Exhaust Hangers - What's The Difference??? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ExWrench

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 09-27-2019, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Exhaust Hangers - What's The Difference???

Anyone know what's going on with these brown exhaust hangers? They appear to be shaped the same as the stock JK hangers, but they're used on the Grand Cherokee near the rear resonators and center muffler. They're also used on other Mopars.

I'm thinking the brown hangers are made of some sort of modified or synthetic rubber for improved heat tolerance, but not sure. They are about 5x more expensive than the JK hangers...
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-28-2019, 08:05 AM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockystock View Post
Anyone know what's going on with these brown exhaust hangers? They appear to be shaped the same as the stock JK hangers, but they're used on the Grand Cherokee near the rear resonators and center muffler. They're also used on other Mopars.

I'm thinking the brown hangers are made of some sort of modified or synthetic rubber for improved heat tolerance, but not sure. They are about 5x more expensive than the JK hangers...
Huh, never heard of 'em

The factory JK exhaust isolator is a 52059929AA.

What's the P/N on the spendy rubber bit?

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #3 of 11 Old 09-28-2019, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Sorry about that - should have posted the part # 05103520AB

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-28-2019, 11:03 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Sorry about that - should have posted the part # 05103520AB

I can't find that one listed as a JK replacement part.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-28-2019, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
I can't find that one listed as a JK replacement part.
That's right - they use it on other vehicles. From what I can tell by looking at the parts diagrams, they either use it when it's closer to the pipe (little clearance / more heat?) and/or near the exhaust tips (keeping the tips in position better?). They're also more expensive, so I'm guessing the different material is more firm and/or more heat resistant.

Back story: I'm replacing a set of crappy aftermarket hanger grommets for either these brown hangers, the black JK OEM, or polyurethane hangers.

post #6 of 11 Old 09-28-2019, 04:31 PM
Random Dude

Exhaust Hangers - What's The Difference???

Looking at the 2 closely now, here's my take:

Name:  Exhaust hanger comparo.JPG
Views: 68
Size:  124.7 KB

• Unless you've changed your exhaust to cook the hangers, you don't need the expensive one.
  • Unless you have stiffer motor mounts, you don't want the expensive one.
  • No shit: the cheaper one is better for most of us, even for the same price.

Our exhaust hanger has intentional geometry that allows it more flex. Our body-on-frame (BOF) construction and soft-ish motor mounts let the engine/ trans / tcase wiggle a lot, so our exhaust needs room to dance along. Our (factory) exhaust spaces the hangers away from the piping so they don't need high heat resistance.

Having recently replaced the 70k+ mile originals on my 2010, I'd say they were perfect for the job. Replaced with original type.

The spendy (therefore tempting to think they'd be a step up) exhaust hangers do you zero added good unless you've reduced hanger standoff and are cooking hangers. The higher stiffness of the spendy hangers could cause fatigue cracking of exhaust stuff unless you're running motor mounts stiffer than factory. The stiffer, heat resistant motor mount is designed for unibody vehicles that have less "frame" flex, need to package exhaust more tightly, and don't have room to let it wiggle.

My vote = respect the needs of your BOF vehicle, feed it the low-cost hangers it craves, and enjoy the savings

Oh, and treat yourself to a pair of hanger pliers if you don't have 'em
rockystock likes this.

-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ExWrench; 09-28-2019 at 04:33 PM.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-28-2019, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
Looking at the 2 closely now, here's my take:

Attachment 338526

• Unless you've changed your exhaust to cook the hangers, you don't need the expensive one.
  • Unless you have stiffer motor mounts, you don't want the expensive one.
  • No shit: the cheaper one is better for most of us, even for the same price.

Our exhaust hanger has intentional geometry that allows it more flex. Our body-on-frame (BOF) construction and soft-ish motor mounts let the engine/ trans / tcase wiggle a lot, so our exhaust needs room to dance along. Our (factory) exhaust spaces the hangers away from the piping so they don't need high heat resistance.

Having recently replaced the 70k+ mile originals on my 2010, I'd say they were perfect for the job. Replaced with original type.

The spendy (therefore tempting to think they'd be a step up) exhaust hangers do you zero added good unless you've reduced hanger standoff and are cooking hangers. The higher stiffness of the spendy hangers could cause fatigue cracking of exhaust stuff unless you're running motor mounts stiffer than factory. The stiffer, heat resistant motor mount is designed for unibody vehicles that have less "frame" flex, need to package exhaust more tightly, and don't have room to let it wiggle.

My vote = respect the needs of your BOF vehicle, feed it the low-cost hangers it craves, and enjoy the savings

Oh, and treat yourself to a pair of hanger pliers if you don't have 'em
Completely agree. I wouldn't even think about the brown hangers if my $h!t was still stock, or even aftermarket made for JK. However, I'm trying to sort out a diy system (I'm doing that crazy hemi exhaust) and will almost certainly have the next round of hangers pretty close to the tubes, definitely closer than stock in a few places.

Thanks again. I'll get a couple and post up the noticeable differences.

post #8 of 11 Old 09-28-2019, 08:10 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Completely agree. I wouldn't even think about the brown hangers if my $h!t was still stock, or even aftermarket made for JK. However, I'm trying to sort out a diy system (I'm doing that crazy hemi exhaust) and will almost certainly have the next round of hangers pretty close to the tubes, definitely closer than stock in a few places.

Thanks again. I'll get a couple and post up the noticeable differences.

You can run a near-rigid system downstream of adequate flex joints.
Lateral constraint = OK, allow for lengthwise growth w/ temperature change.

post #9 of 11 Old 09-28-2019, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
You can run a near-rigid system downstream of adequate flex joints.
Lateral constraint = OK, allow for lengthwise growth w/ temperature change.
That's what I have now - a fairly rigid system with flex joints. Problem is the little blue silicone grommets restricted pretty well in all directions, and didn't hold up against the heat and lengthwise force with the thermal expansion. They'd probably work better if they were made of some more heat resistant material; but I think they're just an overall poor design for exhaust service.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-29-2019, 08:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
That's what I have now - a fairly rigid system with flex joints. Problem is the little blue silicone grommets restricted pretty well in all directions, and didn't hold up against the heat and lengthwise force with the thermal expansion. They'd probably work better if they were made of some more heat resistant material; but I think they're just an overall poor design for exhaust service.
Didn't you build your exhaust out of stainless? Stainless expands and grows waaaay more than a mild steel system would. Just something to keep in mind.

Kevin
post #11 of 11 Old 09-30-2019, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
Didn't you build your exhaust out of stainless? Stainless expands and grows waaaay more than a mild steel system would. Just something to keep in mind.
Yep. I'll post up some more detail on the little grommets soon on the other thread. I think they have other shortcomings.

Last edited by rockystock; 09-30-2019 at 03:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode