5 to the passenger side). So fitting a 2005+ 10.5 axle under a JK is a different than a pre-2005 10.5 axle.

There is a lot of conflicting information on this forum, particularly one liner statements with no background and no straight answers on this topic; especially when it comes to differentiating between 2005+ axles and pre-2005 axles.

My questions are:

1. Can a 2005+ axle fit with the stock gas tank with a rear stretch or will the drive shaft make contact? If so how much stretch is needed.

2. Can a pre-2005 axle fit in the stock location and clear the gas tank? Or will a stretch also be required, if so how much stretch is needed?

In you post specify whether your experience is with a 2005+ or pre-2005 axle and whether you have a 2-door or 4-door. This will vastly help future searchers. I am trying to verify fitment into a 2-door, JK stock gas tank, 3.5 lift. I dont want a fuel cell in the cabin, nor do I want a genright because I would ultimately like to do an 8 rear stretch. If there are any fuel cell options that I am missing, I suppose I may be open to it. However, I would prefer to keep the fuel tank in the stock location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-03-2019, 08:26 AM
Wheeler

Just ran into this same issue, I did the syngery 8 stretch on my two door and I dont hve clearance issue with my DS now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 JK Rubicon 37 Trepadors
WonTons in the process
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-03-2019, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Which Sterling axle do you have? 2005+ or Pre-2005 ???
SLOWPOKE693 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-04-2019, 02:43 PM
Granite Guru

Not an answer to your question but FYI AAM10.25//14 bolts are really awesome, set up easy, cheap, tons of aftermarket, FF, and fit great in a JK.
I'd run the numbers to make a Sterling fit vs a 14B and see what you think for yourself.

08 JKU
78 Fj-40
67 M715
47 CJ-2A
post #5 of 5 Old 11-02-2019, 08:28 PM

Which Sterling axle do you have? 2005+ or Pre-2005
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode