steering opinion - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By j3ff3ry_j33p

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 09-26-2019, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

steering opinion

I have a 2007 jku rubi with 3.5inch lift on 35s. It time for a new tie rod, drag link and ball joints. I am looking at the teraflex hd drag link and tie rod with their ball joints. The other one is the smart steer no drill flip drag link. Any opinions welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-26-2019, 11:47 AM
JKO Addict!

This is a forum. You are going to get everyone's opinion.

For drag link and tie rod, I have run Rock Krawler and Fusion 4x4. Both are aluminum and bad ass. I recommend either of those.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-26-2019, 11:59 AM
Wheeler

Garage

I replaced my ball joints with Teraflex, so far so good, only got about 8-10K on them. I like the fact that they can be adjusted and rebuilt. A tie rod will be my next purchase and I will be going aluminum with 1 ton ends from 7 slot customs(barnes 4x4).
If you do the drag link flip make sure you have a raised track bar bracket to get everything(TB & DL) back to parallel.

You can have a savings account or a Jeep.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 10-01-2019, 05:04 PM
JKowners Vendor

All those mentioned are quality products. Yes, as @JeeperJoe mentioned, you should aslo get the raised track bar mount to maintain proper geometry. I sell both Rock Krawler and Steer Smarts yeti products. Hit me up if you would like pricing. If so, shoot me a PM, or email with zip code and details to remind me.

Have a blessed and prosperous day!

Allen

Allen's Offroad - 530-620-1100
Email me at:

FREE SHIPPING on orders of $99.99 or more.

post #5 of 13 Old 10-02-2019, 08:01 PM
Wheeler

Garage

I have Synergy ball joints on 2 Jeeps, and they have been great. One set has about 40k, and no signs of wear. As for tie rods and drag links, while I have a preference for Synergy, you can’t go wrong with any of the major brands. That said, bear in mind that if you harden these components you are moving the stress further up the line, namely to your steering box. If you are a street or mild off road driver, no issues. If you are going to go on aggressive trails, you are going to need to go with a hydro assist, or a big bore steering box when you go to a heavy duty tie rod / drag link. Or chance breaking a sector shaft on the trail...

Option #3, keep the stock tie rod and drag link, and know you are going to bend them on the trail... at least you can drive home with that! 🙄

It’s all about how much and where you want to spend your $$$! JEEP: just empty every pocket! 😂

Broke, Happy and Wheelin!
post #6 of 13 Old 10-02-2019, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

to add to your necessary research, Synergy Mfg now has a lifetime balljoint

post #7 of 13 Old 10-03-2019, 07:37 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
i always wonder how a company (any company for that matter) can offer a lifetime warranty on a wearable part? Is there fine print or something?

post #8 of 13 Old 10-03-2019, 09:24 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
Lifetime or rebuildable?
post #9 of 13 Old 10-03-2019, 10:46 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
i always wonder how a company (any company for that matter) can offer a lifetime warranty on a wearable part? Is there fine print or something?
They charge you twice the price and figure that the "lifetime" of the Owner having that vehicle won't last more than two sets?

Chase Weston
post #10 of 13 Old 10-04-2019, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post

I asked that same question when introduced to the offer of running
them (instead of a 3rd, wrrnty-replaced set) last spring.

they are
" adjustable" - the preload tension can be taken out of each lower balljoint as the usage & mileage accrued

" lifetime" - due to the fact that you will not have to ever again press-out the lower balljoint since it is

" rebuildable " - which means , once the preload can no longer be tightened to remove any play from the inevitable wear in the load bearing lower , you can fully disassemble the innards of the balljoint while leaving the cap that's pressed-in the "C" in place . Then , install new guts by screwing in the replacement (ballpin, preload spring , a small liner cap & a 1/16" guidepin ) to start fresh again.

having pressed out 4 total sets of balljoints on my Jeep jku , these sounded awesome to me.

I told myself I wasn't going to advertise for Synergy Mfg on here any more, but felt I needed to explain since @ALASHA & @cjindna asked those
valid questions.

jvandy50 likes this.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 10-04-2019 at 06:27 AM. Reason: gramma & detail update
post #11 of 13 Old 10-04-2019, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightJK View Post
They charge you twice the price and figure that the "lifetime" of the Owner having that vehicle won't last more than two sets?

honestly, this was my initial thought,too. they're pretty decent kit , tho. I am running and will put them thru paces. Synergy ran over 500,000 R&D miles on sets on their rigs.

post #12 of 13 Old 10-04-2019, 07:43 AM
JKO Addict!

Man that feels like some marketing lingo to me. Dont get me wrong, the need to not have to press them out ever again is awesome but lifetime to me is I dont have to spend anymore time/money on them ever again. Im betting you would need to buy the replacement parts when the time comes?

post #13 of 13 Old 10-04-2019, 12:58 PM
Granite Guru

Thanks for the mention. Lots of info here including a link to the installation instructions which also includes rebuild instructions and how to adjust the ball joint preload with the vehicle on the ground and without having to remove a wheel.
https://www.synergymfg.com/synergy-j...joint-kit.html

The ball joints have a lifetime warranty that covers defects in materials or workmanship. A rebuild kit for the set of ball joints is $75.00. And like Jefferey said, they can be rebuilt without having to press the ball joints out of the C's. This is the lifetime aspect of the ball joints.

If anyone has additional questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Chris Steimle
Product Manager

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode